Chase Young's 5th Year Option

Slappy Mc

So I have been debating this with fellow sufferers of Dan Snyder's ownership, do you pick up Chase Young's 5th year option?

My feelings are that Chase Young has been a bust. Can't stay healthy, played 27 games in 3 years. Stats are very underwhelming, including his Defensive Rookie of the Year season, 7.5 sacks, 4 FF, 3 FR, 1 TD, 12 QB pressures and 44 total tackles. His career stats are 9.0 sacks, 6 FF, 3 FR, 1 TD, 17 QB pressures and 75 total tackles. 

For the 2nd overall pick, "a generational talent", this just isn't getting it done in my opinion. 

So Ron Rivera caused a stir because he stated they hadn't decided on Chase's 5th year option. Plenty of people were in an uproar thinking it should be a no brainer. 

So my question to other fans is, what would you all do if you were in the shoes of the GM? Do you pick up the 5th year option in hopes that he can stay healthy and play up to his potential? Do you pass on the option and risk having to tag him or work a long term deal for more money earlier?

• Like 1

I think you have to pick up the 5th year option. His ceiling is the best pass-rusher in the NFL, playing one of the most important positions and still only 23. For sure he's been a big disappointment to this point in time but give him year 5 to prove he can stay healthy and produce. That "gamble" is well, well worth it.

1 minute ago, RaidersAreOne said:

I think you have to pick up the 5th year option. His ceiling is the best pass-rusher in the NFL, playing one of the most important positions and still only 23. For sure he's been a big disappointment to this point in time but give him year 5 to prove he can stay healthy and produce. That "gamble" is well, well worth it.

His 5th year option is $17.45M. That is a steep gamble to make. If he doesn't perform, you are still stuck paying the tab. 

Honestly, I have seen nothing since he got to the NFL to say his ceiling is anything near the best pass rusher in the NFL. If you look at TJ Watt, Micah Parson, Nick Bosa, Myles Garrett they have shown the ability to take over games. Chase has never even come close to that. Add in the fact he had a major surgery two years ago, we may never get his rookie year production again.

8 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

I don't think that is true at all. He doesn't have the elite bend that some of these other guys do to perform at the level of guys like Garrett, Parsons, and Bosa.

Based on his injury history, I wouldn't pick up that 5th year option. Odds are he gets hurt again, then you've got almost $20 million sitting in the training room that year. I'm very low on Young, and I think the best move with him is trading him now while you may still get some value for him from a team who thinks they can 'unlock' his potential.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

His 5th year option is $17.45M. That is a steep gamble to make. If he doesn't perform, you are still stuck paying the tab. 

Sure $17.45 is a lot of money but relative to other uber high potential DE's it's not bad. Look at some of these comparable DE AAVs:

• Leonard Williams at $21M
  • Chandler Jones at $17M
  • Emmanuel Ogbah at $16.35M
  • Zach Allen at $15.2M
  • Carl Lawson at $15M

Then of course you have the big dogs at:

• Watt at $28M
  • Bosa at $27M
  • Garrett at $25M
  • Mack at $23.5M
  • Crosby att $23.5M
  • Chubb at $22M

I personally am fine with paying Chase $17.45M in the hopes he can put it all together. If he bombs then so what, Washington will have a new billionaire Owner forking out cash for him on IR. It's not like the Commanders have a high-end QB to extend soon or anything.

100% worth it imo.

7 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Sure $17.45 is a lot of money but relative to other uber high potential DE's it's not bad. Look at some of these comparable DE AAVs:

• Leonard Williams at $21M
  • Chandler Jones at $17M
  • Emmanuel Ogbah at $16.35M
  • Zach Allen at $15.2M
  • Carl Lawson at $15M

Then of course you have the big dogs at:

• Watt at $28M
  • Bosa at $27M
  • Garrett at $25M
  • Mack at $23.5M
  • Crosby att $23.5M
  • Chubb at $22M

I personally am fine with paying Chase $17.45M in the hopes he can put it all together. If he bombs then so what, Washington will have a new billionaire Owner forking out cash for him on IR. It's not like the Commanders have a high-end QB to extend soon or anything.

100% worth it imo.

I think risking paying an extra $2M if he plays well enough to get tagged is worth keeping the $17.5M open if he doesn't play well.

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I think risking paying an extra $2M if he plays well enough to get tagged is worth keeping the $17.5M open if he doesn't play well.

Yes that's fair and I agree. I think regardless you need to keep Chase as long as you can until you get the utmost confidence he is a bust. Either tag or use the 5th year, just don't let the guy walk.

9 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Yes that's fair and I agree. I think regardless you need to keep Chase as long as you can until you get the utmost confidence he is a bust. Either tag or use the 5th year, just don't let the guy walk.

Oh I'm not saying get rid of him. I don't think Ron Rivera said get rid of him either. It was more about the 5th year option argument. I think based off name value and draft position they put him on a pedestal and it is unearned. 

I hope Chase lives up to his potential and turns it around to earn the big contract. In a perfect world he becomes the world beater he was supposed to be.