2023 Packers Big Board #15

Packerraymond

Who is #15 on the Packers Specific Big Board?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Who is #15 on the Packers Specific Big Board?

• Calijah Kancey
    • Deonte Banks
    • Joey Porter Jr
    • Will McDonald IV
    • Michael Mayer
    • Keion White
    • Darnell Wright
    • Anton Harrison
    • Bryan Bresee
    • Darnell Washington
    • Adetomiwa Adebawore
    • Dalton Kincaid
    • Brian Branch
    • Other *Specify in Thread*

#1 Will Anderson EDGE, Alabama

#2 Jalen Carter DL, Georgia

#3 Tyree Wilson EDGE, Texas Tech

#4 Paris Johnson OT, Ohio State

#5 Christian Gonzalez CB, Oregon

#6 Lukas Van Ness EDGE, Iowa

#7 Jaxon Smith-Njigba WR, Ohio State 

#8 Quentin Johnston WR, TCU

#9 Myles Murphy EDGE, Clemson

#10 Nolan Smith EDGE, Georgia

#11 Broderick Jones OT, Georgia

#12 Devon Witherspoon CB, Illinois

#13 Peter Skoronski OL, Northwestern

#14 Bijan Robinson RB, Texas

Went corner over Kincaid, just because of positional value.  That and Porter is really good.  I'm good with either.  

And are we still really sleeping on Kancey due to lack of size?  I don't know that he couldn't be a stud in that Lowry role.  If he were 1 inch taller and 10 pounds heavier, he'd be one of the best defensive prospects in this draft.  Is it really that size that keeps pushing him down?  Or am I missing something?

7 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Went corner over Kincaid, just because of positional value.  That and Porter is really good.  I'm good with either.  

And are we still really sleeping on Kancey due to lack of size?  I don't know that he couldn't be a stud in that Lowry role.  If he were 1 inch taller and 10 pounds heavier, he'd be one of the best defensive prospects in this draft.  Is it really that size that keeps pushing him down?  Or am I missing something?

It's size

He's an interesting one because he isn't 1 inch taller and 10 pounds heavier and if he does gain the weight does he maintain what makes him special.

Aaron Donald has been exceptional, Ed Oliver has been good+ (not 9th overall good) but probably won't get a 2nd contract in BUF after playing out his 5th yr option and Mike Daniels had probably 5 impacful seasons (which is good in the NFL).  Not sure how many other good comps there are to Kancey?   How much do you want to bet on a body type outlier?

Tough call-

Interior Pressure IS vital 

He is the DL with the best interior pressure potential imo

Good to have rotational depth on DL but we have Wyatt tasked with playing the 3t.  How many snaps could he reasonably be expected to take?

Would we be better suited targeting a bigger body Bresee, Benton or Mazi Smith or even later round type to rotate with Slaton and Clark?

Unless he turns into Donald can you envision him getting a 2nd contract?  Just turned 22 in March.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Kampfgeist said:

It's size

He's an interesting one because he isn't 1 inch taller and 10 pounds heavier and if he does gain the weight does he maintain what makes him special.

Aaron Donald has been exceptional, Ed Oliver has been good+ (not 9th overall good) but probably won't get a 2nd contract in BUF after playing out his 5th yr option and Mike Daniels had probably 5 impacful seasons (which is good in the NFL).  Not sure how many other good comps there are to Kancey?   How much do you want to bet on a body type outlier?

Tough call-

Good to have rotational depth on DL but we have Wyatt tasked with playing the 3t.  How many snaps could he reasonably be expected to take?

Would we be better suited targeting a bigger body Bresee, Benton or Mazi Smith or even later round type to rotate with Slaton and Clark?

Unless he turns into Donald can you envision him getting a 2nd contract?  Just turned 22 in March.

Donald and daniels both have 32.5 inch arms. Kancey has 30 and 5/8. This is more of an issue than the height to me

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Kampfgeist said:

It's size

Tough call-

I mean, I don't care where he goes...just wondering if we are sleeping on a playmaker because of an inch and ten pounds or so.

The dude can play football at a high level.

Forget whether or not we can use him....we have two corners I'd happily take and that may be the deepest position on our team right now.

DL can be used situationally.  He could wreck a game with his pressure.  And I don't know that he can be an end in our 3 DL, one OLB set that we ran last year.

So, is he play being overlooked because of his size?

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

You didn't vote for him, ask yourself! Ha. 

He's my BPA here.

15 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

You didn't vote for him, ask yourself! Ha. 

He's my BPA here.

That's what I was doing.  I'm including myself.  I think I'm missing out on the guy purely because of one inch of height and ten pounds.  And that is probably a big mistake.

24 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Just like Robinson last time, I think that Porter Jr is simply a better player than the rest of the options.  Not sure how or if he fits what we want, but just a talent level IMO.

Having a similar discussion re Kincaid in another thread.   As you stated not sure how or if he fits what we want.   I think Porter is a fantastic CB but if we don't plan on playing extensive press man I think we'd be wasting what makes him special.   If we plan to get really aggressive and let Jaire and others do their thing he'd sky-rocket up my board.  If we play more zone or soft coverages I think we just waste his skillset

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

That's what I was doing.  I'm including myself.  I think I'm missing out on the guy purely because of one inch of height and ten pounds.  And that is probably a big mistake.

Could be a mistake.   I think I just have a problem taking a guy at 15 that may be such a situational player, maybe throughout his career.  We took Wyatt in the first round to play a situational role last year but with his size i think the expectation was his role would increase over time.   I struggle thinking Kancey will ever be more than a rotational pass-rushing DL, maybe very limited snaps.  Donald, Oliver and Daniels were all more than that so could be a risk worth taking.   Interesting guy

11 minutes ago, Kampfgeist said:

Could be a mistake.   I think I just have a problem taking a guy at 15 that may be such a situational player, maybe throughout his career.  We took Wyatt in the first round to play a situational role last year but with his size i think the expectation was his role would increase over time.   I struggle thinking Kancey will ever be more than a rotational pass-rushing DL, maybe very limited snaps.  Donald, Oliver and Daniels were all more than that so could be a risk worth taking.   Interesting guy

Wyatt played in 23% of snaps last year, with 48, 59, and 52% of snaps in the final 3 weeks.  So he did eventually work into the rotation, and handled himself pretty well.  For comparison, Kenny Clark played in 32% of snaps as a rookie, he played in over 60% of the snaps in week 2 and 3 of 2016, but otherwise was not utilized a ton as a rookie. Wyatt probably will see a jump in snap count and responsibility with the departure of Lowry and Reed.  Clark went from 32 to 70% of snaps played in year two.

25 minutes ago, Kampfgeist said:

Having a similar discussion re Kincaid in another thread.   As you stated not sure how or if he fits what we want.   I think Porter is a fantastic CB but if we don't plan on playing extensive press man I think we'd be wasting what makes him special.   If we plan to get really aggressive and let Jaire and others do their thing he'd sky-rocket up my board.  If we play more zone or soft coverages I think we just waste his skillset

I don't think we need to invest highly in a corner.  We already are paying Jaire, and Rasul.  And we just spent a first on Stokes two drafts ago, and he has been fine.  But, I think if the board is as listed, Porter is probably the best player, and you do what you have to do to make all the pieces fit.   

• Like 2

^sorry, two incomplete thoughts from me above...

If you think that Kancey eventually becomes a player that plays more than just a situational role, go ahead and draft him.  If it is just a situational player, he would certainly be knocked down the board a bit.  I feel the same way about Nolan Smith.  I think once NFL tackles get their hands on him, it is a wrap.  I don't know if you can pick a guy that isn't an every down player this early in the draft.

Comparing Porter to Kincaid, I think the issue is twofold.  First, CB is just more valuable than TE.  Second, at least in my eyes, Porter is a lot better than the next CB than any of the TEs is compared to like 5 or 6 others in this draft.  I am stuck wondering if it is best to stand firm and just let whichever TE falls to you go, or jump the board, and hope your evaluation was correct and you get the one you like the best.  

• Like 2