The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?

CWood21

2 hours ago, holt_bruce81 said:

Not that it matters much...but Gregerson has looked good in his rehab stints... 

last 6 appearances...

6.0 IP, 3 hits, 1 run, 0 walks, 7 strikeouts, .143 BAA 

I hope he comes back and dominates ala 2014...

Not expecting it though...

21 minutes ago, ttitansfan4life said:

You can tell the B team is playing tonight with all these errors.

No doubt. I do like that Schildt gave multiple big dogs in the offense the night off at once instead of staggering them all...

I like that he picked today even more after already taking 3 of 4 already, against a tough pitcher and before a huge road series with Chicago...

29 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

No doubt. I do like that Schildt gave multiple big dogs in the offense the night off at once instead of staggering them all...

I like that he picked today even more after already taking 3 of 4 already, against a tough pitcher and before a huge road series with Chicago...

Oh yea it was definitely smart by Shildt. And Carp strikes out again.... 

Cardinals are quietly building nice depth at the Catcher position, anyone been following these guys. Besides Andrew Knizner obviously....

Julio Rodriguez C, 21 years old (High-A) 

.328 BA, .397 OBP, 2 HR, 2 2B, 8 RBI...7.4% walk-rate, 17.6% K-rate, .405 wOBA, 163 wRC+ 

- Rodriguez is known for his Glove, might be the best defensive catcher in the system, it’s between he and Dennis Ortega. It’s only been 17 games so not trying to overreact here with what he’s doing at the plate, but it’s definitely a pleasant surprise. 

Ivan Herrera C, 18 years old (Low A)

.306 BA, .417 OBP,  3 HR, 2 2B, 8 RBI...15% walk-rate, 23.3% k-rate, .438 wOBA, 165 wRC+ 

- Herrera’s bat is legit, love that the Cardinals were aggressive with him and started him in Peoria. He and Gorman are two of the youngest players in that league. The question with him though is can he stick behind the plate. He’s got a 35% caught stealing rate this season, but have heard his pop up needs a lot of work. 

- Another catcher worth keeping your eye on is Carlos Soto (20 years old) Hasn’t started his season yet, I’d imagine he starts the year in State College. Held his own in Rookie ball the last few years. Lots of power potential...big boy at 6’3 220 so his days as a catcher are probably coming to an end soon. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ttitansfan4life said:

And 4 strikeouts for O’Neal... woof

In 39 ABs this year, O’Neil has struck out 18 times and has only walked once. This is not good. That’s a 46.2% K-rate and a 2.5% walk-rate....YIKES. 

At this point why keep him up here? Have him get his ABs in AAA and either call up Thomas or Adolis if you feel you need a 5th OF....or make it an 8 man pen. 

Which now I’m wondering if they’re planning on doing that....sending O’Neil down makes a lot of sense, 8-man BP could happen soon. 

10 hours ago, ttitansfan4life said:

And 4 strikeouts for O’Neal... woof

Anyone else starting to regret that trade now? Obviously, it's in hindsight as Gonzales was expendable at the time and wasn't viewed as more than BOR starter...

I agree with @holt_bruce81 O'Neill needs to go down to Memphis. It's hard to come back from injury and get your timing/swing back sitting on the bench 2 out of every 3 games. Let him go down and get right...

5 hours ago, holt_bruce81 said:

In 39 ABs this year, O’Neil has struck out 18 times and has only walked once. This is not good. That’s a 46.2% K-rate and a 2.5% walk-rate....YIKES. 

At this point why keep him up here? Have him get his ABs in AAA and either call up Thomas or Adolis if you feel you need a 5th OF....or make it an 8 man pen. 

Which now I’m wondering if they’re planning on doing that....sending O’Neil down makes a lot of sense, 8-man BP could happen soon. 

You think it's Helsley that gets the call up?