The STL Cardinals Thread - Welcome to STL JJ!

CWood21

We need to address the elephant in the room here...Jordan Hicks.

This dude is having a renicassance here over the last 1.5 months. His strikeout rate (not a typo) is among the league leaders. he's become a weapon. Love that we're showcasing him as the closer now.

Just build that value for the deadline!

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Usually is, but he just can't stay healthy this season for any substantial stretch. 

His injuries don’t seem to be connected soft tissue things. Wasn’t his first stint due to being hit in the hand? Second was from an OF collision. He’s not like TON. 

32 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

We need to address the elephant in the room here...Jordan Hicks.

This dude is having a renicassance here over the last 1.5 months. His strikeout rate (not a typo) is among the league leaders. he's become a weapon. Love that we're showcasing him as the closer now.

Just build that value for the deadline!

I hope we keep him. I’m more in the camp of trying to buy a little at the deadline. We need to sell off our position players to get better pitching. I don’t want to lose the pitching we already have.

45 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

His injuries don’t seem to be connected soft tissue things. Wasn’t his first stint due to being hit in the hand? Second was from an OF collision. He’s not like TON. 

Correct, it's been a lot of bad luck, but they're still mounting, which is unfortunate because he is a table setter for them. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I hope we keep him. I’m more in the camp of trying to buy a little at the deadline. We need to sell off our position players to get better pitching. I don’t want to lose the pitching we already have.

He's a UFA this off-season and I don't think he wants to be back given how we've handled him. I'd rather sell him off now on a high note for better assets.

On 6/16/2023 at 12:41 PM, JonStark said:

It’s a completely disingenuous list. It doesn’t count any of the kk we spent on guys traded for or extensions for guys who we brought through the system. 

There is a reason why most teams in ALL sports don’t build through Free Agency, because it’s hard to know what kind of guys you’re truly getting. 

Sure, Mo has failed overall at your basic free agent signing. But we’ve all known that forever, and that’s why he rarely did it.

But when it comes to making trades, he’s been amazing. When it comes to drafting he (and the organization) have been pretty great. And while some will point to a few wrong choices (and erroneously at a couple of very late bloomers that other teams gave up on as well) he has done a good job at internal talent evaluation. It’s why everyone hates how much we we always have a rando come up in august and be a factor in the playoff race.

He has also done a great job of KEEPING talent on the team. Who has walked away from this team and you went “wow we really miss him”? Not Heyward, not Ozuna. It’s maybe limited to Lance Lynn? And he had some differences with the Cardinals that probably no contract was going to fix.

I still think it’s just time for Mo to go. Not one single thing that makes that my stance, but you just can’t have the same people in charge forever, or the game/industry is just going to pass them by. But this revisionist history about his time here is getting out of had as well. 

• Like 1

I was legitimately concerned that this little run (5 out of 7) was going to give the front office enough rope to pretend we have a chance, since the Central has not run away from us. Especially when I start hearing the Rightsholder Media around here saying things like "If they win tonight they havent lost a series in their last 4". Things like those are such garbage

If Waino gets shelled again tonight (what does he have left to deactivate?) and then we go up against the Yankees and Marlins before the ASB, IF we are anywhere more than 8 games out of 1st we better be selling off anything that isnt nailed down. This middling strategy has only barely worked, and is finally biting us in the butt.

Every single Free Agent to be should be sold off IMMEDIATELY;

• Jack Flaherty - as long as his arm doesnt fall off in his next two starts, ship him anywhere that will take him
  • Jordan Montgomery - He has been Amazing in June, Id like to extend him, but we havent yet, so I have no trust that we will, at the least get some good prospects for him and not just some sandwich pick
  • Jordan Hicks - Sure he has been doing well closing recently, but we have all lived the ups and downs of Hicks career (not to mention he still thinks he is a Starter) so we better not be looking to pay him
  • Chris Stratton - Guy was very useful in clutch situations last year, Still not sure Oli has any clue how to use a bullpen, so hoping someone sees value in him
  • Drew VerHagen -I mean, Id take literally anything for him
  • Paul DeJong - Pauly D has been one of my favorites these last handful of years, even when people dump all over him. He has hit for power as well as most SS out there right now. You have to be able to get something for him, but hes not our future, and no one should willingly pay him an extra $10m for '24

Montgomery should be the only on on that list you even hesitate to trade. And we should be the first to market to get as much value as we possibly can. We arent holding a golden ticket that will get more valuable as we approach the deadline. 

No one is giving you more than 10 cents on the Dollar for Gallegos, so dont trade him yet. I still believe TON is a good player, but is likely done in StL, but that seems more like an Offseason move right now. You cant sell this low on Carlson either. But Id get as much value in return for Edman as I can before everyone figures out he isnt an Every Day MIF. 

We dont have to go into some massive rebuild, hang on to Goldy and Arenado, and flip this thing in one offseason. 

I agree @StLunatic88 we need to trade some of these guys for future assets. And let’s not wait till the deadline. Hicks’ value right now has probably never been higher. Don’t be foolish continuing to hope for a good few weeks just so you can go get some run of the mill reliever at the deadline. 

Mo needs to view what Army did and pretty much copy it. Get a jump start on trades and build for the future. Would love to get a comp pick this year for Hicks’ but doubt Mo and the front office is willing to accept this season as a failure within a weeks time.