Jalen Carter-How Far Will He Slide?

Just Want A Title

5 minutes ago, General Tso said:

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/pro-day-news-and-rumors-jalen-carter-falls-while-nolan-smith-and-john-michael-schmitz-rise/

Not sure how reliable this is, but the Lions were "flabbergasted" by Carter's work out.

From the article.  Yikes!!

Let’s start with defensive tackle Jalen Carter, who I tweeted about early today, mentioning the poor reviews I was hearing from fellow attendees. Carter tipped the scales at 323 pounds, nine pounds heavier than his NFL Scouting Combine weight. Carter did not work out but participated in position drills and looked awful.

Carter was huffing and puffing throughout the workout and looked out of shape. I’m told he was on his knees at the end of the workout — not praying but rather gasping for air. The defensive tackle-needy Detroit Lions, who hold the sixth pick of the draft, were flabbergasted by what they saw.

30 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

From the article.  Yikes!!

Let’s start with defensive tackle Jalen Carter, who I tweeted about early today, mentioning the poor reviews I was hearing from fellow attendees. Carter tipped the scales at 323 pounds, nine pounds heavier than his NFL Scouting Combine weight. Carter did not work out but participated in position drills and looked awful.

Carter was huffing and puffing throughout the workout and looked out of shape. I’m told he was on his knees at the end of the workout — not praying but rather gasping for air. The defensive tackle-needy Detroit Lions, who hold the sixth pick of the draft, were flabbergasted by what they saw.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/35871548/jalen-carter-pleads-no-contest-charges-reckless-driving-racing

Well we have some more news on Carter. Who knows what the truth really is, but if this is true, then I think he was just being a stupid kid. Wouldn't have a problem drafting him at 6.

19 minutes ago, General Tso said:

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/35871548/jalen-carter-pleads-no-contest-charges-reckless-driving-racing

Well we have some more news on Carter. Who knows what the truth really is, but if this is true, then I think he was just being a stupid kid. Wouldn't have a problem drafting him at 6.

Even if his legal problems are settled, that pro day workout is problematic.  That seems like too much bust potential.  Taking him at 18 might be more palatable.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, General Tso said:

Me neither. Like I said, him gaining 9lbs during the most stressful time in his life (biggest job interview ever + legal issues) can affect guys. It's important to interview people around him and see what he needs to be successful, but teams will be pissed they passed on him when he loses 10lbs and is the best player from the draft. 

48 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

Me neither. Like I said, him gaining 9lbs during the most stressful time in his life (biggest job interview ever + legal issues) can affect guys. It's important to interview people around him and see what he needs to be successful, but teams will be pissed they passed on him when he loses 10lbs and is the best player from the draft. 

How many times have we seen guys like him bust vs guys like him succeed? My money is on him being out of the league in 5 years. 

• Like 1

If this happened how would you feel:

Detroit trades #6 and #48 (and perhaps next years 3rd or 4th) to AZ for pick #3.  Draft Will Anderson

Detroit trades #18 and #55, and perhaps #152 to NE for #14.  Draft Jalen Carter.

At the end of the draft you come away Anderson and Carter.  Personally I'd be absolutely thrilled

16 minutes ago, Millenhater said:

If this happened how would you feel:

Detroit trades #6 and #48 (and perhaps next years 3rd or 4th) to AZ for pick #3.  Draft Will Anderson

Detroit trades #18 and #55, and perhaps #152 to NE for #14.  Draft Jalen Carter.

At the end of the draft you come away Anderson and Carter.  Personally I'd be absolutely thrilled

I'm not trading all of that draft capital for two guys, one of which I could get at #6 without trading. 

7 minutes ago, nagahide13 said:

Racing situation is resolved. I don't think that was much of a hit to his stock in the first place. The workouts are huge.

I think teams will bring him in for visits and see where he's at. I think alot of people are making definitive statements without knowing all the facts. I trust in Holmes to make the right choice, no matter what he decides. But some team is going to get one hell of a player.