Why I believe Kirk Cousins will be a New York Jet

jetskid007

4 hours ago, doumeyer said:

Callaway is 5-11 197#, he has every talent you want in a WR ,except from the neck up. He played with horrible QB's at Florida, that is well documented. No way he has high school body he is very difficult to bring in the open field.. All the scouts said he should have been a first round pick if he wasn't such a head case. 

Like I stated... you called him the best WR prospect in the draft strictly on talent. Which is laughable.

Bovada has us at 2/3 odds of getting Cousins. Broncos at 7/4. Everyone else significantly less. Really means nothing. Just shows us just not us fans who think he’s going to be a Jet. Also read we plan on big time front loading his deal to price teams out.

9 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Bovada has us at 2/3 odds of getting Cousins. Broncos at 7/4. Everyone else significantly less. Really means nothing. Just shows us just not us fans who think he’s going to be a Jet. Also read we plan on big time front loading his deal to price teams out.

$60M :o

5 minutes ago, Bianconero said:

$60M :o

I’d imagine that’s an exaggeration. I could see us giving him 40-45 year 1 though. Than significantly less the rest of his contract. Smart by the Jets really. Only team that can really compete with us money wise is Cleveland.

25 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I’d imagine that’s an exaggeration. I could see us giving him 40-45 year 1 though. Than significantly less the rest of his contract. Smart by the Jets really. Only team that can really compete with us money wise is Cleveland.

It is smart, but it isn't either.  If the guaranteed money is the same from other teams, it's irrelevant if it's frontloaded or not.  I'd be more concerned about them saying "we'll give you a boatload year one" and his thought process would be that the team couldn't get him necessary talent to compete his first year (if that makes sense). 

After spending most of the off season trying figure out who I would want at QB it is my opinion that I  don’t want Cousins. Outside of a few games here and there, I haven’t really seen him play but he never really impressed me as a great QB in those games. His stats on the surface are good but not great (14th in passer eff and 19th at PFF)  His frame of 6’3 202 compares to Lamar Jackson (6’3”, 211) and people like Bill Polian are saying Jackson is too small to play QB. My biggest concern with Cousins is his lack of mobility. In this day and age you want a QB that can move and make throws outside the pocket (unless you’re Tom Brady). Cousins is not mobile.

IMO he will be a mediocre QB that might eventually get us to the playoffs but will never be the type that will take a team on his back and lead them. We all saw Mark Sanchez get to one game of the Super Bowl twice despite poor his statistical rating. We got there because of a top Offensive line and a top 3 defense. At this point we are below average on both (sorry guys you don’t build a defense with Safties)

11 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

It is smart, but it isn't either.  If the guaranteed money is the same from other teams, it's irrelevant if it's frontloaded or not.  I'd be more concerned about them saying "we'll give you a boatload year one" and his thought process would be that the team couldn't get him necessary talent to compete his first year (if that makes sense). 

Agreed. Hes at a point he wants to win. He’s going to get paid regardless. But if he takes less that allows us to get more assets for him like olineman and WRs.

1 minute ago, Rich51 said:

After spending most of the off season trying figure out who I would want at QB it is my opinion that I  don’t want Cousins. Outside of a few games here and there, I haven’t really seen him play but he never really impressed me as a great QB in those games. His stats on the surface are good but not great (14th in passer eff and 19th at PFF)  His frame of 6’3 202 compares to Lamar Jackson (6’3”, 211) and people like Bill Polian are saying Jackson is too small to play QB. My biggest concern with Cousins is his lack of mobility. In this day and age you want a QB that can move and make throws outside the pocket (unless you’re Tom Brady). Cousins is not mobile.

IMO he will be a mediocre QB that might eventually get us to the playoffs but will never be the type that will take a team on his back and lead them. We all saw Mark Sanchez get to one game of the Super Bowl twice despite poor his statistical rating. We got there because of a top Offensive line and a top 3 defense. At this point we are below average on both (sorry guys you don’t build a defense with Safties)

I suggest you watch more of him than. He’s actually pretty mobile. Not a running QB by any means, but just as mobile as say Rodgers. He has put up very good stats the last few years, and that’s been with a revolving door on the OLine, RB and WR positions.

8 minutes ago, GangGreen420 said:

He ain’t taking less to come to the Jets. Pretty much the entire reason for him coming here is we can pay him the most.

That’s not true at all. While yes we have cap space... we offer a lot more than that.

1st. We have cap space to address other areas than just signing him. There’s no reason we can’t bring in another 4+ players in FA that can big time help this roster. Us and Cleveland really only offer this.

2nd. We have valuable draft picks to help this roster as well. 4 picks in the top 70 I believe.

3rd. We run a system he’s familiar with. We have an OC he’s familiar with in Bates. No team in the mix for him offers that.

4th. We have a market for him to make more money than just playing football.

13 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

That’s not true at all. While yes we have cap space... we offer a lot more than that.

1st. We have cap space to address other areas than just signing him. There’s no reason we can’t bring in another 4+ players in FA that can big time help this roster. Us and Cleveland really only offer this.

2nd. We have valuable draft picks to help this roster as well. 4 picks in the top 70 I believe.

3rd. We run a system he’s familiar with. We have an OC he’s familiar with in Bates. No team in the mix for him offers that.

4th. We have a market for him to make more money than just playing football.

The primary reason we hold any advantage whatsoever is the money. Don’t try and spin it into something it’s not.

30 minutes ago, GangGreen420 said:

The primary reason we hold any advantage whatsoever is the money. Don’t try and spin it into something it’s not.

So you think the other things I mentioned don’t help us at all? That it’s only money? If that’s true. That’s a very  cynical view of the situation and not looking at the whole picture. Fact is, you just don’t like Cousins. Which is ok. But don’t push to the side other aspects that intrigue him to come here.

8 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

So you think the other things I mentioned don’t help us at all? That it’s only money? If that’s true. That’s a very  cynical view of the situation and not looking at the whole picture. Fact is, you just don’t like Cousins. Which is ok. But don’t push to the side other aspects that intrigue him to come here.

In the big picture, no it means very very little compared to the money we offer him. Every team has a draft this year. I don’t think the fact that we have draft picks is really a selling point. You got a crystal ball that tells you we are gonna hit on those picks while the other teams miss? How do you know he wants to make more money outside of football? What if he’d rather not deal with the NY media? It could actually be a negative for all we know. Bates might be intriguing to him, but again that’s not going to trump dollars.The main selling point we have is the money. Period.

Archived