The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?

CWood21

21 hours ago, holt_bruce81 said:

Carlos Martinez is going to make one last rehab appearance tonight and then join the team in Texas this weekend. 

I still say this is a dumb move. We dont need another BP arm, we need a Starter back, even if that isnt until the ASB. 

31 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

I still say this is a dumb move. We dont need another BP arm, we need a Starter back, even if that isnt until the ASB. 

I'm hoping the move to the bullpen is a short term thing. I read something that it was kind of mental with him. I'm hoping he gets more comfortable with the shoulder and as the season progresses they stretch him out.

Like I said Before....if the Cardinals are so set on Carlos in the BP, then they need to give a guy like Ponce or Gomber a chance in the rotation. 

Send Webb down and call up Gomber (love Ponce but his walk-rate in Memphis scares me). And then move Hudson to the pen. Having 2 Lefty relievers is overrated. 

With the draft a little more than 2 weeks away, I’ve done a little research on some of these guys and here are a few I like that could be there at our pick (#19). 

1. Corbin Carroll OF, L/L, Lakeview HS:  

- The chance of him being there at our pick is slim, but hey Gorman wasnt supposed to be there either. And I’ve been seeing Carroll slowly start to drop in the Mocks I’ve seen, when a month ago he was a top 10 Lock it seemed. Only question I have About Carroll is will the power develop? Because he’s got plus tools all across the board elsewhere besides Arm. 

2. Jack Leiter RHP, Delbarton HS:

- Love love love Leiter, unfortunately everything I’ve read says he’s pretty much an impossible sign. Nothing special about his FB as he averages 92-94, but his Curve and change up are above average....I’ll go as far as calling his Curve a potential elite pitch. And his mechanics and command are outstanding. 

3. Brennan Malone RHP, IMG Academy:

- From BA:

Overall, Malone might have the best combination of current stuff and future projection of any prep pitcher in the 2019 draft class, and while he is committed to North Carolina, he should get drafted at some point in the middle of the first round this June.

4. Brett Baty 3B, L/R, Lake Travis HS: 

- Baty is a bit old for his class ( Will be 19+ on draft day) but I’ve heard on two different occasions that if he were a year younger, he’d go in the top 15. Baty is potential 70 power. Has the arm to stay at Third, but some questions on his athleticism. 

5. George Kirby RHP, Elon University :   

- Kirby seems to be the guy I see Most Mocked to the Cardinals. Kirby doesn’t have elite stuff, but he could have four above average pitches and he commands them all very well. Something about his delivery that I’m not to crazy about, but it’s not bad. He’s a pretty save pick, which is why I think a lot of mocks have the Cardinals taking him because that used to be their M.O but ever since Randy Flores has taken over, it seems like they are more willing to take a chance on the upside. 

6. Spencer Jones LHP/1B, La Costa Canyon HS:

- Another nearly impossible sign. I dont Know, seems like he grades better as a hitter, but I think His future is on the mound. Really like his delivery. FB sits somewhere between 92-96 MPH and has a plus curve. But it’ll be nearly impossible to sign him away from Vandy. 

7. Will Wilson SS/2B, NC State University: 

- Of course there’s going to be an NC state guy in there the Cardinals have had success drafting out of that program with Evan Mendoza and Andrew Knizner. Wilson might project better as a 2B and has a plus bat. Seems to fit some of the Cardinals recent early draft picks (Carlson and Gorman) in the way of his baseball IQ and being a gym rat. 

8. Daniel Espino RHP, George Premier Academy: 

- Espino has easily the best stuff of any HS pitcher in this class. Has a FB that sits in the upper 90s and has touched 100. And has a curve and Slider that are plus pitches already. Some question his command and if his small frame (6’0 195) can hold up as a starter or if his future role is as a reliever. 

9. Kameron Misner OF, L/L, University of Missouri:

- I want so Bad to like Misner more, but his struggles this season have him free falling on draft boards. A few months ago he was projected as a top 8 pick. But he’s struggled in SEC play and his K-rate is a nasty 28%. But the potential might be to good to pass up on here, his bat could be could be legit and carry 60+ power with it. Make up is outstanding, eats, breathes and sleeps baseball. 

10. Maurice Hampton OF, R/R, Memphis University HS

- According to Keith Law, we are one of the teams that are in on Hampton. A two sport star in football and baseball, many think his potential could be through the roof once he focuses on one sport. Has a plus defense and speed. And Hamptons bat has the potential to bring some big time pop. His bat speed and exit velocity are elite. 

• Like 1

Since there's really nothing good going on with the big club...lets talk some minor leagues...

Genesis Cabrera made his best start tonight for Memphis:

6.0 IP, 8 hits, 2 runs, 1 walk, 4 strikeouts 

He's had a rough season so far in AAA so this start is a small positive for him. Also, Tyler O'Neil with another homer tonight, that's 4 homers in his last 5 games. Shame he can't do that with the big league club. And what in the hell are the Cardinals doing wasting Ryan Helsley in the Pen? 

Johan Oviedo with his best start in AA tonight...

6.0 ip, 7 hits, 3 runs, 1 walk, 2 strikeouts

Nothing outstanding, but the 1 walk through 6 innings is encouraging (he had 7 walks in previous 10.2 innings). Oh and Dylan Carlson with a monster game tonight going 3/5 with a double, triple and Homer with 4 RBI. Now hitting .293 on the season with .357 OBP, 9 doubles, 4 triples and 5 Homers.  

And last but not least....Julio Rodriguez went 1/3 today with a double and a walk. .368 BA, .416 OBP, 185 wRC+ on the season. 

• Like 2

Not sure if anyone saw this but Gomber was added to the IL, which sucks because he was having a really good year down in Memphis. 

Evan Kruczynski was promoted to AAA. LHP was having a rough year in Springfield but the organization seems to think highly of him. 

• CWood21 changed the title to The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?