Why I believe Kirk Cousins will be a New York Jet

jetskid007

1 minute ago, JetsandI said:

Think Vikings keeping two Bs and Brocnos taking Keenum will reduce $$$ on contract for Jets?

I see a vet like Bradford, Keenum or Foles going to Arizona. I think Minnesota keeps 2 of the 3 QBs they had. Denver I can see going with whatever guy is left out of Bradford, Keenum and Foles after Minnesota and Arizona choose. Leaving Cousins to us and the other teams going after one in the draft. I’ll mention that Denver will still choose a QB at 5.

Just now, ekill08x said:

I know it was brought up before but for the love of god do we need new jerseys. kelly green, metallic green helmets, old logo. new era in jets football!

Couldn't agree more.  We could potentially have a franchise QB, another $60M+ to spend in FA, and 4 picks in the top 70.  

Some sick new uni's would fire this fans base up more then 09-10 when we were making playoff runs.

The helmets with the white face masks need to be the full time helmets.  They are so sweet. 

Just now, Rockice_8 said:

Couldn't agree more.  We could potentially have a franchise QB, another $60M+ to spend in FA, and 4 picks in the top 70.  

Some sick new uni's would fire this fans base up more then 09-10 when we were making playoff runs.

The helmets with the white face masks need to be the full time helmets.  They are so sweet. 

It needs to happen! It would be so sick. Think of the marketing and revenue it would generate as well on top of the excitement. Should more than make up for the drop in ticket prices. 

2 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

Agreed - white facemask was so good

Even if you’re not pro Cousins...

Can’t deny the fact that there’s a lot of things pointing to us being his landing spot. For starters we have a QB need. 2nd we will have 110mill in cap space to spend. 3rd Bates has Shanahan ties which will intrigue Cousins. 4th Cousins will more than likely be an UFA. 5th there’s multiple reports saying we really want him.

6 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Ya all 3 of them probably aren’t leaving there teams.

Agree that Robinson will be tagged. Bell might be tagged but that doesn't mean he plays in Pittsburgh next year. Still think he goes back but its something to keep an eye on. And I think Lawrence is the least likely of the 3 to return. Dallas does not have the salary space of others. If he hits the market, that is where I see us spending a large chunk of cap.

Now none might hit FA. But if they do, I think they are a wiser investment than Kirk Cousins. I am a skeptic.

I don't know why most of you guys want to sign a above average QB for 30 mill. That is what he will get. He has won no playoff games and buckles under big games. A few years ago he had a chance to win and be in the playoffs against the Giants. Boom he loses. Look at the teams that put big money into the QB's and what do they get nothing. Flacco, nothing since signing big contact, Luck nothing, Stafford nothing, Bradford nothing. I don't want to be one of those teams that signs a huge contract and cripples your team down the road when guys like Big Cat Williams, Adams, and Maye. I would rather take a risk in the draft. 

30 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Can’t deny the fact that there’s a lot of things pointing to us being his landing spot. For starters we have a QB need. 2nd we will have 110mill in cap space to spend. 3rd Bates has Shanahan ties which will intrigue Cousins. 4th Cousins will more than likely be an UFA. 5th there’s multiple reports saying we really want him.

This is pretty much how I feel. The Jets have to solidify the QB position this off-season. We are well positioned to address it. Free Agency comes first, go after Cousins and build around him with draft picks.

I'd be trilled if one of Cousins, Rosen, Mayfield, or Darnold is QB for the Jets next season. But I'm all for getting Cousins because we are not gtd to get one of those 3 QB's. If we were in the Browns shoes, it'll be more of a debate. But we pick 6 with QB needy teams ahead of us plus teams behind us that have the ammo to trade up.

We can definitely build a contender with Cousins. We will still have enough cap space to bring in a center and a CB. This draft has a lot of OL and RB talent. 

1 minute ago, jetfuel34 said:

I don't know why most of you guys want to sign a above average QB for 30 mill. That is what he will get. He has won no playoff games and buckles under big games. A few years ago he had a chance to win and be in the playoffs against the Giants. Boom he loses. Look at the teams that put big money into the QB's and what do they get nothing. Flacco, nothing since signing big contact, Luck nothing, Stafford nothing, Bradford nothing. I don't want to be one of those teams that signs a huge contract and cripples your team down the road when guys like Big Cat Williams, Adams, and Maye. I would rather take a risk in the draft. 

He is saving all his playoffs wins for the NY Jets. 

In a more serious note, look at the Jets starting QB's since Chad left a decade ago. We've been a crippled franchise ever since Parcell's left and the hooded warrior decided he didn't want to be our coach. We can finally have an above average QB that we can build around. Give this organization some hope.

Now if you are saying you would rather get one of the rookies, I get that. If we miss out on Cousins, I'd be the first to say trade up to get Rosen. But it's not gtd we will get one the top 3 QB's.

55 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I'm still torn on how I believe it will turn out if we sign him but with how much space we have and draft capital we could make serious moves.  There are plenty of pros and cons to weigh but it been so long since we've had anything close to a franchise QB where you go into the season and know 100% this is our guy that I'm willing to take the chance.  He's a tough guy taking tons of hits this year and still played pretty well.  I still have belief the Mayfield/Rosen could be the answer but I'd take the chance on Cousins just to lock that position up for the next 7-8 years.  Here's my overall take on why he would want to come here. 

We played really well this year overall despite the record, we lost a ton of close games because we just could make the one big play or get the one big stop.  Cousins may think he is the difference between 5 wins and 8 wins alone.  He is probably right too.  I see us trending in the right direction as should he.  It could be something where Cousins thinks in year two-three Brady is likely moving on and the Jets will be primed to adding the finishing pieces to a contender with him at QB.  After signing him he has to realize (I think he does based on the notebook he has on teams) that we'll have roughly 60M+ to build around him with all type of help.  We'll also have 4 picks in the top 70.  

If he plays his game and could have elevated us to 8-8 then with all the rest of the additions then we should be a 10 win team next year.  We could realistically get (105M) Cousins (30-35M), Tru Johnson (17M), Richberg (10M), and Norwell (12M) and still have 35-40M to resign our own players (Davis, Claiborne, Ealy) before the draft.  

Archived