The STL Cardinals Thread - Welcome to STL JJ!

CWood21

5 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

I havent watched more than an inning at a time other than Winn's debut, and its been absolutely freeing 

LOL, I bet. That's how I got with the Blues last season. 

You haven't missed much. The gmae is usually out oif hand by the 4th inning recently for the Cards. 

1 hour ago, kgarrett12486 said:

LOL, I bet. That's how I got with the Blues last season. 

You haven't missed much. The gmae is usually out oif hand by the 4th inning recently for the Cards. 

I usually see the tweet that Arenado/Goldschmidt has been pulled and I just laugh

Tekoah Roby’s final line of his Cardinals debut:

3.0 IP / 1 H / 1 R / 1 ER / 1 BB / 6 SO pic.twitter.com/6tELexbLP9

— Springfield Cardinals (@Sgf_Cardinals) August 27, 2023

Not sure if anyone caught the highlights, but he looked impressive. Was hitting 97 consistently with the FB and that curve is already nasty. His slider looks like it could be a high end out pitch as well with some refinement. 

Very impressed. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Not sure if anyone caught the highlights, but he looked impressive. Was hitting 97 consistently with the FB and that curve is already nasty. His slider looks like it could be a high end out pitch as well with some refinement. 

Very impressed. 

He's the jewel of our deadline crown. If he hits, we're winners of the deadline. Obviously I'd like to see more guys hit, but realistically they all won't. 

1 hour ago, MOSteelers56 said:

He's the jewel of our deadline crown. If he hits, we're winners of the deadline. Obviously I'd like to see more guys hit, but realistically they all won't. 

We made out quite well at deadline if you look at the performaces of guys we dealt:

Flaherty has been awful in all of his starts but (1) for the Orioles. He's definitely not going to be in their playoff rotation the way he's been pitching since he was dealt. 

DeJong was DFA'd by Toronto after like two weeks.

Monty and Stratton have been very good for Texas, but King has actually been every bit as good as Stratton and we have a chance to bring back Monty in FA along with getting the assets lol. 

On 8/29/2023 at 9:57 AM, kgarrett12486 said:

Very impressed. 

He wouldn't have been available had he been healthy.  He's easily our best SP prospect outside of Tink Hence, and that's not a slight on Graceffo, McGreevy, or Hjerpe.

• Like 1

Why is Thomas Saggese still in Double A right now? He has pciked right up where he left off with Texas and has been even better in Springfield:

26 Games - .347/.424/.713 with a 1.137 OPS, 4 doubles, 9 HR's and a 14 BB/27 K's ratio. He has a .388 BABIP.

His numbers are better than Jordan Walker's in the minors. Dude deserves every chance to finish the year at AAA. 

11 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Why is Thomas Saggese still in Double A right now? He has pciked right up where he left off with Texas and has been even better in Springfield:

I've been asking myself the same question.  Don't get me wrong, the number he's putting up aren't sustainable by any means, but it's very clear that he's too good for that level.  I have to assume it's only because we're this late in the season.

Gonna be interesting to see how we approach the FA market with the starters. Most of the ones I thinkw e'll be targeting are going to have QO's attached. With us potentially having a top 5 pick, we'll have probably the highest competitive balance pick we've ever had. Essentially in the range for a potnetial high end guy who slipped due to signability or other question marks.  We've typically always valued these competitive balance picks very highly and have gotten some of our best homegrown guys from that round in past.

Be curious to see if that sways how they approach FA and if we're more inclined to go the trade route again for pitching. 

On 9/11/2023 at 1:18 PM, StLunatic88 said:

So we avoided the dreaded 100 Loss mark, can we please stop being stupid and start losing the rest of these games.

If we go on another streak and somehow waste the worst season since the Millennium, Im gonna be pissed 

I'm never going to actively root for the Cardinals to lose, but they certainly don't gain anything by winning anymore games.  Right now, the Cardinals have the #5 pick with 17 games remaining.  They're 8 GB of the White Sox for #4, so they're effectively locked out of that 4th slot and higher.  But the Cardinals are 2.5 games ahead of Detroit for that 6th slot.  The only thing that separates the Cardinals and the Guardians (who are currently slotted 12th) is 4.5 games.  The good news is the other teams seem to be doing the same thing, which is play .500 ball for the last few weeks.  Looking at the draft slots, it seems tentatively in these tiers.

(Tier 1)
Kansas City
Oakland

(Tier 2)
Colorado
Chicago (AL)

(Tier 3)
St. Louis
Detroit
Pittsburgh
Los Angeles (AL)
Washington**
San Diego
Cleveland

(Tier 4)
Boston
New York (AL)
Miami
San Francsico
Cincinnati

(Tier 5)
Toronto/Seattle

• Like 1

Man, I didn't realize how historically bad of a season Wainwright was having. he is having the worst statistical seaon for a Cardinals SP since the early 1900's. Even worse than Gibson's final season which saw him move to the BP and then retire mid-season.

Only saving grace is that he is now at 199 and still has a shot to get 200. Would be pretty cool to see him get it at Busch on the final game of th season.