TABT - HuskieBear Edition

Ty21

Whoever does the talking for the Crush talk (stoner turtle from Finding Nemo) at Disney World needs a raise. I got to have a talk with him and he made a lot of not so subtle hints at me being Aquaman while not saying it since hes not a Disney guy obviously. The adults were laughing as much as the kids. Even ended the session with, "Farewell all my dudes, dudettes, and to the King of the Sea. You might want to head out before King Triton finds out youre here though,  hes pretty territorial."

Been one of my top things so far this vacation.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, CBears019 said:

I’d love to be on a jury for a serious case.  And no defense attorney would allow me to serve, but i think I’d hold the state to a high standard knowing what i know.  

Clearly you're not qualified for law then.

I joke @dll2000  lol

• Like 2

6 hours ago, CBears019 said:

I’d love to be on a jury for a serious case.  And no defense attorney would allow me to serve, but i think I’d hold the state to a high standard knowing what i know.  

I was curious how often you have to go in to testify for various cases like the one I was in for. 

My case wrapped in a day, so I’m thankful I didn’t back out and get called back at some other point for something. Dude had 3 charges: suspended license, reckless driving, evading arrest. License was cut and dry, the Secretary of State letter showed it was suspended. Reckless driving was another easy one, there’s a photo of his truck parked in the oncoming lane of a 55 mph road, cop cars had to set like a barricade to ensure cars didn’t end up crashing into it. There was a little debate on this one since the other stuff mentioned wasn’t something we could prove (him running a red light and a driver having to slam on their brakes to not hit him) as the only proof was the officer’s testimony. But I took point in the deliberation and said the picture was enough, we don’t need to stack evidence of reckless driving, we just need to check guilty or not guilty lol. 

The evading arrest part was trickiest since his body cam footage was lost. The guy fell out of his truck I guess, directly onto the top of his head, ran up the hill and got his boots stuck and laid down, where the cop got him. Cop looked like Terry crews. Cop said on the in car footage “you’re lucky I’m spry. Would’ve been bad if you’d hurt me.” We were debating whether him simply getting out of the truck was evading, if what he did after was out of confusion, and what a “lawful act” was, if merely having the police lights on was enough for running to be considered evading arrest. Everyone stated their opinion and we compromised. Took it down to the wire to get it done in a day, but I said “alright let’s just do it” and everyone agreed lol. 

I did feel a bit guilty giving the ruling. He was clearly guilty but it still felt off handing the guy his fate like that. There’s no other way it could’ve gone. His wife and kids were crying in the stands. 

the prosecutor was a cute like late 20 something. The defense attorney was historically bad. We were genuinely making fun of him in the room. He conceded that all parts lead to guilty but you have to take the handling of evidence into consideration. Maybe he had no case, maybe he was just incompetent. 

all in all, the setup was slow and boring but it was interesting to do it for once. 

1 hour ago, Ty21 said:

I was curious how often you have to go in to testify for various cases like the one I was in for. 

My case wrapped in a day, so I’m thankful I didn’t back out and get called back at some other point for something. Dude had 3 charges: suspended license, reckless driving, evading arrest. License was cut and dry, the Secretary of State letter showed it was suspended. Reckless driving was another easy one, there’s a photo of his truck parked in the oncoming lane of a 55 mph road, cop cars had to set like a barricade to ensure cars didn’t end up crashing into it. There was a little debate on this one since the other stuff mentioned wasn’t something we could prove (him running a red light and a driver having to slam on their brakes to not hit him) as the only proof was the officer’s testimony. But I took point in the deliberation and said the picture was enough, we don’t need to stack evidence of reckless driving, we just need to check guilty or not guilty lol. 

The evading arrest part was trickiest since his body cam footage was lost. The guy fell out of his truck I guess, directly onto the top of his head, ran up the hill and got his boots stuck and laid down, where the cop got him. Cop looked like Terry crews. Cop said on the in car footage “you’re lucky I’m spry. Would’ve been bad if you’d hurt me.” We were debating whether him simply getting out of the truck was evading, if what he did after was out of confusion, and what a “lawful act” was, if merely having the police lights on was enough for running to be considered evading arrest. Everyone stated their opinion and we compromised. Took it down to the wire to get it done in a day, but I said “alright let’s just do it” and everyone agreed lol. 

I did feel a bit guilty giving the ruling. He was clearly guilty but it still felt off handing the guy his fate like that. There’s no other way it could’ve gone. His wife and kids were crying in the stands. 

the prosecutor was a cute like late 20 something. The defense attorney was historically bad. We were genuinely making fun of him in the room. He conceded that all parts lead to guilty but you have to take the handling of evidence into consideration. Maybe he had no case, maybe he was just incompetent. 

all in all, the setup was slow and boring but it was interesting to do it for once. 

Something like that would never go to trial in my county lol.  Depending on the reason for his suspension, they don’t even prosecute that charge unless they cause an accident with injuries.  They would probably drop the resisting charge and plea to the reckless in exchange for fines and community service.

Cases very rarely go to trial in my county.  Almost always plead to beforehand which amounts to sweetheart deals for the defendants.  I can probably county in one hand the amount of times I’ve testified in actual trials.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CBears019 said:

Something like that would never go to trial in my county lol.  Depending on the reason for his suspension, they don’t even prosecute that charge unless they cause an accident with injuries.  They would probably drop the resisting charge and plea to the reckless in exchange for fines and community service.

Cases very rarely go to trial in my county.  Almost always plead to beforehand which amounts to sweetheart deals for the defendants.  I can probably county in one hand the amount of times I’ve testified in actual trials.  

I didn’t get to see what the sentencing was, they released us right before. Was he going to get jail time or is it more likely he was getting fined, probation, community service, etc?

22 hours ago, CBears019 said:

I think a lot of policemen feel that way.  But Attorneys and cops never get picked as far as I know.

I haven't seen that many Voir dires.  But any that I have seen.

I came close to doing a Jury trial from prosecution side 4 times and from defense side twice.

All plead out at last minute, literally day of trial.  Now I don't do that anymore.

14 hours ago, CBears019 said:

LOL

It's funny.  Cook county attorneys are blown away when they go to collar counties and find out those are prosecuted and severely at times.  But even in collar counties they never really go to Jury trial.  Only DUIs go to Jury Trials.  

Though I was super pissed going to Cook county and having to jump through a bunch of hoops and go to court twice on a speeding ticket.

Edited by dll2000

7 hours ago, Ty21 said:

I didn’t get to see what the sentencing was, they released us right before. Was he going to get jail time or is it more likely he was getting fined, probation, community service, etc?

Hard to say, it varies so much state-to-state, even county-to-county.  That’s all pretty low level stuff in my view, but your county’s prosecutors may feel differently.  My guess is he would get supervision/probation, fines, and CS, but who knows.

Early on as a detective i had a case where a guy coached an adult women’s soccer league.  He claimed to have been a physical therapist at one point.  So when his players would suffer minor injuries (rolled ankles, sprains, shin splits, etc) he would have them come over to his house for PT work and he had a whole PT room set up in his basement.  They all trusted this guy like a father figure to them.  They’d go and he tell them to disrobe completely and they would.  He’d do some massages on their injuries and would then end up sexually assaulting them.  I probably had 7 or 8 victims and was able to charge him with 3 or 4 of the cases.

He ended up pleading guilty to them….didnt spend a day in jail.  2.5 years probation and sex offender registry.  That’s it.

5 hours ago, CBears019 said:

Hard to say, it varies so much state-to-state, even county-to-county.  That’s all pretty low level stuff in my view, but your county’s prosecutors may feel differently.  My guess is he would get supervision/probation, fines, and CS, but who knows.

Early on as a detective i had a case where a guy coached an adult women’s soccer league.  He claimed to have been a physical therapist at one point.  So when his players would suffer minor injuries (rolled ankles, sprains, shin splits, etc) he would have them come over to his house for PT work and he had a whole PT room set up in his basement.  They all trusted this guy like a father figure to them.  They’d go and he tell them to disrobe completely and they would.  He’d do some massages on their injuries and would then end up sexually assaulting them.  I probably had 7 or 8 victims and was able to charge him with 3 or 4 of the cases.

He ended up pleading guilty to them….didnt spend a day in jail.  2.5 years probation and sex offender registry.  That’s it.

I couldn’t do what you do 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CBears019 said:

Disgusting.

I'd be Gary Plauche 2.0

• Like 2

For any other Fantasy Football lovers and Reddit users, the annual lottery for entry to NarFFL is now open. It's a promotion and relegation style league with over 1,500 teams competing annually. Your lottery entry is for entry to the Farm League, and you can earn promotion through the tiers over the years.

The top league is Premier League and the 144 members (including myself) of Premier League compete for a meta-championship each year called The Horn.

Each individual league is 12 teams and uses full PPR scoring. If this sounds interesting to you, you can learn more about the league and begin your entry into the lottery at www.narffl.com ! Hope to see you there!

On 8/8/2024 at 2:23 PM, CBears019 said:

yeah, it'd be a pretty big mess up to let you on a jury, no matter what the case was regarding (no offense)