1.23 - Jordan Addison, WR, USC - #3

SemperFeist

O'Connell: "He's off to a really good start. Jordan completely put his issue from the spring behind him, he put in the work throughout the summer, so that was really not something that I was particularly concerned about. But what he’s done on the grass so far is confirming a lot of the things that we expected from Jordan. He’s also done some things instinctively just playing football within the confines of our scheme, whether it’s a scramble drill – people probably saw that catch in the corner of the endzone – that’s him improving with a 12-year NFL quarterback to be in the right place at the right time."

"And he has done that on little things. He’s showing a willingness to be a blocker, he’s showing understanding of how he fits within the scheme and the rhythm and timing of the quarterback in the pass game."

"I’m really excited about him, it’s incredibly early in his process, and making sure he knows the daily goal of just having the best possible daily practice he can have, and then we roll right into the next day, and before you know it, that compounded gains start to really look like something not only he can be excited about but the confidence level of his teammates and his coaches will have in him will be really something that he’s earned."

https://vikingsterritory.com/2023/news/analysis/a-good-start?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

• Like 3

Addy: "First I just start by knowing the plays. Cause if Kirk sees that I’m on top of everything and I know where to be, then he is going to trust me down the field at the right moment. That’s where I’m right now, just making sure that he can trust me coming out of the huddle, knowing what I’m doing. I feel like it’s building, I still got a lot of work to do but I’m getting there."

“I’d say I’m definitely more comfortable now just having a couple of days of practice under my belt at this level. I made a couple of plays, so now my teammates can see what I can do. The difference at that level is pretty much every ball is going to be somewhat contested so that’s something that I’m starting to realize. I’m just creating as much separation as I can because it’s always somebody on my back.”

https://vikingsterritory.com/2023/news/analysis/dynamic-rookie?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

No real surprise, he is a great route runner and has outstanding quicks.  Hopefully that speeding incident will keep him on the straight and narrow, he has the skills all he has to do is put in the work and putting in the work does not involve breaking the law and speeding at 3 AM in the morning.  

With how the NFL is currently played his size should not be an issue at all with his route running ability and big play potential.  

• Like 1

At Thursday’s night practice, Jordan Addison looked legit. He was beating cornerbacks with ease and even making a spectacular catch as well. On Saturday, he continued his impressive training camp and created a lot of separation, including smoking starting cornerback Akayleb Evans on a comeback route. Addison made it look like he was a 10+ year vet.

https://vikingswire.usatoday.com/lists/minnesota-vikings-saturday-training-camp-practice-takeaways/?utm_campaign=trueanthem&utm_medium=trueanthem&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR2Soepn8HYEqLFX5jh7T6-uN6-tncjEpD8GYKwutEssnWJ4zSf7qqgGvTA

• Like 5

Kirko: "He's got a lot of ability. We've thrown him in basically, with all the complex run game schemes, motions, and formations and the route tree we're asking him to learn, and I think he's handled it really well. He's shown his athleticism. He's a natural catcher of the football, tracks the ball well, so I'm excited about just continuing to do more with him and get him involved. Hopefully that can take pressure off of our other guys and just make teams have to defend even more grass."

vikings.com

On 8/6/2023 at 8:05 AM, vike daddy said:

At Thursday’s night practice, Jordan Addison looked legit. He was beating cornerbacks with ease and even making a spectacular catch as well. On Saturday, he continued his impressive training camp and created a lot of separation, including smoking starting cornerback Akayleb Evans on a comeback route. Addison made it look like he was a 10+ year vet.

https://vikingswire.usatoday.com/lists/minnesota-vikings-saturday-training-camp-practice-takeaways/?utm_campaign=trueanthem&utm_medium=trueanthem&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR2Soepn8HYEqLFX5jh7T6-uN6-tncjEpD8GYKwutEssnWJ4zSf7qqgGvTA

I like Addison, loved that they drafted him but there is the reality that possibly the Vikings corners suck outside of Byron Murphy...  Not sure beating Akayleb Evans is exactly hard, he is not even a proven starter and might be just the starter by default with no other options on the team outside of Murphy.  

Still great to hear Addison is doing well!

• Like 1

O’Connell: “He’s got so much natural ability, balance, body control, speed, burst, quickness. He’s incredibly gifted catching the football, probably doesn’t get enough credit for his ability to catch and be grounded, and get yards after the catch. Ultimately, what’s he done in the run game for a guy that isn’t the biggest, his willingness to go put his hands on safeties and block in the run game has given him an all-down, every-down type of feel to go along with Justin and K.J.”

vikings.com

• Like 3

20 hours ago, vike daddy said:

O’Connell: “He’s got so much natural ability, balance, body control, speed, burst, quickness. He’s incredibly gifted catching the football, probably doesn’t get enough credit for his ability to catch and be grounded, and get yards after the catch. Ultimately, what’s he done in the run game for a guy that isn’t the biggest, his willingness to go put his hands on safeties and block in the run game has given him an all-down, every-down type of feel to go along with Justin and K.J.”

vikings.com

I just hope that his current concussion (protocol probably wouldn't have been enforced if not thought warranted), isn't a sign that his light frame will make him more subject to becoming injury-prone due to defenders pounding on him.

Teammates made sure to protect Addison in Monday's practice.

The ball found him twice on consecutive plays in the red zone. Pace and Murphy each laid off from making as much contact as they would have during a compete portion of practice.

The same occurred on the final play of the day, when Smith refrained from making contact with Addison.

https://www.vikings.com/news/week-begins-with-7-on-7-mustache-monday?fbclid=IwAR2UW0AoII2N3c9SY8NwegqBCaVUmUbLEW8kLrkH3569XxaWvHwfkPUTO4g

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Matt Verderame of Sports Illustrated listed his ten candidates for a breakout year in 2023. At the top of his list is Minnesota Vikings rookie wide receiver Jordan Addison:

"Is any rookie entering a better situation than Addison? Minnesota has the league’s best receiver in Jefferson playing across from him, and a defense that ensures the Vikings will be throwing plenty.

During my camp tour, Addison stood out as much as any first-year player. He caught every pass while running a variety of crisp routes, showing why the Vikings used their first-round pick out of USC. In short, Minnesota is thrilled with Addison’s talent and potential."

https://vikingswire.usatoday.com/2023/09/04/minnesota-vikings-jordan-addison-breakout-player-sports-illustrated/?utm_campaign=trueanthem&utm_medium=trueanthem&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR1toBo9cSsfpDZHWS2HfAjhAvGwDqks_RWtzEnZFOWPhVKXJxJLg4R3qh4

#2 was Brian Branch, Detroit.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...