The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?

CWood21

Just now, CWood21 said:

Jordan Walker with another HR, and he's making it even harder to justify sending him down to Memphis.

Noot/TON/and Carlson might find themselves playing for another team relatively quickly. I'd say Walker doesn't come up unless he's starting. I'd say any of of those guys would be a good piece in a trade for a solid piece. Walker doesn't look like a minor leaguer, that's for sure. 

4 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Jordan Walker with another HR, and he's making it even harder to justify sending him down to Memphis.

Won't have anything to do with his talent or production. It'll all depend on how much playing time they can get him. If it's not enough for him to continue to progress, he'll get sent down to where he can get it. 

44 minutes ago, JonStark said:

Won't have anything to do with his talent or production. It'll all depend on how much playing time they can get him. If it's not enough for him to continue to progress, he'll get sent down to where he can get it. 

If he makes the big league roster out of ST, he will be a starting cOFer.  They're not going to promote him to sit on the bench.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

It's not a hole if you have surplus, or it's a prospect.

I'm not sure it's as much an OF surplus as I think we'd like it to be.  O'Neill is coming off a 1.3 WAR season, which was substantially worse than the 5.6 WAR season he had the year before.  As a former top 25 prospect, Dylan Carlson hasn't really taken off like we had hoped and seems to be that ~2.5 WAR outfielder.  A solid piece, but nothing crazy.  And Lars Nootbaar might be another one of those devil's magic player.  Trading O'Neill last offseason would be trading him for peanuts compared to his actual worth.  And until proven otherwise, I'm assuming that the Cardinals are going to manipulate Jordan Walker's service time.

On 3/4/2023 at 8:52 PM, CWood21 said:

I'm not sure it's as much an OF surplus as I think we'd like it to be.  O'Neill is coming off a 1.3 WAR season, which was substantially worse than the 5.6 WAR season he had the year before.  As a former top 25 prospect, Dylan Carlson hasn't really taken off like we had hoped and seems to be that ~2.5 WAR outfielder.  A solid piece, but nothing crazy.  And Lars Nootbaar might be another one of those devil's magic player.  Trading O'Neill last offseason would be trading him for peanuts compared to his actual worth.  And until proven otherwise, I'm assuming that the Cardinals are going to manipulate Jordan Walker's service time.

Which is why I said they can go get anyone the want in season, meaning it's not gonna happen in the 2-3 months of the season. Most teams don't even consider themselves out of the hunt until at least that point and you don't see guys come available until around that time in season. Walker's service time will be non-issue by then. 

I still think it's a surplus. O'Neill may never get back to the MVP level, but he's better than what he showed last year with the bat. The injuries are always the concern wth him. He's still a GG defender with the ability to play all (3) OF spots. There is value in that alone to teams. Jury is out on Carlson. He's got to show he can hit RHP. However, he's only 24 and still highly regarded around the league. He was coveted by teams looking to make a deal last trade deadline and we heard his name rumored this offseason too. Nootbarr was the guy every teams was asking about this offseason in deals. Plus, you still got a guy like Burleson who was a top100 guy and had very limited look. Not to mention the fact that Donovan can play OF as well. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Nootbarr was the guy every teams was asking about this offseason in deals.

Noot has now become invaluable, seeing as he and Ohtani are best buds thanks to the WBC (I knew I always liked this useless tournament for some reason). So I am now projecting us as the Favorites to sign Shohei for 2024 (Noot can be his replacement on Pitching Days)

• Like 1

• CWood21 changed the title to The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?