Official Minor League and Amateur Baseball Thread

beekay414

11 minutes ago, FGK said:

I'm surprised by Condon not going #2 as well. I wonder if that's a need influenced pick? Reds certainly need more SP's than bats right now.

The Reds rotation is actually pretty solid right now filled mostly with young guys with many years of control left.

Hunter Greene, 3.34 ERA, 24 years old
Nick Lodolo, 3.30 ERA, 26 years old
Andrew Abbott, 3.39 ERA, 25 years old
Frankie Montas, 4.38 ERA, 31 years old
Carson Spiers, 3.83 RA, 26 years old

Graham Ashcraft has been up and down but is also only 26.  They have Julian Aguiar who has been very good the past two years in AAA is only 23.  Rhett Lowder is in AA and despite bad numbers, his peripherals are good, that team is just god awful defensively, he's only 22.  They have a good 20 year old LHP named Adam Serwinowski in Low A, now they have Burns who will start in High A or AA.  Only Montas (who we have for 2025 as well) is not under team control through 2029.

I have no idea why we didn't go Condon.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

The Reds rotation is actually pretty solid right now filled mostly with young guys with many years of control left.

Hunter Greene, 3.34 ERA, 24 years old
Nick Lodolo, 3.30 ERA, 26 years old
Andrew Abbott, 3.39 ERA, 25 years old
Frankie Montas, 4.38 ERA, 31 years old
Carson Spiers, 3.83 RA, 26 years old

Graham Ashcraft has been up and down but is also only 26.  They have Julian Aguiar who has been very good the past two years in AAA is only 23.  Rhett Lowder is in AA and despite bad numbers, his peripherals are good, that team is just god awful defensively, he's only 22.  They have a good 20 year old LHP named Adam Serwinowski in Low A, now they have Burns who will start in High A or AA.  Only Montas (who we have for 2025 as well) is not under team control through 2029.

I have no idea why we didn't go Condon.

Yep and you have some interesting arms in guys like Chase Petty, Ty Floyd and Cole Schoenwetter too. I would've gone Condon all day.

36 minutes ago, Eagles27 said:

Interesting pick from the Angels...

He was rising, but didn't hear much top 10 chatter for Moore. 

Angels are going to Angel.  They’re probably going to promote him August 1st to majors just because.  

I also have to LOL at the amount of money they threw at bullpen arms this off-season, and how many draft picks they spent that one year at pitcher, all to let Jacob Webb go on a waiver claim to Baltimore and he’s been a damn good reliever since.  

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

I have no idea what we're doing this year...

And 57 and 67 answered that pretty well. Think we were hoping Sloan would get to 57 but Meccage and Levonas scream Brewers pitching lab prospects. I would've preferred Dasan Hill with one of the picks tho. 

11 hours ago, beekay414 said:

I wanna know who we're saving money for. Nobody is really falling nor are there any high school bonus babies really this year...guess we'll find out more at 57 or 67 than 34.

Sometime that money saved is just to get more high upside high school kids away from college moreso than giving one guy 7 figures above slot level.

On 7/15/2024 at 8:28 AM, THE DUKE said:

Sometime that money saved is just to get more high upside high school kids away from college moreso than giving one guy 7 figures above slot level.

Looks like the Guardians used savings from #1 and a few of their later college picks to go after three HS seniors in their top 10 picks who were ranked significantly above where they were taken (IE, probably asking for over-slot deals).

28 minutes ago, FGK said:

Looks like the Guardians used savings from #1 and a few of their later college picks to go after three HS seniors in their top 10 picks who were ranked significantly above where they were taken (IE, probably asking for over-slot deals).

Oakie is going to get a good chunk over slot, that's for sure.

• Like 1