2023 Draft Discussion (Day2pg18)

Chiefs_5627

I think with the emphasis on DL this year we role a little heavy on the 53.  Similar to how we did with the OL 2 years ago and WR last year.   I could see it up being something like;

Edge(6):  Karlaftis , Omenihu, Danna, FAU, Herring , BJ Thompson
DT(4):  Jones, Nnadi, Wharton, Coburn
LB(5): Bolton, Gay, Chenal, Tranquil, ???
CB(5): Snead, McDuffie, Watson, Williams, Connor
Saf(4): Reid, Cook, Edwards, Bush

Still think we check out the vet options at T, WR, and Edge.   I would say keep another DB instead of the LB but I think the roles are pretty defined with that group.  I would almost add another DT, instead of the LB, but Cowart could be a guy we could throw on the PS if he doesn’t make it.

Liking the FAU tape, he’s got a full arsenal of moves, great first step and he’s relentless. Really reminds me of Tamba in some of the tape, probably because he’s rocking 91.

Rashee is interesting, supposedly he had a broken toe he was playing on all last season. Was still really productive, but had problems with press(broken toe?). But Mahomes has a connection already and he’s great at the scramble drill, that’s halfway there in this offense. He’s not afraid of the weight room either.

These things are hard to navigate. on purpose, I think. CBS still lists as 210 DB

1 31 Felix Anudike-Uzomah EDGE, KSTATE

Height: 6-4, Weight: 255

He fills a position of need on the edge, but I didn’t love his tape. He was miscast at Kansas State, playing more inside than on the edge. But I am not sure he’s a dynamic edge player. (Pete Prisco)

C+

2   55 Rashee Rice WR, SMU

Height: 6-2, Weight: 203

Rice is a perimeter stud who can win in contested-catch scenarios and dominates with authoritative yards-after-the-catch ability. Explosive. Just didn't run a variety of routes. A classic Chiefs pick. Trade up dips the grade slightly. (Chris Trapasso)

A-

3 92 Wanya Morris OT, OKLA

Height: 6-6, Weight: 310

Athletic, incredibly long blocker. Nastiness to his game but has to get stronger. Occasionally lost at the second level. Not a classic Oklahoma masher. Has starting RT ability. Got injured during the pre-draft process. (Chris Trapasso)

B+

4 119 Chamarri Conner S, VATECH

Height: 6-0, Weight: 206

Explosive athlete who mirrors well and is part safety, part nickel cornerback. Tackling issues pop on film because of his high-energy style. Not a major ball production type either. Opportunistic DB. Trade up dips the grade slightly. (Chris Trapasso)

C

5 166 BJ Thompson S, SFA

Height: 6-6, Weight: 210

Long, big-time athlete from the small-school level who flashes pass-rush ability. Rushers are high and sticks to blocks often. Strength has to greatly improve at the next level. This is the time to pick fliers like this. (Chris Trapasso)

C+

6 194 Keondre Coburn DL, TEXAS

Height: 6-2, Weight: 344

Fun DT on film who has high-level flashes as a pass-rusher. They just don't happen very frequently. Poor testing numbers are probably why he's available this late. Wide-bodied NT who was needed in Kansas City. (Chris Trapasso)

C

7 250 Nic Jones CB, BALLST

Height: 6-0, Weight: 185

Aggressive boundary cornerback that is willing to play downhill. He tends to get stuck at the stem and needs to do a better job of breaking his feet down in space. Kansas City has done a great job identifying late round DBs. (Josh Edwards)

C-

On 4/29/2023 at 4:34 PM, KC_Guy said:

need to get in some RB and LB though .. be it at 7th round, UDFA or post draft free agency. But RB ... not worried ... they´ve been excellent at filing that role

McKinnon is still waiting too, I’m just saying, maybe our best weapon not named Travis down the stretch and maybe even better than Trav.

8 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

1 31 Felix Anudike-Uzomah EDGE, KSTATE

Height: 6-4, Weight: 255

He fills a position of need on the edge, but I didn’t love his tape. He was miscast at Kansas State, playing more inside than on the edge. But I am not sure he’s a dynamic edge player. (Pete Prisco)

C

Could his analysis be any lazier? He was miscast, but I’m not impressed.  If FAU played at Bama or UGA and was an edge with multiple pass rush moves that he could win with these guys would be drooling all over him.

• Like 1

On 4/30/2023 at 9:35 AM, Chiefer said:

Liking the FAU tape, he’s got a full arsenal of moves, great first step and he’s relentless. Really reminds me of Tamba in some of the tape, probably because he’s rocking 91.

Rashee is interesting, supposedly he had a broken toe he was playing on all last season. Was still really productive, but had problems with press(broken toe?). But Mahomes has a connection already and he’s great at the scramble drill, that’s halfway there in this offense. He’s not afraid of the weight room either.

I thought the same thing lol idk if it’s because he wears 91 but he has bend. 3rd and longs are gonna be FUN; Felix-Omenuhi-Jones-GK

3 hours ago, chiefs82 said:

I thought the same thing lol idk if it’s because he wears 91 but he has bend. 3rd and longs are gonna be FUN; Felix-Omenuhi-Jones-GK

yeah I like the idea of two relentless pass rushers on the outside, they’ll chase down QBs when Jones flushes em out the pocket.

All these guys are different body types and can all beat you in different ways, combine that with Turk and Danna.  Then you’ve got your more traditional Noses in Nnadi and Coburn to round it out, that’s a lot of variety there that OLs have to prepare for on Sundays.

Brett Veach excited for versatility Chamarri Conner brings to Chiefs’ defensive backfield:

Brett Veach excited for versatility Chamarri Conner brings to Chiefs’ defensive backfield (msn.com)

Veach has proven over and over again that he can sift through players and identify talent, smarts, and the ability to seamlessly fit into the Chiefs system better than his peers.  KC has the youngest, most talented secondary in the NFL IMHO.

Edited by KCsb
wrong word put in

5 hours ago, mayanfootball said:

Been feeling the pulse post-draft and I must say the consensus is rather underwhelming for KC's accomplishments.

I think with all the draft capital we had, expectations were higher.

My take? We needed more DT, WR and fresh legs at RB.

I think our draft will end up being very solid.  Perhaps we didn’t go big or flashy.  But we also didn’t reach or burn a ton of draft capital to trade up.  We tried to make a big splash move but were denied, we tried to slide back a few spots but it wasn’t there.

I am in the majority of being glad we didn’t take a RB.  With Pop still being young, still having CEH and criminally unappreciated McKinnon back I think we’re fine with an off season pick up or undrafted chipping in on ST.  I don’t think many GMs turn over the waiver wire gems better than Veach.  Just gotta breathe and remember, the season doesn’t start tomorrow.

• Like 1