The STL Cardinals Thread - Welcome to STL JJ!

CWood21

24 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I'm not that tied to Dylan Carlson.  Honestly, he's been a bit of a disappointment.  I was hoping he'd at least become that rock solid #2 in the batting order and play a solid CF, but he's more of a bottom-of-the-order hitter.  Honestly, I'm kinda lukewarm on the Yankees' pitching prospects.  Vasquez has a high-effort delivery, and seems better suited to end up in the bullpen from what I've seen.  Beeter's injury history is a bit too much for me, I'd rather find an arm with less injury risk associated but the stuff is good.  Warren is probably the best of the bunch, but I'm not a huge fan of his.  I wouldn't hate it, but I'd want more beyond Warren if I'm dealing Carlson to them.

I think Carlson absolutely could be a very solid #2 guy with elite defense in CF, but we don't give him a chance to progress. When he's constantly in and out of the lineup (at one point we were even starting infielders over him), he can't get a rhythm. I have no doubts that if he's dealt, we'll look back on it as a mistake but if this is how we're going to use him, it's better to just let him go. 

Agreed on the prospects. I would like to get Beeter though even with the injury history. 

34 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Apparently the Rangers organization is enthralled with him, even with the stumbles thus far. I wonder if Owen white would be a target. He fits our mold. 

No wonder why.  He's going to be a good one, and he'll inevitably figure out the control issues he's had thus far.  Brock Porter would probably be my #2 on my want list, but he's probably too far away for the Cardinals to want him as the centerpiece IMO.  Owen White just seems to "bleh" for my liking.

Andrew Painter probably isn't available for Montgomery.  Mick Abel probably isn't available either unless the Cardinals add to that package.  That's by far their 2 best pitching prospects, and both should be ready within a year or two.

You all poo-pooed it when i said we needed to be first to market with the assets we have

How are you all feeling now that the dealing has started (the exact assets we’re trying to move; Starters, Relievers, Infielders) and Mo seems to be standing around with his pud in his hand?

Not to mention completely fumbling the Arenado situation on top of it all. Because either he is being crappy for hanging Nolan out there to dry and answer all the media scrutiny himself, OR he is actually trading him. And I’m not sure which one would be worse right now. 

4 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

You all poo-pooed it when i said we needed to be first to market with the assets we have

How are you all feeling now that the dealing has started (the exact assets we’re trying to move; Starters, Relievers, Infielders) and Mo seems to be standing around with his pud in his hand?

Not to mention completely fumbling the Arenado situation on top of it all. Because either he is being crappy for hanging Nolan out there to dry and answer all the media scrutiny himself, OR he is actually trading him. And I’m not sure which one would be worse right now. 

Relax.  Which package could you not live without, the Lucas Giolito trade or the Lance Lynn trade?  The Lucas Giolito was the best package given up so far, but it wasn't that great.  Edgar Quero was the best singular piece in that deal, and honestly he's probably a more advanced version of Leando Barnal at this point.  Ky Bush is just blah at this point.  For a guy with his physical frame, his stuff is remarkably average.  There will always be more buyers than sellers, which the deadline is always considered a seller's market.

As for Arenado, yeah the Cardinals could come out and publicly say they're not trading Arenado.  But they're probably doing their due diligence and listening to offers on everyone.  Trading Arenado is doing the exact opposite of what they're saying they're trying to do, which is reload for 2024.  I'd be VERY surprised if Arenado is dealt.

4 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

Should I still relax?

He doesn’t know what he’s doing folks. He’s never been a seller and can’t gauge the market. 

Yes.  The Arenado comments' prove that.  The Cardinals were never going to realistically move on from Arenado.  They got a sweetheart deal from Colorado, and they were gifted their newest franchise player.  They weren't trading him for a franchise player.  Sorry the Cardinals aren't trading the best available players for a bag of stale potato chips.

15 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

No one “poo-pooed” anything. I think multiple people on here were saying Mo needs to take a page from the Blues front office and be the first to the market. Quit acting like you were the only one with that idea and everyone else was wrong 🙄 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, holt_bruce81 said:

No one “poo-pooed” anything. I think multiple people on here were saying Mo needs to take a page from the Blues front office and be the first to the market. Quit acting like you were the only one with that idea and everyone else was wrong 🙄 

You’re right, there wasn’t a single decenting voice around here as I continued pointing out how we should have already moved all these guys weeks ago.

No one said that’s not how baseball works. Or Mo admitted they have to look to 24. Or that no one else has made moves yet, or to relax and I’m overreacting, or there will always be value for sellers…

Speaking of;

8 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Yes.  The Arenado comments' prove that.  The Cardinals were never going to realistically move on from Arenado.  They got a sweetheart deal from Colorado, and they were gifted their newest franchise player.  They weren't trading him for a franchise player.  Sorry the Cardinals aren't trading the best available players for a bag of stale potato chips.

I’m not sure what you are even talking about anymore. My comments were about Mo not being in touch with the sellers market (the tweet you quoted). That he’s been dragging his feet this whole time because he doesn’t want to actually sell and admit he’s failed. Not about Nolan Arenado and some fantasy land click bait article.