The STL Cardinals Thread - Welcome to STL JJ!

CWood21

16 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

Sorry, his bat is not as good as you are trying to present it to be. You're looking at breaking things down, Check out Martinez Post June, he is almost Slugging exactly what his Average is. Since June 13th he has 3 HRs, but only 2 other extra base hits. And his defense isnt just bad, its absolutely Putrid, and he would be a liability in LF, unlike Ozuna (yes, he is a damn good Fielder, ill take Jim Edmonds opinion on that over anything you try to throw out there)

Yes Ozuna is in a massive slump, something is clearly wrong and needs to be fixed, but I will always take my chances on him, seeing what he normally is, with the potential he showed last year (and in a few different streaks this year) over the new J-Rod. 

If you average his PA in July over the course of an entire season, you're talking about ~430 AB over the course of the season.  The Cardinals have essentially relegated him to that super sub role.

As for Marcel Ozuna, I mentioned it earlier in the year but he's hitting with almost no power.  He's got a career ISO of .171 and SLG% of .446, and his season ISO is .110 and his season SLG% .373.  I wish I could say there's an obvious answer to this one, but there isn't.  He's just having a bad year.

4 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I'll be honest, I view LF as a "harder" defensive position than 1B.........

Cherrypicking from your comment simply to say "I agree"

Teams often man first base with players slowed by injury or age - something only a manager with a death wish would consider for left field. 

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

This series might make or break the Cardinals this year...

Im pretty sure were already Broken...

Honestly Im at the point Im fine getting swept, anything outer than that, people (Mo especially) will trick themselves into thinking maybe we'll hang around for a Wild Card spot, delusional.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, StLunatic88 said:

Honestly Im at the point Im fine getting swept, anything outer than that, people (Mo especially) will trick themselves into thinking maybe we'll hang around for a Wild Card spot, delusional.

I get this feeling we're just going to stand pat, and let the deadline pass.  And then during the waiver trade period, we're going to acquire some middling reliever.

Just now, CWood21 said:

I get this feeling we're just going to stand pat, and let the deadline pass.  And then during the waiver trade period, we're going to acquire some middling reliever.

Which will lead to the same cycle of monotony next season, and then the next, and...

Its time to BREAK THE WHEEL

• Like 1

2 hours ago, holt_bruce81 said:

Who do you guys want managing this team next year? Do you want to give Shildt a full season or go with someone new? 

@CWood21 @kgarrett12486 @StLunatic88 @MOSteelers56

I’d like a time machine so we could hire Terry Francona like we should have done originally.

In reality, I’m not really sure. All I know is that I’d rather it not be Giradi. From what I’ve read he seems like Matheny 2.0.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, holt_bruce81 said:

Who do you guys want managing this team next year? Do you want to give Shildt a full season or go with someone new? 

Well I think Ive made it pretty clear at this point that Im here for the Rebuild. I mean its looking like a pipedream, but I would be completely fine giving it a go with Shildt, running the young team out there and seeing what we have. Give him his first time shot, a cheap 3 year deal and if he just doesnt have it you can get out of it right away.

Had we committed to this much earlier in the season we could have tried this out for the last handful of months of this season, but we are just hell bent on being stubborn and floundering around .500 all the way to the bitter end.

I saw on reddit(maybe Twitter I can’t remember) Mo made a comment that “changes are coming.” Whether that means anything significant, who knows?

I’m hoping for a Bud Norris or Jose Martinez trade. It’d be kind of cool if Norris would pull a Chapmen and come back and sign in the off-season. I wouldn’t be sad if he didn’t. I would be sad if we lost him for nothing.

3 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

Well I think Ive made it pretty clear at this point that Im here for the Rebuild. I mean its looking like a pipedream, but I would be completely fine giving it a go with Shildt, running the young team out there and seeing what we have. Give him his first time shot, a cheap 3 year deal and if he just doesnt have it you can get out of it right away.

Had we committed to this much earlier in the season we could have tried this out for the last handful of months of this season, but we are just hell bent on being stubborn and floundering around .500 all the way to the bitter end.

I agree, we either need to commit to a true rebuild or completely rework the roster via trades and FA this offseason. No more of this add a few pieces here and there to this 'core' like we've done so much over the recent.

If we're going the rebuild route, I'd like Schildt to get a legit shot to run a team through the offseason to finish of a season. Commit to him for a full year like Cubs did with Renteria. If you're dream manager becomes available, then pursue. 

1 hour ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I saw on reddit(maybe Twitter I can’t remember) Mo made a comment that “changes are coming.” Whether that means anything significant, who knows?

I’m hoping for a Bud Norris or Jose Martinez trade. It’d be kind of cool if Norris would pull a Chapmen and come back and sign in the off-season. I wouldn’t be sad if he didn’t. I would be sad if we lost him for nothing.

I heard he was referencing the BP. He said major changes in people's roles.

Mark Saxon's take was:

-Dakota Hudson will join the rotation and John Gant will move to the BP

- Greg Holland will be released in the next few days

-Tyler Lyons will be put on DL for remainder of year

Oh boy...

Jon Heyman of Fancred hears that Joe Girardi "absolutely wants the Cardinals job."

Girardi has been working as a studio analyst for MLB Network this year after getting fired from the Yankees following the 2017 American League Championship Series. Heyman writes Thursday that "Girardi’s friends say he is willing to take less [money] to manage the Cardinals" than he was getting with the Yankees -- believed to be around $4 million