The STL Cardinals Thread - Welcome to STL JJ!

CWood21

On 7/6/2024 at 8:07 PM, CWood21 said:

I made this post on June 9th, and the Cardinals have gone 15-9 over that period.  I'm still not buying them as a legitimate playoff team, but the entire NL sans Colorado and Miami are still in the playoff mix.  8 more games left in the first half of the season

Cardinals have the best record in NL since 5/12/24. Early May was their turning point. 

Congrats to Ryan Helsley on the All-Star selection. He becomes only the 9th Cardinals pitcher since inception of the MLB draft (early 1960's) that was a homegorown/developed pitcher to be a multi time all-star. 

I had to do a double take when I saw that stat. 

Siani has to be playing CF regularly until Edman gets back. You can reassess from there, but we do not have anyone else capable of patrolling CF regularly. Nootbaar had 3 balls today that got down that Siani catches. Those all cost us runs.

1 hour ago, holt_bruce81 said:

Tommy Edman was scratched from the lineup last night at the last minute. No word yet on why. 

Apparently it's just general soreness, so good news.

They're treating this like a mini ST for him. He's got a 20 day window in which they have to make a decision on his roster status, which puts him right on track for 7/29. That is 1 day before the trade deadline. 

Jim Bowden saying he's heard we're aggressively looking to add veteran SP. He mentioned he's heard we've kicked tires on Yusei Kukuchi, Erick Fedde and Cal Quantril.

I've mentioned Fedde and Kukuchi in my recent thoughts and think either would be quality adds that don't cost a ton asset wise and would instantly slot in as our #2. I want no part of Quantril, he's got a worse strikeout rate than Mikolas.

Also lot of people out there connecting the dots with Max Scherzer. I don't think he's a fit here with where he's at in his career. He's basically a guy that you throw as minimal as possible in order to keep him healthy to perform in post season. We need the SP that's going to give us the quality innings to get us to the post season first and foremost.

6 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Also lot of people out there connecting the dots with Max Scherzer. I don't think he's a fit here with where he's at in his career. He's basically a guy that you throw as minimal as possible in order to keep him healthy to perform in post season. We need the SP that's going to give us the quality innings to get us to the post season first and foremost.

People have been connecting those dots for years. It definitely made sense in the past, but I agree that the ship has sailed. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Only way it'd even be remotely possible is if Texas ate pretty much the entire contract.

17 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Only way it'd even be remotely possible is if Texas ate pretty much the entire contract.

Pretty much. Even then, I think you're still looking at add another SP, as you can't afford to have pitch/inning limits on (2) starters in Gray and Scherzer in your rotation. 

If we really wanted to make a splash, Nathan Eovaldi should be the guy we're targeting with Texas. Not sure they'd trade him thoiugh, or we'd be willing to give up the cost. 

On 7/5/2024 at 7:48 AM, kgarrett12486 said:

Walker has the capability to be a league average defender at a corner OF spot.

I dont want league average at RF, that will hurt your defense overall, without question. If they would stop the charade and put him in LF where he basically just has to catch average Flyballs, I would be completely fine with that, but for some reason we are still on this RF thing. 

I dont think he has ever really an OF in his life till the last couple of years, it was mostly 3B, he isnt naturally an OF and it is painfully obvious to see.

Yes he got better from last year, but that isnt saying much since he was dreadful at times out in RF. Im not going to celebrate him being average and not being lost. Especially when his efforts to be an OF have clearly taken its toll on his ability at the plate. Had we just stuck him in LF (or better yet DH) and let him become a Major League level hitter, THEN see if he could make the transition to RF, that could have been worthwhile. Going about it this way is a hinderance to him and this team.

He is a natural infielder, 1B more likely would be a much simpler transition. Im just expecting the December column of "Walker training with Oquendo with new mitt" at this point after we move on from Goldschmidt this offseason

37 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Texas is basically on the hook for the rest of that salary regardless if they trade him or not. No one is taking on all that money AND sending any prospects for a guy on an innings restriction.