Raiders sign QB Brian Hoyer (2 years)

RaidersAreOne

1 hour ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Will he use up a roster spot?

Did they pass the 3rd QB exemption roster spot? If not, I don’t expect him to be on the roster come September. 

1 hour ago, BayRaider said:

Oh god. He’s 4th string level awful..

He’s beyond washed. Got injured immediately when put into action last season

If your paying him a few hundred thousand to come into camp and teach the offense and act as a mentor I understand that… I mean I don’t think it’s anything a coach couldn’t do… exactly what does Mick Lombardi and Bo Hardegree and now Scott Turner do for us?… 

but if we seriously think Hoyer is going to be able to enter a game any keep us in the game… or worse hold down a stretch of games if/when Jimmy G gets hurt… then we have serious problems.

so while im not mad we signed hoyer, I’m just left asking what is the point?

3 hours ago, bucksavage1 said:

There’s just some QBs who can’t be back ups in the NFL. Drew Bledsoe, Jake Plummer, Jay Cutler, Dante Culpepper, Tony Romo, Big Ben, Rivers and Newton. They would rather retire than hold a clipboard 

It’s true… a backup QB has to have a unique skillset.  They have to be capable of coming in and playing, but also to assist the QB and coaches.  I can see teams not wanting a guy like Newtown as a backup because he’s going to want to compete for the starting job when there’s isn’t a competition to be had.  You gotta be ready to play if called but also willing to chill out.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

It’s true… a backup QB has to have a unique skillset.  They have to be capable of coming in and playing, but also to assist the QB and coaches.  I can see teams not wanting a guy like Newtown as a backup because he’s going to want to compete for the starting job when there’s isn’t a competition to be had.  You gotta be ready to play if called but also willing to chill out.

Many Long time QB starters from day 1 won’t go back to being a backup. Some are humble enough to do it others aren’t. A backup QB is literally a different position. 

• Like 1

Just now, jimkelly02 said:

As much as I wanted Jones over Jimmy G, at this point I don’t see any point to trading for Mac Jones.  We can’t pay Jimmy G to sit.

I’d rather have Jimmy G than Jones. Jimmy seems more likable and a player friendly leader who has a track record of winning long term. Jones seems like a dbag 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

If your paying him a few hundred thousand to come into camp and teach the offense and act as a mentor I understand that… I mean I don’t think it’s anything a coach couldn’t do… exactly what does Mick Lombardi and Bo Hardegree and now Scott Turner do for us?… 

but if we seriously think Hoyer is going to be able to enter a game any keep us in the game… or worse hold down a stretch of games if/when Jimmy G gets hurt… then we have serious problems.

so while im not mad we signed hoyer, I’m just left asking what is the point?

I think it’s an insurance pick up. We likely get a latter round QB but they are probably unlikely to able to play if Jimmy G was to go down early in the season. Hoyer gives cover until the rookie is ready to play in that scenario.