Trojan's '23 Mock Draft [update Draft day]

Trojan

7 minutes ago, Trojan said:

I am probably wrong, but I felt like Chase Young is kinda an awkward player for the Commanders.

I mean... you might not be. 

Like clearly very high upside, also very disappointing injury wise and production.

Yes.

Then Chase has his 5th year option coming up like right after the draft, and the team is being sold. By trading him it puts that burden on the Bears who are a team with a ton of cap to just pick up the option and maybe extend and front load him and get guarantees out of the way. The second round swap part isn't too expensive and Witherspoon is a player I won't have at 16 (he'd go 11 to Lions after their trade down). Anthony Richardson could make sense too and just flip the Lions and Commanders selections, but I like Howell a lot and I feel like their defense would be good with Witherspoon. He visited the team as well so I think there is interest. I feel like if the interest the Commanders has shown to Banks, Forbes and Branch is real, and they are also looking at avoiding Chase Young money allotment questions the trade is a cheap way to get a higher graded blue chip version of what they are clearly interested in. I admit I'm almost certainly wrong on it and just piecing random stuff together in my head to make a mock that makes sense to me.

I think I just don't get doing all that to go get Witherspoon (who I do like). I think you hold out for the Bears 2nd rounder alone for Chase. 

• Like 1

It's descent as it is not my favorite draft but i wouldn't hate it.    This is the picks i would personally go with if the draft fell this way to us.

1st - Witherspoon - CB

2nd - Jaylin Hyatt - WR

3rd - Zach Harrison - Edge

But even better i would MUCH MUCH MUCH prefer that trade the Bears got for the Falcons.  That is like the perfect trade for us in what we need. If we made that trade then we would go something like this.   8 + 44  for Chase, 16, and 47     Washington gets better value from our trade and we secure a Edge with elite upside + still the same amount of picks to draft with.

16 - Brian Branch - DB

47 - Jaylin Hyatt - WR

75 - Andrew Vorhees - OG

Chase Young - Edge

Now thats a Falcons draft   I imagine Commanders would prefer it to since they get more value from the trade.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, THE DUKE said:

What the Bengals need most is another boundary CB

Clark Phillips played most of his snaps at the boundary. I liked how when he played boundary against OSU and saw JSN, he moved off his man and pursued ended up forcing a fumble instead of his team giving up a TD. Obviously I can't see how much these guys prepare and whatnot, he just stood out as a guy that sees things and prepares. Different body and he's a higher prospect kinda like Roger McCreary last year, and McCreary did pretty good adjusting to the progame regardless of body type. Like McCreary I think he sticks at boundary at the pro level, but has games where he lines up in the slot because of matchup.

4 minutes ago, FalconFan13 said:

It's descent as it is not my favorite draft but i wouldn't hate it.    This is the picks i would personally go with if the draft fell this way to us.

1st - Witherspoon - CB

2nd - Jaylin Hyatt - WR

3rd - Zach Harrison - Edge

But even better i would MUCH MUCH MUCH prefer that trade the Bears got for the Falcons.  That is like the perfect trade for us in what we need. If we made that trade then we would go something like this.   8 + 44  for Chase, 16, and 47     Washington gets better value from our trade and we secure a Edge with elite upside + still the same amount of picks to draft with.

16 - Brian Branch - DB

47 - Jaylin Hyatt - WR

75 - Andrew Vorhees - OG

Chase Young - Edge

Now thats a Falcons draft   I imagine Commanders would prefer it to since they get more value from the trade.

haha the Falcons pick is actually where I thought of the Commanders trade, but Bijan to the run game team just felt right. In my first one I had them get Skoronski and was thinking back up pick of Bijan. I just had to get him this time, especially since I try and give this Falcons FO BPA over positional value (Pitts/Hamilton last two years) and Bijan is BPA to me. This time I had Jalen Carter go before the Falcons, because I do admit that complicates BPA arguments.

30 minutes ago, Trojan said:

I really like JMS for Giants and consider it a near lock at this point. First Gates left for WAS and Feliciano to SF, then there is JMS who is working with Jeremiah Sirles who played for Daboll in Buffalo with NYG OL coach Bobby Johnson. When Schmitz meet with the Giants he aced their protection questions as that is the scheme he has been prepping for months for.

Good research, but in Pat Leonard’s own mock draft done yesterday, he mentions that the Giants would likely go CB if one of them drops. Banks is better pick for them.

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/ny-nfl-mock-draft-20230424-msxci6agr5bgrl3fhgpz5zyfwi-story.html

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Trojan said:

haha the Falcons pick is actually where I thought of the Commanders trade, but Bijan to the run game team just felt right. In my first one I had them get Skoronski and was thinking back up pick of Bijan. I just had to get him this time, especially since I try and give this Falcons FO BPA over positional value (Pitts/Hamilton last two years) and Bijan is BPA to me. This time I had Jalen Carter go before the Falcons, because I do admit that complicates BPA arguments.

Im a position value guy which for sure puts Bijan lower on my list than others.  If he is hands down BPA and other position i value more are gone then im fine taking him at 8.  But if edge, CB, DT etc.. are there better and similar value im taking them 1st.  That and we already have a top tier RB in All Gears and Patterson is a good backup so it's not a massive need at RB lol.   More a luxury pick and a nice to have with BPA if the rest of the draft before us goes to the crapper lol.   Like if it went    Young, Stroud, Carter, Anderson, Wilson, Spoon, Gonzo all before us then yeah Bijan is easily BPA there and i value RB as much as LG so im fine with him then lol.    But chase at Edge is a huge get to me with Edge being my #2 position + still getting my CB and WR thats big time.

• Like 1

1. Carolina - Bryce Young
2. Houston - Will Anderson
3. Tennessee - C.J. Stroud + DeAndre Hopkins
4. Indianapolis - Will Levis
5. Philly - Jalen Carter
6. Detroit - Devon Witherspoon
7. Pittsburgh - Paris Johnson
8. Atlanta - Nolan Smith
9. Commanders - Peter Skoronski
10. Seattle - Tyree Willson + 62 + 94
11. Arizona - Christian Gonzalez