The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?

CWood21

6 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Yeah, he's good as gone. I'd just like to get something for him while we can. I'm sure he'll get a QO, but I'd rather have a prospect package.

Why are you guys so convinced he's getting moved or let go?  The Cardinals traded for him.  I don't remember the last time they gave up a good haul of prospects, and not try and re-sign that player.

11 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Why are you guys so convinced he's getting moved or let go?  The Cardinals traded for him.  I don't remember the last time they gave up a good haul of prospects, and not try and re-sign that player.

I don't think he gets moved. I do think he's gone though in FA.

-With all the extensions handed out, Ozuna actually looks to be the top available FA heading into the offseason.

-He seems to have rubbed the FO the wrong way with his approach to rehabbing his shoulder.

-He continues to play abysmal defense

-DGoold referenced in an interview a few weeks back that he thought it was less than 50% chance Ozuna would be resigned. He mentioned usually when Cards want a guy back, they push his agent before he becomes a FA about their interest in extending them. He said Cards haven't even kicked the tires so far...

I don't think we see Ozuna or Wacha on this team next year. Which I'm not really sure how I feel about that. Hopefully Wacha signs his qualifying offer or maybe sign him to a 2-3 year deal, with his injury history I don't really want to invest a lot of years in him, but when he's healthy he's a solid #3 for us. 

It was either Hummel or Goold who in one of their chats when asked about best case scenario for Wacha for the 2019 season, said something to the effect of.....Makes 30 starts, finishes top 10 in CY voting, helps team make the playoffs, Team gets Comp pick for him. Almost like, no matter how good he does, team is looking to move on....

Edited by holt_bruce81

3 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

I don't think he gets moved. I do think he's gone though in FA.

-With all the extensions handed out, Ozuna actually looks to be the top available FA heading into the offseason.

-He seems to have rubbed the FO the wrong way with his approach to rehabbing his shoulder.

-He continues to play abysmal defense

-DGoold referenced in an interview a few weeks back that he thought it was less than 50% chance Ozuna would be resigned. He mentioned usually when Cards want a guy back, they push his agent before he becomes a FA about their interest in extending them. He said Cards haven't even kicked the tires so far...

Unless Ozuna was willing to do a team-friendly extension (which he probably wasn't given how close he was to FA), odds are there wasn't an extension to be had.  Especially with how poor of a season he had last year.  Defensively, he was never as good as his GG says he was.  He's an average defender who probably needs an elite defensive CF next to him. Nothing wrong with that as long as he continues to hit.

2 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I wouldn't mind keeping him. I like Ozuna. I like the flair he plays with and I think last year was an aberration. I just don't know if we can keep O'Neil on the bench for very much longer. But idk, maybe we can somehow get rid of Fowler and play O'Neil in RF. 

O'Neill is going to end up in RF one way or the other.  Eventually if Fowler doesn't figure things out, he's going to get jettisoned.  Whether it be a situation like Mike Leake where they eat a bunch of salary, or they outright release him.  And I think the Cardinals legitimately want Fowler around.

2 hours ago, holt_bruce81 said:

I don't think we see Ozuna or Wacha on this team next year. Which I'm not really sure how I feel about that. Hopefully Wacha signs his qualifying offer or maybe sign him to a 2-3 year deal, with his injury history I don't really want to invest a lot of years in him, but when he's healthy he's a solid #3 for us. 

It was either Hummel or Goold who in one of their chats when asked about best case scenario for Wacha for the 2019 season, said something to the effect of.....Makes 30 starts, finishes top 10 in CY voting, helps team make the playoffs, Team gets Comp pick for him. Almost like, no matter how good he does, team is looking to move on....

Michael Wacha is almost certainly gone.  I think there's maybe a 5% chance that Wacha sticks around.  Someone's going to overpay him given the lack of quality pitching.  The only thing that concerns me is that we don't have any obvious replacements for him.  Next year, you have Miles Mikolas, Carlos Martinez, and Jack Flaherty as locks for the rotation.  Depending on how Dakota Hudson does this season, he figures to get one of the SP spots.  Given the uncertainty regarding Alex Reyes right now, it's a toss-up with him.  I supposed Ryan Helsley could be in the mix, but he seems destined for the bullpen.  Not sure Springfield has anything either.

48 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Unless Ozuna was willing to do a team-friendly extension (which he probably wasn't given how close he was to FA), odds are there wasn't an extension to be had.  Especially with how poor of a season he had last year.  Defensively, he was never as good as his GG says he was.  He's an average defender who probably needs an elite defensive CF next to him. Nothing wrong with that as long as he continues to hit.

Right, but the fact that we didn't even approach the subject or let his camp know we're open to discussion speaks volumes...

I'm echoing what the beat writers are feeling. It's a much higher chance he's gone than returning...