The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?

CWood21

Don’t look now, but Johan Oviedo is killing it in High-A. 

5-0, 1.60 ERA, 33.2 IP, 35 strikeouts, 12 walks....that walk-rate is significantly better then where it was last season. (3.20 BB/9 this season compared to 5.84 BB/9 last season) 

Oviedo was signed out of Cuba for $1.9 million back in 2016. Gotta think a call up to AA is going to happen soon. 

• Like 1

Oh and there’s also this guy named Andrew Knizner who keeps raking...

.329 BA, .397 OBP, 3 doubles, 1 HR, 8 RBI 

9.5% walk-rate, 9.5% K-rate, 120 wRC+ 

More extra base hits obviously would be nice. But the main thing this season with Knizner is going to be the progress he makes behind the plate. Because his bat is big league ready...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ttitansfan4life said:

Wtf Carp. Strikeout machine these past two games

First time in Carps career he’s struck out this much in a 3-game span. Hopefully he’s got it out of his system, because we definitely need him to be on his game for these next 2 matchups. 

1 hour ago, ttitansfan4life said:

Thought about going to tonight’s game but couldn’t get off work early enough. Hopefully our lineup can beat Scherzer and Mikolas can finally put a good start together.

He had an 8 inning, 2 run outing back in 4/20, so I wouldn’t say he hasn’t had a good start yet...

I agree though, they’ve been too few and far between...

So it looks like Luke Gregerson is going to be activated any day now....and I really have No idea who gets sent down. It’s most likely between....Tyler Webb, Dominic Leone and Giovanny Gallegos 

In my opinion Webb should be the guy, but then you’d only have one lefty in the Pen. Which I think I’m ok with, I think The Lefty/Lefty matchups are a tad overblown. 

But then when Carlos comes back, who you sending down? And yes I know Things usually work themselves out...I’m sure there’ll be an injury somewhere before then. Giovanny has looked really good his last 6 outings (.150 BAA). 

5 hours ago, holt_bruce81 said:

So it looks like Luke Gregerson is going to be activated any day now....and I really have No idea who gets sent down. It’s most likely between....Tyler Webb, Dominic Leone and Giovanny Gallegos 

In my opinion Webb should be the guy, but then you’d only have one lefty in the Pen. Which I think I’m ok with, I think The Lefty/Lefty matchups are a tad overblown. 

But then when Carlos comes back, who you sending down? And yes I know Things usually work themselves out...I’m sure there’ll be an injury somewhere before then. Giovanny has looked really good his last 6 outings (.150 BAA). 

I think it'll be Leone and Webb that go down for Gregerson and Martinez. I know Martinez hasn't been fantastic against lefties but I think his stuff works better out of the pen. Gregerson is going to be an interesting addition. I wonder what his role will be?

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I think it'll be Leone and Webb that go down for Gregerson and Martinez. I know Martinez hasn't been fantastic against lefties but I think his stuff works better out of the pen. Gregerson is going to be an interesting addition. I wonder what his role will be?

I agree. I think it'll be Webb and Leone that get sent down. Gallegos has been outstanding and Schildt obviously likes him. He's used him frequently in big spots...

Not sur what Gregerson role will be. Can't expect much out of him at this point...

52 minutes ago, ttitansfan4life said:

Yea I really don’t see the point in bringing Gregorson back. They can’t be expecting much from him.

Think they're just trying to get something for their money spent at this point...

If he sucks, I think we'll cut bait. Too many good internal options to suppress...

• Like 1