The STL Cardinals Thread - Welcome to STL JJ!

CWood21

30 minutes ago, JonStark said:

I do. If the Nats aren't playing for anything and looking for younger players, why do they care about having Corbin's big contract right now? Just eat it for the next few years while you rebuild and by the time you're ready to contend, it'll be off the books. No point in lessening the package when there's no real benefit in unloading him now. 

Yep, While there is no salary floor, it makes it easy for them to not spend on the rest of the roster, and just point to that Contract as the anchor on their books for a few more years while they rebuild.

2 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

He could have just said they're considering all options. Or that they're going to take the return they feel is best no matter who is included in the deal. Simple as that.

True.  Now, if they do trade Corbin, he's gonna have to answer more questions about it.

3 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

He could have just said they're considering all options. Or that they're going to take the return they feel is best no matter who is included in the deal. Simple as that.

That still doesn't sound good, especially when the rumors had the Cardinals as willing to take on Corbin's deal and that they were the frontrunners for Juan Soto.  It's just not a good look.  It's easier to say that you're not going to dilute the trade value of Soto with Corbin, and then when you do exactly that claim that you didn't dilute the trade value of Soto by having the Cardinals take back Corbin.

3 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

That’s all that Benintendi went for?? 

Not that we needed an OF (Soto is a special circumstance), but the non-Soto market might be very soft if that’s any indicator. Benny was one of the best bats on the market (I don’t believe Reynolds is truly available)

Seems like we could scoop up an arm or two for pretty cheap, independent of our Soto dealings. Although I do believe that’s what is holding everything else up

Bodes well that the Yankees are effectively out of the Juan Soto sweepstakes.  Still think the Dodgers and Padres are probably the two franchises that are most likely to get in the Cardinals way of acquiring him.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JonStark said:

I do. If the Nats aren't playing for anything and looking for younger players, why do they care about having Corbin's big contract right now? Just eat it for the next few years while you rebuild and by the time you're ready to contend, it'll be off the books. No point in lessening the package when there's no real benefit in unloading him now. 

Because they're selling off the franchise.  Assuming they deal Patrick Corbin as part of the Juan Soto deal, the only non-arbitration contracts the Nationals have on the books for $8M+ is Stephen Strasburg (4 years, $140M remaining after this year) and Nelson Cruz (1 year, $16M remaining).  The Nationals are really, really bad right now with the worst record in baseball.  Take Juan Soto away, and they're probably the worst franchise in baseball by 10+ games at the end of the year.

1 hour ago, tttmikeb said:

True.  Now, if they do trade Corbin, he's gonna have to answer more questions about it.

And he's gonna say exactly what every GM says.  That they got the prospects and players they wanted, and they were able to create financial flexibility by unloading Corbin's contract.  The comment was meant to appease fans.

8 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

That still doesn't sound good, especially when the rumors had the Cardinals as willing to take on Corbin's deal and that they were the frontrunners for Juan Soto.  It's just not a good look.  It's easier to say that you're not going to dilute the trade value of Soto with Corbin, and then when you do exactly that claim that you didn't dilute the trade value of Soto by having the Cardinals take back Corbin.

Disagree 100%. The smart thing to do (if they indeed did plan to put Corbin in a deal) is to be as generic speak as possible on the subject when asked about it; essentially avoiding the answer. This is what 9/10 GM's typically do. 

That way you don't back yourself into a corner either way. By him coming out and saying it, he's going to take flak if they do include Corbin now.  

5 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Because they're selling off the franchise.  Assuming they deal Patrick Corbin as part of the Juan Soto deal, the only non-arbitration contracts the Nationals have on the books for $8M+ is Stephen Strasburg (4 years, $140M remaining after this year) and Nelson Cruz (1 year, $16M remaining).  The Nationals are really, really bad right now with the worst record in baseball.  Take Juan Soto away, and they're probably the worst franchise in baseball by 10+ games at the end of the year.

Either way they are going to be one of the bottom teams for the next few years, so why does it matter if they have to pay Corbin's contract over that period or not? If attaching him to the trade would significantly decrease their return, they might as well just eat it and get the best package possible. 

12 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Bodes well that the Yankees are effectively out of the Juan Soto sweepstakes.  Still think the Dodgers and Padres are probably the two franchises that are most likely to get in the Cardinals way of acquiring him.

I think Dodgers are just reporters connecting the dots. I don't see it after what they did last year with WAS.

I think Padres are gonna push for him. They love these type of moves and feel the pressure from LAD. I also think TB is gonna be involved. They could afford him for remainder of this season and 1st arb eligible year to push for a WS. If they don't get there they could flip him again by end of next off-season to recoup prospects. 

7 minutes ago, JonStark said:

Either way they are going to be one of the bottom teams for the next few years, so why does it matter if they have to pay Corbin's contract over that period or not? If attaching him to the trade would significantly decrease their return, they might as well just eat it and get the best package possible. 

I'm not disagreeing in the slightest.  But if you're a potential buyer, do you want to flush $28.8M over the next 2 years to get league-average production?  Not really.

24 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I'm not disagreeing in the slightest.  But if you're a potential buyer, do you want to flush $28.8M over the next 2 years to get league-average production?  Not really.

If youre only paying $30-50m for the rest of the roster does it really matter while youre tanking for the Top prospects for a few years?

There is more than one way to go about it, Corbin is at absolute Rock Bottom of value, so its never going to get worse. Maybe he bounces back a bit next season, and they get someone to take the one extra year, instead of two, for some middling prospects. Instead of losing prospects in the Soto deal because of him.

He is a legitimate anchor on a Soto deal, so you can understand why they would steer clear of that.

18 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

If youre only paying $30-50m for the rest of the roster does it really matter while youre tanking for the Top prospects for a few years?

There is more than one way to go about it, Corbin is at absolute Rock Bottom of value, so its never going to get worse. Maybe he bounces back a bit next season, and they get someone to take the one extra year, instead of two, for some middling prospects. Instead of losing prospects in the Soto deal because of him.

He is a legitimate anchor on a Soto deal, so you can understand why they would steer clear of that.

Again, nothing I disagree with.  But I also don't think he's going to drastically dilute the deal like some think he would.  It's not going to suddenly take Jordan Walker or Dylan Carlson out of the deal.  The Nationals would probably either kick in some money (say $20M over 2 years) or the Cardinals sending back bad money of their own (i.e. Paul DeJong).  The inclusion of Corbin probably just prevents certain combination of player(s) being included in the deal.  Like I wouldn't include Jordan Walker in a deal with Patrick Corbin coming back.  You're still getting a great haul in return, but it limits the flexibility of making a deal.

Pivoting from the Soto discussion for a minute, Paul Dejong has been tearing the cover off the ball in AAA. He's hitting .350 with a .750 slugging % in the month of July. 

I fully expect him to be coming up next week. Derrick Goold reported the other day that Sosa is out of options and we're talking to at least 1 AL team who's interested in him via trade. 

I think he's gonna get another shot up here. If Sosa doesn't get dealt and open up a spot, I still think he comes up. Gorman's struggles (unless he turns it around the next handful of games or is dealt) might be going back down to AAA. Edman has been struggling too. 

They might be giving DeJong 1 more shot to show some value and potentially be able to deal him in offseason.