Raiders sign QB Brian Hoyer (2 years)

RaidersAreOne

13 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Meh stiddy got what 5$ mill

Even that’s too much money for me.  I admit this FA period there weren’t a ton of good options: spend more than you want or get a scrub for minimum or just above it.

that’s why I’d trade for a young QB, like Corral, just as an example.

I said what we paid Mariota was ridiculous because of the other deals that were signed… 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/2020/all/quarterback/all/

Edited by jimkelly02

3 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

Even that’s too much money for me.  I admit this FA period there weren’t a ton of good options: spend more than you want or get a scrub for minimum or just above it.

that’s why I’d trade for a young QB, like Corral, just as an example.

I said what we paid Mariota was ridiculous because of the other deals that were signed… 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/2020/all/quarterback/all/

I agree I think we gave jimmy g too much $ I’d rather stick with stiddy tbh idk why jmd went sour on stiddy so fast but whatever it is what it is 

34 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

I agree I think we gave jimmy g too much $ I’d rather stick with stiddy tbh idk why jmd went sour on stiddy so fast but whatever it is what it is 

Yeah… I think it was too much too.  Worse, we guaranteed too much year 2 money.  There’s a 18.75m cap hit to move on from him after 1 year.  
we paid him to be a 2-3 year starter.  Who was going to offer him close to what we did?

honestly, I think JMD was feeling the pressure and was willing to overpay Jimmy G to give him the best chance of saving his job.

Edited by jimkelly02

28 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

Yeah… I think it was too much too.  Worse, we guaranteed too much year 2 money.  There’s a 18.75m cap hit to move on from him after 1 year.  
we paid him to be a 2-3 year starter.  Who was going to offer him close to what we did?

honestly, I think JMD was feeling the pressure and was willing to overpay Jimmy G to give him the best chance of saving his job.

https://raiderswire.usatoday.com/2023/04/04/nfl-executive-says-raiders-downgraded-in-every-way-in-favor-of-familiarity/?utm_campaign=trueanthem&utm_medium=trueanthem&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR0HtzgxQEaDhsedja6kifET9nxcPOY9hcRgomomCIiURfQ8_Yn7IgXUFDY

yup

5 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

I suppose there’s value in having players who know your scheme. But it also shows signs of McDaniels’s inability or unwillingness to cater his scheme to the talent he has. Which another executive noted has been a problem with both McDaniels and Jon Gruden before him. 
-Maybe they should have a coach who can work with the guys they’ve got, NFL Executive”

that kinda summed it right up. 

at this point I think it’s just HUBRIS from McD and not his ability.  The Patriots offense saw some pretty widespread changes over the years and I assume he was in charge of that, so he should be capable of change.

Edited by jimkelly02

2 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Id prefer the raider coaches, to scheme around the talent they have. . . but few can do that successfully in the NFL. 
JMD needs his guy, Im just praying, his guy isnt Tom and Tom only lol. 
I think (hope) JMD had a big roll for Waller in the O, and losing him mid season hurt more than we know. 

Jimmy should be able to run the JMD system very efficiently. hopefully keeping the D off the field and fresh. 
More consistent QB play, with a lower top level but higher floor, could help the O significantly.

Just need to keep the opposing D honest. Whcih Jimmy has shown he can do (although I think theyll cheat in a bit, it wont be straight up stacking of the box) 

1 minute ago, jimkelly02 said:

Did we need to Guarantee year 2?  I’d you want him to be QB2 this year, whatever.  But why are we guaranteeing a 38yo QBs salary?  I doubt he was getting similar offers.

These little moves is what makes me question if they know what they are going. Hoyer is a 3rd string QB at this point. He should be a fringe/lucky to make the roster guy. He’s not an upper echelon QB2. I wouldn’t be surprise if Gabers is better. He gets this deal because he’s boys with McDaniels…. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

These little moves is what makes me question if they know what they are going. Hoyer is a 3rd string QB at this point. He should be a fringe/lucky to make the roster guy. He’s not an upper echelon QB2. I wouldn’t be surprise if Gabers is better. He gets this deal because he’s boys with McDaniels…. 

It's not about his skill and him playing games. He's valuable in the locker room. Excellent teacher and mentor for an eventual rookie QB. 

Go read the comments on Hoyer from the McCourtey's in their last Super Bowl. They credited him for understanding and breaking down McVey's offense setting them up for success in that game. Hoyer is a future coach. That's what this move is. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

Did we need to Guarantee year 2?  I’d you want him to be QB2 this year, whatever.  But why are we guaranteeing a 38yo QBs salary?  I doubt he was getting similar offers.

🤦🏽‍♂️Lol just blowing $ all these lil ex garbage pats deals add up

• Like 1

Just now, big_palooka said:

It's not about his skill and him playing games. He's valuable in the locker room. Excellent teacher and mentor for an eventual rookie QB. 

Go read the comments on Hoyer from the McCourtey's in their last Super Bowl. They credited him for understanding and breaking down McVey's offense setting them up for success in that game. Hoyer is a future coach. That's what this move is. 

Do coaches occupy roster spots?

21 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Do coaches occupy roster spots?

I never understood why teams do this… especially in the NBA. Like the Lakers brining John Salley out of 3 years of  retirement at age 35 to play 6.7min a game for 45 games. Why not just make him an assistant coach?  Is there a rule against coaches scrimmaging?

if we didn’t have the most brittle starting QB ever I honest to goodness wouldn’t care, But I think it’s widely considered likely to happen thag Jimmy G misses at least a few games this year.

can we at least release bolden from his 2.85m salary for all of 17 carries, 9 receptions on 82 offensive snaps?

im beginning to think JMD is overpaying ex-Pats to fill the lockerroom with veterans who have been bought to be loyal to him, so when the uprising happens there’s guys leadership roles to crush it.

Edited by jimkelly02

32 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

hire him as a QB coach. what's the point of having one if we have Hoyer. Hoyer should have been a minimum camp invite at best. if Gabers beat him out, then so be it