The STL Cardinals Thread - Welcome to STL JJ!

CWood21

2 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Ken Rosenthal reporting we're hiring former Nationals pitching coach Mike Maddux (yes of that Maddux clan) as our new pitching coach.

Solid hire, now that Hickey was likely headed to Chicago...

As soon as the Cubs fired Bosio, Hickey was heading to Chicago.  It would have been a huge upset had he not gone there given his ties to Maddon.

16 hours ago, ttitansfan4life said:

Bringing back Jose and adding Mike Maddux is a pretty solid start to the offseason so far.

Totally agree.  Oquendo should help with baserunning and defense, still major areas of concern for this team.  Bringing in Willie McGee is an interesting move too, and should also help the baserunning issue.  Maddux sounds like a great hire.  Sounds like he's one of the best out there, but he's also a great teacher and really good with young pitchers.  That's a great fit.  Bringing up Eversgerd from AAA makes a lot of sense, too.  We still have some player moves to make, but these coaching moves all sound like good steps in the right direction.

• The Cardinals are expected to be very active this winter after missing the playoffs two straight seasons (and being beaten out by the rival Cubs both times), and word is that in addition to a middle-of-the-order bat, they may look for one big starter and one big reliever. Jake Arrieta, Yu Darvish and Masahiro Tanaka (assuming he opts out) are the three biggest starters on the market, and it wouldn’t be a shock if they played for Arrieta. After seeing the Cubs take Jason Heyward two years ago, they took Dexter Fowler last year. They could do it again.
  • Wade Davis and Greg Holland (once he declines his option) are the two biggest free agent relievers out there.
  • Trevor Rosenthal, who’s having Tommy John surgery, would be expected to be non-tendered.
  • The Cardinals interviewed Jim Hickey but might have a tough battle with the rival Cubs on that front. Hickey was Joe Maddon’s pitching coach in Tampa.

From Jon Heyman

On 9/8/2017 at 6:37 PM, CWood21 said:

I just don't understand the logic of the people who are advocating signing Alex Cobb, but are so critical of Michael Wacha.  Between the two of them, only one of their six seasons combined have they hit at least 180 IP and that was Wacha in 2015.  Alex Cobb figures to hit that mark this year, but it's still worth noting.  And I think hoping that Alex Cobb will accept a 2-3 year deal as @kgarrett12486 alluded to is wishful thinking at best.  If his agent can't fetch him a 5 year deal, he needs to fire his agent immediately.

CWood, I know you're not a huge fan of Cobb, but VeB just profiled him as a potential sign this offseason. 

Not saying he is the best option, but if we are looking at shorter term options, I would be shocked if we could overpay for a 2 year deal for him to try and get the big long term one in a few seasons.

And a move like that would keep our assets for making a move for the MOTO Bat

18 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

CWood, I know you're not a huge fan of Cobb, but VeB just profiled him as a potential sign this offseason. 

Not saying he is the best option, but if we are looking at shorter term options, I would be shocked if we could overpay for a 2 year deal for him to try and get the big long term one in a few seasons.

And a move like that would keep our assets for making a move for the MOTO Bat

It's not that I don't like Cobb, I just don't think he's the best use of our resources.  As I've said, we need someone we can count on for 200+ innings.  Right now, we've got Carlos Martinez and a bunch of questions behind that.  Adam Wainwright struggled with injuries down the stretch.  Michael Wacha stayed relatively healthy this year, but he has had injuries in the past and his numbers were significantly worse the second and third time through the order.  And Luke Weaver and Jack Flaherty are both rookies.  That's a LOT of question marks.  Alex Cobb finished the year with 179.1 IP, and is in line for a big payday.  Spotrac has him projected to earn a 6 year, $110M deal ($18.3M/year), and I believe VEB projected him to be worth 4 years, $72.7M ($18.2M).  I think the AAV is relatively close enough, I think expecting 6 years from a team is unlikely given his track record.  Regardless, 4 years seems to be his floor and if his agent isn't capable of getting him 4 years, he should be fired.  So ultimately, I think he's going to get a 5 year deal worth roughly $91.5M.  That contract looks eerily similar to the one we just dumped in Mike Leake.  Only Cobb doesn't come with that same level of comfort that we're going to get 200+ innings out of Cobb.  That's my issue.

I'd honestly just rather pay the premium and go sign one of the big FA, whether that be Jake Arrieta or Yu Darvish.

EDIT: And it's not like we won't have a rotation spot open up next year, Adam Wainwright is a FA at the end of the year.

Knizner doing good work in the AFL...

ANDREW KNIZNER, C: The Cardinals’ prospect making the most waves in Arizona. He’s already won a Player of the Week award for the AFL, and he did so with a four-hit game and a two-homer game in the same week. After a brief break from play, Knizner returned and has a hit in each of his previous three games and three RBIs. Like Carson Kelly before him, Knizner is a converted catcher, and the work behind the plate has meant his production at the plate lagged a bit. He’s showing in Arizona that the bat is catching up. Through 10 games, he’s slashed .341/.372/.512 (41 at-bats) with the two homers and 10 RBIs. That leads the team. He also has two walks.

17 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I bet Kelly gets traded this offseason.

While its the smallest of sample sizes, it is still the AFL. If the Org believes this type of production is a legit indicator of Knizer's fiture, then it becomes a whole lot easier to move Kelly (especially with Yadi digging his heels in)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MOSteelers56 said:

What does a potential Michael Fulmer trade look like?

A crap ton.  Assuming that the Cardinals aren't willing to deal Alex Reyes because of injury, you start with Carson Kelly and Jack Flaherty and work from there.

20 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

A crap ton.  Assuming that the Cardinals aren't willing to deal Alex Reyes because of injury, you start with Carson Kelly and Jack Flaherty and work from there.

I'd be willing to ditch Kelly, Flaherty, Piscotty, and Bader/O'Neil/Mags. I'm not sure that would get it done, though.

2 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I'd be willing to ditch Kelly, Flaherty, Piscotty, and Bader/O'Neil/Mags. I'm not sure that would get it done, though.

Too lazy to do any real leg work into it, but my initial guess says that still isn't close.  Carson Kelly, Jack Flaherty, Delvin Perez, and Sandy Alcantara is probably the start of the package.  Honestly, I think Detroit would demand a blue-chip prospect back and I don't think the Cardinals have one to offer.