The STL Cardinals Thread - Welcome to STL JJ!

CWood21

I was at the game on Friday...  I am 100% against Wainwright.  He can't throw faster than I drive, gives up too many runs, and there is no future with him.  I have seen 4 or 5 of his losses this season in person.  Kind of ruins the game experience knowing that you are going to lose because of a non-MLB level pitcher getting the start.  

In a couple of years, he can get into the Cardinals Hall of Fame, and we can all clap for him.  But he should have retired last year.  He is trying to Bruce Smith his 200th win, and I don't think he gets there.  Even then, his ERA must be increasing by the start, and his win percentage is also plummeting. 

Cardinals SS prospect Masyn Winn was removed from Sunday’s game for Triple-A Memphis with a mild glute strain.

Winn suffered the injury when he stepped awkwardly onto a base during Sunday’s Triple-A contest. The 21-year-old top prospect has been sizzling hot at the dish of late, and the timing couldn’t be worse here, as all expectations were that he would get the call to the majors at some point in the final two months of the season. He has a chance to make it to St. Louis, if he can get back on the field quickly. He’s batted .284/.355/.467 with 17 homers and 17 stolen bases across 100 games this season for Triple-A Memphis.

13 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Zack Thompson looked good yesterday. Dotting his fastball to go along with that nasty curve. He could make some noise for a rotation spot. 

Was very impressed. I hope they continue to trot him out there as a starter the remainder of the season and let him build up.

I saw a lot of people on other platforms griping about giving him starts and citing his AAA numbers (which were horrendous). What they don't realize is the Cards sent him down to AAA not only to stretch out, but they specifically told him he needed to develop his slider to use in order to be a starter. That's what he did in AAA and that's a big part in why his numbers were so awful, as he worked out the feel for that pitch. 

He displayed the slider in his start against the Rockies and it looks like he now has that pitch in his repitoire. He needed that 3rd pitch in order to be more than a 1x through the line-up pitcher. 

I've said this before, but I think our #5 spot in the rotation will be one of Thompson, Hudson, Liberatore, Graceffo or McGreevy next year. All should be given the chance to compete for it in ST.  

24 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

I've said this before, but I think our #5 spot in the rotation will be one of Thompson, Hudson, Liberatore, Graceffo or McGreevy next year. All should be given the chance to compete for it in ST.  

Sadly it’s probably going to be 2 of them for the #4 & #5 spot

43 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

Sadly it’s probably going to be 2 of them for the #4 & #5 spot

It's definitely possible, but I'm hoping they've learned their lesson that they need to have 6-8 starters ready to roll out if needed. IMO, I think they have and we're adding at least (2) SP's this offseason.  

Now that the MLB draft and deadline has come/gone, how would you guys rank our updated prospect list? Let's exclude anyone who's appeared in more than 25 MLB games. Here are my top 30:

1. SS Masyn Winn

2. RHP Tink Hence

3. RHP Tekoah Roby

4. RHP Gordon Graceffo

5. C Ivan Herrera

6. OF Chase Davis

7. LHP Cooper Hjerpe

8. RHP Sem Robberse

9. INF Thomas Saggese

10. RHP Michael McGreevy

11. C Leonardo Bernal

12. 1B Luken Baker

13.. SS Jonathan Mejia

14. OF Victor Scott III

15. RHP Reiner Lopez

16. RHP Adam Kloffenstein

17. RHP Ian Beddell

18. INF Cesar Prieto

19. LHP Brycen Mautz

20. RHP Zach Showalter 

21. OF Won Bin-Cho

22. C Jimmy Crooks

23. RHP Ryan Loutes

24. RHP Inohan Paniagua

25. OF Josh Baez

26. OF Travis Honeyman

27. RHP Max Rajcic

28. C Sammy Hernandez

29. RHP Edwin Nunez 

30. LHP Quinn Matthews/ Drew Rom

Edited by kgarrett12486

On 8/8/2023 at 9:54 AM, kgarrett12486 said:

Now that the MLB draft and deadline has come/gone, how would you guys rank our updated prospect list? Let's exclude anyone who's appeared in more than 25 MLB games. Here are my top 30:

I'm gonna exclude Ivan Herrera since he'll almost inevitably hit that 25 game treshold.  Plus, I'll break them into tiers.

(Tier 1)
1.) SS Masyn Winn
2.) RHP Tink Hence

(Tier 2)
3.) RHP Gordon Graceffo
4.) RHP Tekoah Roby
5.) OF Chase Davis
6.) LHP Cooper Hjerpe

(Tier 3)
7.) C Leandro Barnal
8.) RHP Michael McGreevy
9.) 2B Thomas Sagersee
10.) LHP Brycen Mautz

8 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Hopefully tonight jumpstarts something in Libby’s head.

They might have just found something with his mechanics. His FB previously had always started high octane and then faded, but last night he was keeping that velocity (96+) into the 8th. More importantly he was able to locate the FB, which he has to do to have success, as his FB has like zero movement on it. 

https://www.mlb.com/news/matthew-liberatore-throws-eight-scoreless-innings-vs-rays

Edited by kgarrett12486
  • Like 1

On 8/8/2023 at 1:59 PM, holt_bruce81 said:

I think my top 10 looks something like…

1. Masyn Winn
2. Tink Hence
3. Ivan Herrera 
4. Chase Davis
5. Cooper Hjerpe
6. Tekoah Roby
7. Michael Mcgreevy
8. Victor Scott
9. Gordon Graceffo
10. Won Bin-Cho
11. Thomas Saggesse
12. Luken Baker 

Why so low on Roby and Graceffo? Just curious.