The STL Cardinals Thread - Welcome to STL JJ!

CWood21

42 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Ask and yu shall receive lol.

We're 8-2 since Oli got ejected on purpose

Seems to be his new schtick

feels more like things work better without him in the dugout rather than it inspires the team

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

Seems to be his new schtick

feels more like things work better without him in the dugout rather than it inspires the team

Not to mention, DD got ejected first. Oli's always been the guy to take the credit but none of the blame though. 

• Like 1

I will die on this hill, but the modern MLB manager realistically has pretty little impact on the overall W/L. Even the really good ones really only directly influence 2-4 games in favor of a W/L either way over the course of a season if you look at the metrics.

It all falls back on the players who are expected to perofm to career norms doing so, or others stepping up and exceeding expectations.

The reason the Cardinals have turned things around over last 2+ weeks is simply this stat:

Before 5/12 Cardinals offense - 132 runs (29th in MLB), .338 is SLG (29th) and .633 OPS (28th)

After 5/12 Cardinals offense - 57 runs (4th in MLB), .445 SLG (5th) and .804 OPS (4th)

2 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

I will die on this hill, but the modern MLB manager realistically has pretty little impact on the overall W/L. Even the really good ones really only directly influence 2-4 games in favor of a W/L either way over the course of a season if you look at the metrics.

I agree the direct impact is low, but I think its more than a handful of games. It mostly has to do with how they manage the bullpen, and alittle less on how they manage the lineup when it comes to direct impact. And sure thats not usually enough to tell you how "good" they are

Its more about how they manage the clubhouse, which is where Oli has completely failed

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

It all falls back on the players who are expected to perofm to career norms doing so, or others stepping up and exceeding expectations.

The reason the Cardinals have turned things around over last 2+ weeks is simply this stat:

Before 5/12 Cardinals offense - 132 runs (29th in MLB), .338 is SLG (29th) and .633 OPS (28th)

After 5/12 Cardinals offense - 57 runs (4th in MLB), .445 SLG (5th) and .804 OPS (4th)

And I'd agree with you about 99.9% of the time.  But short of a massive rebuild, it's easier to get rid of the manager than 50%+ of the roster.  If you want change this year, it's going to have to be in the form of a manager change.  Since the beginning of the 2023 season, the Cardinals are a combined 94-117.  That .445 winning percentage would be the worst the Cardinals have had since the 1995 season.

17 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

Its more about how they manage the clubhouse, which is where Oli has completely failed

That's a fair criticism, as he's been 'part' of the issue. However, I think it's naive and unfair to solely put that blame on him alone. It's a collective effort of the FO's public PR gaffes in handling certain situations and the players they put into and counted on in leadership roles failing miserably. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, CWood21 said:

And I'd agree with you about 99.9% of the time.  But short of a massive rebuild, it's easier to get rid of the manager than 50%+ of the roster.  If you want change this year, it's going to have to be in the form of a manager change.  Since the beginning of the 2023 season, the Cardinals are a combined 94-117.  That .445 winning percentage would be the worst the Cardinals have had since the 1995 season.

We're on the same page. I don't doubt at all Oli will get the can if this recent turnaround trend doesn't continue. And he should, that's part of what comes with the job and he hasn't been part of the solution. 

My point is that do fans really think a managerial and/or maybe a couple other coaches firing is going the reshape this franchise's direction suddenly? That is the sentiment I gather from some and I couldn't disagree more.

This team has major roster questions/construction issues, the organization hasn't been able to draft/develop SP with any level of consistency over last 5-7 years and the position players they have developed haven't been able to graduate into core peices vs. complementary peices at this point.

Firing a manager isn't going to change those.  

This 2024 team has been on the exact same trajectory/course that the 2023 team was on at this point last season. They were terrible in month of April and then had a great 2-3 week stretch in May to bring them back into conversation. Then in 2023, they proceeded to go 6-21 over the month of June and that was the breaking point of the season. 

IMO, these next few weeks are going to be the catalyst again to our season. 

17 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

That's a fair criticism, as he's been 'part' of the issue. However, I think it's naive and unfair to solely put that blame on him alone. It's a collective effort of the FO's public PR gaffes in handling certain situations and the players they put into and counted on in leadership roles failing miserably. 

I have been as big of a Mo defender as there is around here, but there is no doubt that there has been a narcissistic/vain/conceited (?, not exactly sure what term to use) rot that has taken hold in the organization which has led to the rampant symptom of "yes men" throughout the organization that Oli so publicly represents to fans.

Now, to me, Oli is the worst of them all as he is not only a Yes Man to Mo, but he is also a snake (i.e. how he ended up getting this job) as well as a bad clubhouse manager that doesnt have the respect of the players. Plus he has shown over the past few years (less this year so far) that he is also a bad in game manager and cost us those handful or two (or however many it rally is a manager can impact these days) of gams along the way.

I think we have all talked about it around here, Mo has done some amazing things for the Organization, but there is a reason that most GMs arent kept in those positions for over a decade, much less approaching two decades. The game shifts, you get stuck in your ways, etc. 

Unfortunately all of these Managerial issues go all the way back to choosing Matheny over Terry Francona. Which should have been the first major red flag, but he was a former Cardinal and local guy who masked the major issues that were showing themselves (mostly Mo's control issues)

• Like 1

I hope this recent hot streak boosts the value of some of our guys. I wouldn't mind to sell a little at the deadline. Maybe Donovan? We still have a glut of OF guys. 

I didn't want to make another post for this, but how nice is it to have Herrera? I know Willson was tearing the cover off the ball(and his defense looked good too), but it's nice to see what we've got in the young guy. Hopefully Contreras will be able to get recovered for next year. Talk about a good problem to have. 

We have the second lowest runs scored in the NL (3rd worst overall), with the 3rd worst run differential in the NL (6th worst overall) and we are just a game under .500?

Screw it, Im back in (despite Oli) were winning this division by 10 games

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StLunatic88 said:

We have the second lowest runs scored in the NL (3rd worst overall), with the 3rd worst run differential in the NL (6th worst overall) and we are just a game under .500?

We were bottom (5) in MLB in almost every offensive category in the month of April. We were top (5) in MLB in almost every offensive category in the month of May. It'll be interesting to see where we end up in June. 

The supplemental pieces in this line-up have now started to hit and at the same time, which has really boosted the offense. We've also seen Goldy turn around some in the last few weeks, although he's still got to cut down that K rate (highest of his career). Alec Burleson has been a god send. 

I like the trajectory this team is on right now, as most of SP has continued to be a positive comparative to what we expected. The big (3) in the BP though are showing signs of fatigue already. I think we were counting on guy like Middleton and Gio to help alleviate that, but injury and ineffectiveness haven't helped. Fernandez has filled a nice role though. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StLunatic88 said:

I am too, but I'll die on the hill that Oli is and will always be a negative for the team. No matter how good we play, we would always be better with a competent guy leading the charge and he'll never be that. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Congrats to Masyn Winn on the 18 game hit streak. He breaks the Cardinals record for longest streak by Cards rookie supplanting Pujols and Walker, who each had 17 game streaks. 

Didn’t Joe Mcewing hit in like 27 straight in 2000? 

• Like 1