The STL Cardinals Thread - Welcome to STL JJ!

CWood21

50 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

EDIT:

b

I knew we likely weren't getting anyone inside their top 8. I'm not gonna complain because got something for an expiring deal, but thought we would have targeted higher upside. Think I might have just taken the comp pick, or Flaherty back on a 1 year/$20 million deal.

42 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I think they added in another piece to the Jack deal. Prieto, Rom, and Zach Showalter. He’s more of a young, upside guy. 

That seems to make a bit more sense.  Like the upside play on this one.  Was a bonus baby who fell in the 2022 draft because of signability concerns.  Looks like some real stuff as his strikeout rate is just north of 11 K/9.  Needs to work on his control, which is the case with most young pitchers.

13 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

That seems to make a bit more sense.  Like the upside play on this one.  Was a bonus baby who fell in the 2022 draft because of signability concerns.  Looks like some real stuff as his strikeout rate is just north of 11 K/9.  Needs to work on his control, which is the case with most young pitchers.

He's got a 65-70 grade FB from most sites. Might have the best one in our whole system. That was the upside prospect I was anticipating.

Thanks for bringing attention to that @MOSteelers56, the original reports completely missed him lol.

• Like 1

It's time to start seeing and making decisions on what some of these younger internal peices are heading into next season. I really believe we're going to have to fill at least the #5 spot in the rotation next year with one of (if not more) our young internal players we've drafted/developed.

For me, that means I'm getting as many of these types a handful of starts over the next (2) months. This would be Liberatore, Graceffo, McGreevy, Thomas. I'd even throw in Zach Thompson to make sure I'm not writing him off too soon as a starter. 

1 hour ago, kgarrett12486 said:

It's time to start seeing and making decisions on what some of these younger internal peices are heading into next season. I really believe we're going to have to fill at least the #5 spot in the rotation next year with one of (if not more) our young internal players we've drafted/developed.

For me, that means I'm getting as many of these types a handful of starts over the next (2) months. This would be Liberatore, Graceffo, McGreevy, Thomas. I'd even throw in Zach Thompson to make sure I'm not writing him off too soon as a starter. 

I want Luken Baker up here as the full time DH. I mean why not at this point? He’s crushing it in Memphis.  

Listened to an interview today with Fangraphs lead prospect writer. He is extremely high on Tekoah Roby.

-Thought he was the most talented peice of any pitching prospect moved at the entire deadline.

-Has him ranked as a top 100 prospect in all of baseball already and said that if he comes back healthy and continues to throw like he did over the end of the minor league season, he'll likely have him as a top 50 guy heading into 2024. 

-Typical mold of what you see in the Houston Astros prospects. Electric FB with movement and everything else plays off that. The curve is already a MLB ready put away pitch. The change-up has already shown flashes of being a put away pitch as well. Throws a ton of stikes. 

-Comp'd him to Hunter Brown.

Another note, he was asked to give a deep dive of a guy outside the Cards top 30 that he really likes. He cited our highest 2023 international signing - RHP Reiner Lopez. I looked up his scouting report:

https://www.mlb.com/prospects/international/reiner-lopez-806996

He's 6'8 already at 17 years old.

Edited by kgarrett12486

On 8/2/2023 at 12:18 PM, MOSteelers56 said:

He’s been pitching well there too. I think he’s on the big squad next year. Maybe not out of camp, but sometime.

Definitely not out of camp.  Maybe late in the year.  The lack of innings thrown is his biggest issue right now.

On 8/2/2023 at 12:39 PM, kgarrett12486 said:

I wouldn't imagine seeing anyone other than Liberatore on the big league roster this year.  None of them are Rule 5 eligible until the '24 offseason (Graceffo and McGreevy).  Matt Liberatore is pretty much going to be shoe-in for one of the rotation spots alongside Miles Mikolas, Adam Wainwright, Steven Matz, and probably Dakota Hudson.