Chase Young's 5th Year Option

Slappy Mc

2 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

What is being left out of this argument is that if you don't pick up his option he and Montez Sweat hit free agency at the same time. 

We aren't paying both though right? So we could franchise/LTD one, and the other walks. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MikeT14 said:

We aren't paying both though right? So we could franchise/LTD one, and the other walks. 

And as I posited in the thread we were arguing about, what happens if they both have big years? You're seriously letting a mid 20s DE walk in his prime for a 3rd round compensation pick? Not picking up his option creates so many issues next year with the free agents we have coming up. Its absolutely asinine not to do so. I mean, if Rivera is still here does picking up Chase's option matter or are you guys worried about missing out on some more Nick Gates and Andrew Wylie's? Maybe another stud like Cody Barton? We had like $25M in cap space, he spent it all and the team isn't better. So yeah, pick up Chase's option because its $17M Rivera can't waste on someone else's back up.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lavar703 said:

And as I posited in the thread we were arguing about, what happens if they both have big years? You're seriously letting a mid 20s DE walk in his prime for a 3rd round compensation pick? Not picking up his option creates so many issues next year with the free agents we have coming up. Its absolutely asinine not to do so. I mean, if Rivera is still here does picking up Chase's option matter or are you guys worried about missing out on some more Nick Gates and Andrew Wylie's? Maybe another stud like Cody Barton? We had like $25M in cap space, he spent it all and the team isn't better. So yeah, pick up Chase's option because its $17M Rivera can't waste on someone else's back up.

How can you afford to field a team with Chase/Sweat/Payne/Allen taking up roughly $80+ million in cap space? You're going to lose one of Sweat/Curl/Young in this whole thing regardless, no? 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MikeT14 said:

How can you afford to field a team with Chase/Sweat/Payne/Allen taking up roughly $80+ million in cap space? You're going to lose one of Sweat/Curl/Young in this whole thing regardless, no? 

You don't. You pick up Young's option and then if they both have big years you tag Sweat and you decide which one you want to keep and trade the other. Not picking up Young's option all but takes the ability to do this off the table. 

1 minute ago, lavar703 said:

You don't. You pick up Young's option and then if they both have big years you tag Sweat and you decide which one you want to keep and trade the other. Not picking up Young's option all but takes the ability to do this off the table. 

So get a 2nd round pick instead of a 3rd if he performs. Okay, fine. Works for me. It's a very similar issue anyway with a hole and filling it, but yes you can maybe get a higher pick now instead of later if someone trades for him. 

Just now, lavar703 said:

You run into the same problem the following year if you do that. 

By not picking up the 5th year option you can afford to pay Montez if he performs and Chase doesn't. 

To bank on someone turning it around when they haven't shown it in 3 years is bad business in my opinion. 

And again if you don't pick up the option and they both ball out, you figure out which one (or maybe both somehow) gets the LTD. It's better to have multiple performing well to earn the payday over paying people well for underperforming. 

6 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

You run into the same problem the following year if you do that. 

By not picking up the 5th year option you can afford to pay Montez if he performs and Chase doesn't. 

To bank on someone turning it around when they haven't shown it in 3 years is bad business in my opinion. 

And again if you don't pick up the option and they both ball out, you figure out which one (or maybe both somehow) gets the LTD. It's better to have multiple performing well to earn the payday over paying people well for underperforming. 

If you trade Young, Montez would be the one paid. He wouldn't be playing on the tag, similar to Payne. I've expressed over and over again why I think not picking up the option is a bad idea. You think Chase is a bust and I think he's a 23-year old who's been hampered by a major injury. Even bringing up the struggles in his sophomore season is fine although I always counter it with the entire defensive line struggled and then the line coach got fired. If he's a bust it is what it is and you move on but not picking up his option presents a lot more issues than picking it up. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

I think you have to pick up the 5th year option.

110%. They'd be insane to let him walk. I know he's been injured, but the dude is phenomenal when he's playing. You also invested so much in your DL so that you can let guys like Young feast in 1-1 matchups. That's the identity of the Commanders right now. Letting the most talented of your DL walk at a young age would be dumb. They are re-signing him.

3 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

His ceiling is the best pass-rusher in the NFL

I don't know about this. Myles Garrett exists still & he's arguably not even the best pass rusher. His potential is higher than Young's. Much bendier and explosive.

22 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:

110%. They'd be insane to let him walk. I know he's been injured, but the dude is phenomenal when he's playing. You also invested so much in your DL so that you can let guys like Young feast in 1-1 matchups. That's the identity of the Commanders right now. Letting the most talented of your DL walk at a young age would be dumb. They are re-signing him.

This is the problem... I don't know how much you have watched him since getting to the NFL, but I would like to challenge you to show evidence of him "being phenomenal" at the pro level. I will wait. 

There is such a perception and persona about him being this generational guy and its just not translating. I would love for him to be "that guy" but as of yet, it's not there. And arguably after suffering a serious injury, he may never be. 

Again I am not advocating from them to move on from Chase, but not picking up the 5th year option is the right move for the results so far. If he plays well, franchise him. Committing 17.45M guaranteed to a player that has less than 10 career sacks in 3 years (when that is supposed to be their calling card) is incredibly foolish, IMO.

Edited by Slappy Mc
  • Like 2