Raiders sign QB Jimmy Garoppolo (3 years, $67.5M, $34M gtd)

RaidersAreOne

2 minutes ago, Heart of Oak said:

For me it is not a Patriots thing, in fact I believe Dave and Josh can turn this thing around which makes it sting all the more when they make a decision like this. We should have been all in on the top QB prospect and used our FA monery and remaining picks to build a team - giving the rookie some experience while we build. 

The team is suffering for years of poor drafting. You want to go all in (multiple first and second round picks) to move up in a QB class where there is no sure thing?

Without a Burrow, Lawrence level talent that seems negligent from my view when the roster is so void of talent. 

1 minute ago, Heart of Oak said:

Had they re-signed Stidham or someone like that and said we are not sold on the 2023 draft class - waiting for a better prospect I would have been in on the rebuild but this just reinforces our mediocrity.

Coming out and saying they don't like the QB class before the draft would be a bold move. Also we've. discussed this 100s of times in this forum but "waiting for a better prospect" is such a flawed concept. QBs rise and drop like bitcoin, injuries happen, we have no idea where we will be selecting next year.

Simply assuming "Ah well we can just get Caleb Williams next year" is obviously so outlandish at this point in time.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

What makes you think he’ll stay healthy? He never has.

I don't think he will stay healthy. But I don't really care at this point.

This team was not going to compete in the AFC this year anyway. I'm just hoping they can nail some draft picks and build things up until they can find a long term answer at QB. 

Fully acknowledge they are in the middle with JG and if he gets hurt, well they may have a chance at a better class of QB.

• Like 4

The contract isn’t stupid. That’s a plus. That being said I’m not liking the move. Time will tell, but most of us have no doubt he won’t play a whole season. I obviously would’ve gone a different route. Hope jimmy g proves us all wrong, at this point that’s all I can do. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

One of those guys has shown the ability to go toe-to toe, even if only for stretches. The other one is a game manager who is a bottom 5 deep passer among NFL starters, coasting with an elite defense. Don't see this as a positive at all.

I agree. Jimmy G is exactly the type of stopgap bum QB I was talking about. Adam’s will be pissed as he is a downgrade over Carr and injury prone. No excuses for JM as he got his guy.

Like I have been saying for a long time, this is a 4ish win team who will struggle to find quality free agents at a good price… 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Coming out and saying they don't like the QB class before the draft would be a bold move. Also we've. discussed this 100s of times in this forum but "waiting for a better prospect" is such a flawed concept. QBs rise and drop like bitcoin, injuries happen, we have no idea where we will be selecting next year.

Simply assuming "Ah well we can just get Caleb Williams next year" is obviously so outlandish at this point in time.

We could say this because no one would believe us anyway.

As for waiting I agree - but if they are not in on one then fine. This is just a waste of cap - we could have just got a poor bridge, better picks and accelerated the rebuild.

I think I might log off and go and drink a bottle of whisky.

1 minute ago, big_palooka said:

Relative to QBs of his caliber, he is not overpaid. 

In my view this is 3 one year deals put together. He gets a small guarantee relative to QBs in his class with flexibility moving forward for the team.

Carr had a 40 mil roster bonus if he was not cut. And was just paid 100 mil guranteed. Definition of overpaying average. 

Jimmy is average. The contract is average. 

We will see! Considering 2 other qbs on the niners outplayed him, I believe he is a product of a system, and talented team. 
I hope i am wrong. 
No one wanted him last offseason, he played average for 12 games this year, but the niners got better after he left. 

That is what scares me the most. Brock Purdy came in to the system and looked like the next big thing in year 1. 
If jimmy struggles this year and gets beat out by a rookie qb for us, and he is locked in to make 22 mil next year, will you still say that is not being overpaid? 

If Carr struggled again, he could be cut for 7 mil dead money before 24. 

Again, Carr was due 33 mil from us this upcoming season. then could be cut.
Jimmy is going to be around 22, plus the cost of dead money of carr is 27 mil . . 
if Jimmy struggles, we are stuck to him, and will be over paying for a backup qb.

Why do you think Jimmy G signed so cheap? IF teams viewed him the same as Carr dont you think theyd want a simialr contract?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

I agree. Jimmy G is exactly the type of stopgap bum QB I was talking about. Adam’s will be pissed as he is a downgrade over Carr and injury prone. No excuses for JM as he got his guy.

Like I have been saying for a long time, this is a 4ish win team who will struggle to find quality free agents at a good price… 

We just got Jimmy G for less than half of what Carr got though? How is signing the best QB on the market for 22M a year 

5 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

Bet my house Jimmy G wins more than 4 games.

Adams going to love a QB who can throw the ball in the red zone. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Red zone since 2014:

Garoppolo 100.4 8th of 38 QBs

Carr 89.7 30th of 38

That's 4 more wins right there ya haters. 

how many times did each get to the redzone?
Id bet Carr got there more. 

If jimmy only gets there once or twice a game, it may not be 4 more wins.