The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?

CWood21

On 2/27/2019 at 11:04 AM, MOSteelers56 said:

Maybe this will be the year Molina starts getting breathers. I like Wieters' bat quite a bit more than Pena too. Neither are good, but when Pena makes solid contact it's a single. When Wieters gets into one, it's a bomb. I'm all about dingers

That's probably the reasoning behind signing Wieters.  I think they're tired of having a lifeless bat behind Molina.  Pena is a near automatic out when he comes up to the plate.

Wacha looked good over the weekend. Most of our relievers did not. Dan mentioned on Saturday how Leone could be the odd man out in the bullpen because he has options left. Never really even considered him starting the year down in Memphis.  

I thought for sure Munoz broke his wrist on Saturday. And O'Neil has looked good, I'll take all the Ks if he walks and mashes at this rate. 

1 hour ago, StLunatic88 said:

Sadly hes probably gonna have to do it from the bench if everyone is healthy. Because we seemed determined to force this Fowler thing

I mean, you can't really put $17M on the bench.  They'll get their AB at some point.

2 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I mean, you can't really put $17M on the bench.  They'll get their AB at some point.

Thats a bad way to approach how to build a good ball club. You absolutely can put him on the bench if you have better options that dont cost you anything to use.

If I was suggesting to go pay another OF to replace Fowler, then sure, you could say we are already allocating $17m to that spot. But the fact that we already have O'Niell, Martinez, etc. on the roster it doesnt cost us anything extra to play the best talent.

Fowler is already a sunk cost, and should be treated as such. I understand not wanting to cut him, risking that we end up paying him Millions to produce for another club, but if he wants ABs for us, he should have to earn them, and his paycheck doesnt do that. Not to mention, making him a bench player is probably the only way he waives his NTC unequivocally for us to get the most useful return.

Still cant believe would couldnt have found a bad contract that we could swap him for that would have been more useful (like a SP or Reliever) 

I kind of agree @StLunatic88 but I don't think Fowler is a sunk cost just yet. He was terrible last year but I'm ok with giving him one more shot this year. He has been a really good hitter his whole career. If he doesn't shape up, ditch him and go with O'Neil or Cafecito. 

Also, I was just thinking about this but I'd love to see Matt Holliday breaking into the league now, as opposed to when he did. I would have liked to see what he could have done with the launch angle and uppercut swing revolution. 80-120 dingers a year, that's my conservative guess. 

4 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

Thats a bad way to approach how to build a good ball club. You absolutely can put him on the bench if you have better options that dont cost you anything to use.

If I was suggesting to go pay another OF to replace Fowler, then sure, you could say we are already allocating $17m to that spot. But the fact that we already have O'Niell, Martinez, etc. on the roster it doesnt cost us anything extra to play the best talent.

Fowler is already a sunk cost, and should be treated as such. I understand not wanting to cut him, risking that we end up paying him Millions to produce for another club, but if he wants ABs for us, he should have to earn them, and his paycheck doesnt do that. Not to mention, making him a bench player is probably the only way he waives his NTC unequivocally for us to get the most useful return.

Still cant believe would couldnt have found a bad contract that we could swap him for that would have been more useful (like a SP or Reliever) 

Let's look at this objectively, there's what maybe a 1% chance that Fowler is as bad as he was last year?  I mean, by every single statistic he was well below his career norms and well below MLB average.  He's going to get a chance to rebound.  Why is O'Neill allowed multiple opportunities but Fowler isn't?

But if Fowler is bad as you think he is, why would any team be willing to take him on?

13 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Let's look at this objectively, there's what maybe a 1% chance that Fowler is as bad as he was last year?  I mean, by every single statistic he was well below his career norms and well below MLB average.  He's going to get a chance to rebound.  Why is O'Neill allowed multiple opportunities but Fowler isn't?

But if Fowler is bad as you think he is, why would any team be willing to take him on?

You honestly think theres only A 1% chance? Id say more people would believe that is closer to what he is now, as he reaches 33 and hasnt held up for a season since hes been here. And yes, the 24 year old is going to get more chances than the 33 year old, especially when he put up double the WAR last year in less than Half the ABs.(according to some measures) 

You have way more faith in Fowler than I think any other person Ive ever seen talk about him. Last year he was supposed to be getting a chance to rebound from a disappointing 2017, and he was even worse. We have other options (not just O'Neill) and Fowler hasnt shown anything other than he should be a Utility OF that should be no higher than a 7-hole hitter. But because we gave him an awful contract he has gotten preferential treatment, and plenty of excuses made for him. With next to nothing to show for it. Are we going to go through years 4 & 5 of his contract also saying "give him a chance to rebound"?

There are plenty of bad contracts around the league, I am not expecting that we would get anything useful to move him, but basically a salary swap to clear the logjam in the OF, and maybe have a less hindering piece? I didnt suggest we would be trading him for Sydergard or anything like that