Raiders sign QB Brian Hoyer (2 years)

RaidersAreOne

1 hour ago, Dessie said:

I think it’s an insurance pick up. We likely get a latter round QB but they are probably unlikely to able to play if Jimmy G was to go down early in the season. Hoyer gives cover until the rookie is ready to play in that scenario. 

But is Hoyer capable of going into the game?  Besides like kneeling the ball at the end of a game?  I’d rather send in a guy with a live arm with no experience then a old man whose doomed to fail.  At least the live arm has a small chance to pull it off.  That’s why I liked Minshew, he gave you a chance to win.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

But is Hoyer capable of going into the game?  Besides like kneeling the ball at the end of a game?  I’d rather send in a guy with a live arm with no experience then a old man whose doomed to fail.  At least the live arm has a small chance to pull it off.  That’s why I liked Minshew, he gave you a chance to win.

Given Hoyer knows the system, has 15 years experience I think JMD would be happy to throw Hoyer in. 

Would Minshew really sign for us after we signed Jimmy G, I doubt it. 

1 hour ago, Dessie said:

Given Hoyer knows the system, has 15 years experience I think JMD would be happy to throw Hoyer in. 

Same... This is one of my biggest issues with the FA conversation. People here act like the team can just sign anyone they want no questions asked as if the players have no options or say.

In the case of Minshew, his former OC is the HC now in Indy and he'll have a chance to start while they break in a likely rookie. Best move for him and his career.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dessie said:

I was using Minshew just as an example of a young guy who was able to come in and compete.

I think, take that back I KNOW there’s no chance of winning a game if Hoyer comes in.

i wasn’t calling for us to sign Minshew… i simple said point blank I’d prefer a young guy who can come in and sling the ball… maybe we win, maybe we lose, but we got a chance in heck.  Hoyer doesn’t give you any chance.

Edited by jimkelly02

10 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

I was using Minshew just as an example of a young guy who was able to come in and compete.

I think, take that back I KNOW there’s no chance of winning a game if Hoyer comes in.

i wasn’t calling for us to sign Minshew… i simple said point blank I’d prefer a young guy who can come in and sling the ball… maybe we win, maybe we lose, but we got a chance in heck.  Hoyer doesn’t give you any chance.

Hoyer is a cheap vet likely to be cover while we develop a rookie. It’s a sensible signing far better than giving for example Mariota $20m to be a backup.

11 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Same... This is one of my biggest issues with the FA conversation. People here act like the team can just sign anyone they want no questions asked as if the players have no options or say.

In the case of Minshew, his former OC is the HC now in Indy and he'll have a chance to start while they break in a likely rookie. Best move for him and his career.

Agreed whilst I am under whelmed by FA so far, I don’t have an issue with this type of signing. We don’t have the cap space to sign all the known names in FA. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dessie said:

Hoyer is a cheap vet likely to be cover while we develop a rookie. It’s a sensible signing far better than giving for example Mariota $20m to be a backup.

Whose paying Mariota 20m per year?  We never did.  Why are you going to the far extreme of saying we shouldn’t pay a QB2 20m… that’s a bigger cap hit them Jimmy G. Mariota signed for 5m with Philly.  Again, I never said we should spend 20m or even 5m on a QB2.  In fact I said I’d rather go with a cheap young guy.

Id prefer to trade a late round pick for a young QB or draft one in the late rounds, except there are no late round QBs I like this year. 

im not even complaining about signing Hoyer, he’s probably cheap and doesn’t preclude us from bringing other QBs in.  As I said in a previous post, I wouldn’t care if he gets paid a few 100k in camp to act as a coach+mentor and gets cut.  I’d just prefer he wasn’t the QB2.  Then again I’m not claiming to know everything either.  I just have an opinion, and it’s that if Hoyer has to go in the game due to injury, the games 95% likely to already be lost.

1 hour ago, jimkelly02 said:

Whose paying Mariota 20m per year?  We never did.  Why are you going to the far extreme of saying we shouldn’t pay a QB2 20m… that’s a bigger cap hit them Jimmy G. Mariota signed for 5m with Philly.  Again, I never said we should spend 20m or even 5m on a QB2.  In fact I said I’d rather go with a cheap young guy.

Id prefer to trade a late round pick for a young QB or draft one in the late rounds, except there are no late round QBs I like this year. 

im not even complaining about signing Hoyer, he’s probably cheap and doesn’t preclude us from bringing other QBs in.  As I said in a previous post, I wouldn’t care if he gets paid a few 100k in camp to act as a coach+mentor and gets cut.  I’d just prefer he wasn’t the QB2.  Then again I’m not claiming to know everything either.  I just have an opinion, and it’s that if Hoyer has to go in the game due to injury, the games 95% likely to already be lost.

My bad was it $13m we gave to Mariota to be backup for 2 years, crazy money. 

Saying ‘ an old man who is doomed to fail’ sure sounds like complaining about Hoyer to me. 

Edited by Dessie

1 hour ago, Rolni said:

Grudock gave Mariota a 2yr20m deal a few years back. I think Dessie reffered to that 

Yeah… and he actually received 9M and 3M you know that deal was restructured and he didn’t get that.

Again, why are you going to the max and using Mariota as an example?  Because it’s the extreme.  

Im not complaining about Hoyer because I’m hoping it’s not the only Qb we bring in.   So we have to agree with every more the FO makes or just not talk about it?  I thought we left California, didn’t think speak was limited here.

it’s not crazy with jimmy g as the QB1 to think getting a quality backup at a moderate cost is a bad idea.  I think we’ll be lucky to get 12 games out of him.

Edited by jimkelly02

2 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

Yeah… and he actually received 9M and 3M you know that deal was restructured and he didn’t get that.

Again, why are you going to the max and using Mariota as an example?  Because it’s the extreme.  

Im not complaining about Hoyer because I’m hoping it’s not the only Qb we bring in.  

I was about to say we gave mm 20 mill $?