The STL Cardinals Thread - Welcome to STL JJ!

CWood21

1 hour ago, holt_bruce81 said:

So why not trade for Archer and sign Wade Davis or Holland? unless you can get Colome for say a package of Grichuk/Junior Fernandez or something at that level, why not just fork over the extra dollars and sign one of these free agents who would probably be just as effective in that role and not cost you any prospects?

Cardinals trade:
Luke Weaver
Randal Grichuk
Harrison Bader
Dakota Hudson

Rays trade:
Chris Archer 

There is no gaurantee Rays even want to move Archer. I'd be fine with getting Archer and then signing a FA closer, but Rays may want us to take both and maximize their return. Could be the holdup in this...

Also, I'm not sure that package gets you Archer. I think it'll start with Flaherty and Kelly, two of our top 3 and then some. His contract is insanely valuable...

Edited by kgarrett12486

On 12/22/2017 at 2:59 PM, kgarrett12486 said:

think it'll start with Flaherty and Kelly, two of our top 3 and then some. His contract is insanely valuable...

Two of our top 3 assets would be Weaver/Kelly. And that more likely where an Archer deal starts. Plus Grichuck, plus maybe Flaherty, plus plus plus

its going to take a giant package to get Archer. Are you all prepared to give that?

3 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

Two of our top 3 assets would be Weaver/Kelly. And that more likely where an Archer deal starts. Plus Grichuck, plus maybe Flaherty, plus plus plus

its going to take a giant package to get Archer. Are you all prepared to give that?

Depends. I've heard some teams are higher on Flaherty...

And to answer your question, yes I'd be willing to move a giant package for Archer. He's insanely valuable...

3 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

Lets not get carried away. Trading for Archer is going to cost a lot, but there's no way in hell it's going to cost THAT much. Kelly-Weaver-Grichuk-Flaherty-plus-plus....absolutely not even a chance. 

2 hours ago, holt_bruce81 said:

Lets not get carried away. Trading for Archer is going to cost a lot, but there's no way in hell it's going to cost THAT much. Kelly-Weaver-Grichuk-Flaherty-plus-plus....absolutely not even a chance. 

It's gonna be expensive.  They're not getting Flaherty, Weaver, AND Kelly.  They'll get two of the three though.  And the Cardinals would still need to add a significant amount of value beyond that.

20 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

It's gonna be expensive.  They're not getting Flaherty, Weaver, AND Kelly.  They'll get two of the three though.  And the Cardinals would still need to add a significant amount of value beyond that.

No doubt. I think everyone knows that. But it's not costing Weaver, Flaherty, Grichuk, Kelly and some more prospects on top of that. There's not even a chance. 

1 hour ago, holt_bruce81 said:

No doubt. I think everyone knows that. But it's not costing Weaver, Flaherty, Grichuk, Kelly and some more prospects on top of that. There's not even a chance. 

Honestly, I wouldn't blame them for asking that much.  Archer is incredibly valuable.

6 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Would you guys do this package for Archer:

Jack Flaherty, Carson Kelly, Randal Grichuk, Jordan Hicks, Jose Adolis Garcia

In a heartbeat.  Unfortunately, I don't think there's much of a chance that the Rays would take that deal.

19 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

If you don’t think the Rays will take that package, we are already approaching the the package I threw out there

I think there's a stark difference between what the Rays would want and what the Cardinals are willing to give up.

19 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I think there's a stark difference between what the Rays would want and what the Cardinals are willing to give up.

Archer is the type of player I'd see us being willing to part with multiple high end prospects for, because if his talent and his control.. 

Mo has said in past he's not against moving these peices if the talent and future control is there for the Cards. Complete different situation than a Donaldson, Machado or even Ozuna...

I could see this being the guy we'd strip the farm for...

I was asking my brother (who knows A LOT more about baseball than I do) about Archer at our family Christmas gathering.  He said that in terms of overall skill & value (not necessarily specific skillset), Carlos Martinez is probably a good comp for Archer.  Would you guys agree with that?