The STL Cardinals Thread - Welcome to STL JJ!

CWood21

Looks like we might end up not seeing him pitch for the Cardinals. That sucks, I was hoping he could jump back into the mix here soon and alleviate some of the stress on the late inning guys.

Cardinals right-hander Keynan Middleton is headed for an MRI on his right elbow and forearm this Friday, manager Oli Marmol tells the Cardinals beat (X link via John Denton of MLB.com). There’s now concern that he could require a repair or replacement of the ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow, Denton adds. He began the year on the injured list with a forearm strain suffered in spring training. The right-hander had recently progressed to a minor league rehab assignment, tossing four innings between May 14 and May 23. However, Middleton walked three of the six batters he faced and tossed a wild pitch in his final rehab appearance on May 23. He’s now headed for imaging after reporting renewed discomfort.

32 minutes ago, JonStark said:

Still can't believe this bozo sits Winn after a day off only to bring him in in the 7th and break his streak. 

I mean, I get the idea of bringing Winn in to hit, but if he's healthy enough to hit then he should have been in the lineup to start.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I mean, I get the idea of bringing Winn in to hit, but if he's healthy enough to hit then he should have been in the lineup to start.

It was never a question of health,  they were giving him a full 48 hours of rest. They've had this plan with him all season to manage the workload.

And TBF, it's not like it cost us. Brandon Crawford had (2) hits and provided half the offense on that day. 

Burleson and Gorman became the 1st Cardinals duo in their franchise history to hit a HR each in (3) consecutive games last night. Pretty cool feat. Who would've thought coming into the season that the (3) hitter carrying this offense would've been Burleson, Winn and Gorman. 

Speaking of Gorman, he's in the conversation for the best hitter in MLB since May 9th. He's basically been hitting at an MVP level. Take a look at where he ranks in the NL among all hitters during this period:

.339 AVG (3rd), .431 OBP (2nd), .823 SLG% (1st), 1.254 OPS (1st), 9 HRs (1st), 19 R (1st), 18 RBIs (2nd), 1.31 WPA (1st)

For context, he had a WRC+ of 67 on May 9th. League average is 100. He's now at 136. What a turnaround. 

22 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Burleson and Gorman became the 1st Cardinals duo in their franchise history to hit a HR each in (3) consecutive games last night. Pretty cool feat. Who would've thought coming into the season that the (3) hitter carrying this offense would've been Burleson, Winn and Gorman. 

Speaking of Gorman, he's in the conversation for the best hitter in MLB since May 9th. He's basically been hitting at an MVP level. Take a look at where he ranks in the NL among all hitters during this period:

.339 AVG (3rd), .431 OBP (2nd), .823 SLG% (1st), 1.254 OPS (1st), 9 HRs (1st), 19 R (1st), 18 RBIs (2nd), 1.31 WPA (1st)

For context, he had a WRC+ of 67 on May 9th. League average is 100. He's now at 136. What a turnaround. 

He's such a streaky hitter, which probably won't change. I just hope in the future his lows don't go quite as low. 

Well, dad and I are going to the game this afternoon.  Let's see if we can spark them again.  Neither game is Lance Lynn, so not an automatic loss.  I think the combination of:  Dave, Lance Lynn, Cardinals is like 0-25 with like -60 run differential all time.  LOL

Well, shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

Lost one to the worst team in the league today.  And it could have been worse.  They benefitted from a 3 run error, that they somehow gave 2 RBI to Goldschmidt for.  Cards were also having trouble with some infield throws, I believe the first run of the game was because of a throwing error.  And the infielders seemed to be on the wrong side of close plays too often.  Perhaps I am still used to Yadier's rifle arm, but Herrera is definitely run-on-able.  

Early returns on this 2023 draft class isn't looking good other than Quinn Matthews who is probably beating up on younger, less experience prospect.  But holy hell, Chase Davis has been all kinds of bad this year.

.189/.285/.317, 10.8 BB%, 30.1 K%, .293 wOBA, 77 wRC+ (44 games, 186 PA)

I'd like to say that he's starting to get things going, but his start of his June hasn't been much better.

.217/.308/.478, 13.0 BB%, 39.1 K%

He's not playing well at all.  He really needs to turn things around sooner rather than later.

Early big board for the Cardinals in the 2024 MLB Draft.

1.) Charlie Condon [3B/OF; Georgia]
2.) Travis Bazzana [2B; Oregon State]
3.) Konnor Griffin [SS/OF; Jackson Prep HS (Miss)]
4.) Chase Burns [RHP; Wake Forest]
5.) Hagen Smith [LHP; Arkansas]
6.) Jac Caglianone [1B/LHP; Florida]
7.) Bryce Rainer [SS; Harvard-Westlake HS (Cal)]

Condon and Bazzana seemed like foregone conclusions to be the top 2 picks in some order.  If I had to guess, Guardians grab Bazzana and the Reds take whomever the Guardians don't which would be Condon in this scenario.  Feels like the Rockies probably either grab Griffin or Caglianone at 3 unless the Guardians try and break an underslot deal at the top of the draft.  Feels like A's go with a college bat like Kurtz or Montgomery here.  And I think the White Sox would gobble up Kurtz if he gets this far.  Royals seem like a wild card, but I feel they're going pitching with either Smith or Burns.

Not trying to sound dramatic, but how the Cardinals do in their final 33 games before the All Star break is going to be MASSIVE in if they buy or sell at the deadline.  They only have a 3 game series against the Braves later this month that they play a team with a current winning record.

• Like 1