Why I believe Kirk Cousins will be a New York Jet

jetskid007

11 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

I think a legit question yet people against Cousins have to ask themselves is this... why would FAs want to come here on offense with us not having a QB or really any weapons on offense? Why would Jensen sign here? Richburg, Norwell, AR15, Graham, etc? Getting Cousins is what will help us entice other FAs to come here. Otherwise I think it will be a big struggle for us to use our cap space in a good way to build this team.

The answer is simple...straight cash homey. 

18 minutes ago, xenajets said:

The answer is simple...straight cash homey. 

And that will work for maybe some players. But some want to win. It’s not like they won’t get paid by other teams. We could offer more but get snubbed. Adding Cousins will help get other pieces. Without Cousins... I think it will be hard to get pieces regardless of money.

1 minute ago, Bobby816 said:

And that will work for maybe some players. But some want to win. It’s not like they won’t get paid by other teams. We could offer more but get snubbed. Adding Cousins will help get other pieces. Without Cousins... I think it will be hard to get pieces regardless of money.

I know it certainly will be easier with kirk but money talks and a lot of these guys will sign two more good contracts. This one will be money driven and the next (when they hit 29/30) will be about getting a ring. 

Im on the Cousins train don’t get me wrong but we can certainly bring in several quality players this year without him and I’d be more than happy spending an extra 2/3 million if it means securing the best player available. 

8 minutes ago, xenajets said:

I know it certainly will be easier with kirk but money talks and a lot of these guys will sign two more good contracts. This one will be money driven and the next (when they hit 29/30) will be about getting a ring. 

Im on the Cousins train don’t get me wrong but we can certainly bring in several quality players this year without him and I’d be more than happy spending an extra 2/3 million if it means securing the best player available. 

We can bring in guys that will help the roster but I don’t think we can really attract tier 1 players without a QB. Especially on offense. And with 110 to spend their should be a couple tier 1 players atleast we should be getting. I’m not saying it’s Cousins or bust. I’m saying I won’t be surprised if it’s incredibly hard for us to get FAs here if we don’t get him. 

5 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

We can bring in guys that will help the roster but I don’t think we can really attract tier 1 players without a QB. Especially on offense. And with 110 to spend their should be a couple tier 1 players atleast we should be getting. I’m not saying it’s Cousins or bust. I’m saying I won’t be surprised if it’s incredibly hard for us to get FAs here if we don’t get him. 

I think we can attract tier 1 players, but I don't think we can attract a guy like AR15. 

2 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

I think we can attract tier 1 players, but I don't think we can attract a guy like AR15. 

Landry either. And I don’t see guys like Jensen or Richburg wanting to Center a team with no QB. Same goes for Norwell at OG.

Don't know if we sign Kirk that he'll be great or anything but why do people want to overspend on other players and not overspend on a QB the most important position?  In a perfect world Mayfield drops to us and is the next Brees/Wilson and we go nuts hitting on all our big FA's like JAC and NYG did recently making a sustained run with a young QB.  There is risk in that approach though because of the young QB.  Just depends on what type of risk people are willing to take.  Play it safe with Cousins and add talent around him via the draft and what's left in FA or land a QB and go nuts in FA surrounding him with talent.

Overspending on Kyle Fuller or A-Rob to lure them here over better situations is great but until we have a QB they aren't moving the needle enough.

It's all about the QB.  If we miss on Kirk we better secure one of the top QB's in the draft Rosen, Darnold, Mayfeld, Jackson or it won't matter who the WR's or LG's are.  You can spend 30M on Cousins or 30M on Fuller and A-Rob.  

I guess would you rather have Cousins and (Edmunds or Jackson) or Mayfield, Fuller and Landry?  Unless Mayfield plays at Cousins level or better you probably get more bang for your buck with the better QB.

48 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

Don't know if we sign Kirk that he'll be great or anything but why do people want to overspend on other players and not overspend on a QB the most important position?  In a perfect world Mayfield drops to us and is the next Brees/Wilson and we go nuts hitting on all our big FA's like JAC and NYG did recently making a sustained run with a young QB.  There is risk in that approach though because of the young QB.  Just depends on what type of risk people are willing to take.  Play it safe with Cousins and add talent around him via the draft and what's left in FA or land a QB and go nuts in FA surrounding him with talent.

Overspending on Kyle Fuller or A-Rob to lure them here over better situations is great but until we have a QB they aren't moving the needle enough.

It's all about the QB.  If we miss on Kirk we better secure one of the top QB's in the draft Rosen, Darnold, Mayfeld, Jackson or it won't matter who the WR's or LG's are.  You can spend 30M on Cousins or 30M on Fuller and A-Rob.  

I guess would you rather have Cousins and (Edmunds or Jackson) or Mayfield, Fuller and Landry?  Unless Mayfield plays at Cousins level or better you probably get more bang for your buck with the better QB.

Exactly. Most don’t want Cousins bc of price. But apparently they think we wouldn’t have to overpay any other FA which just isn’t true. Like you stated... if we are going to overpay make it at QB. Not a bunch of tier 2 players.

47 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

No surprise here. It’s going through come down to us convincing him that we will build a strong team around him to decide. Not money. We also have Bates which could only help.

There are several teams that need a QB, one of those  that is a dark horse is the Cards, they have cap problems, Denver has the fifth overall pick, so they can either go for one of the young QB who drops to fifth or sign Cousins. There is a slight chance there might not be a bidding war for him, if three or four QB's go in the top five picks. I would say the real worry is that the Colts might trade that # 3 pick. The Colts are the key to whom will take.

A blank check huh? That reeks of desperation.. but I guess we should embrace that now.. lol

I was having a dicussion with a buddy who’s a skins fan last night. He was happy they aren’t paying Kirk but then the Alex Smith thing happened, so he’s miserable. His big reason for not wanting Cousins is he “can’t win big games”  which I figured was the result of a few heart breaks. I remember watching him fail to beat the Giants to make the playoffs two years ago. Then he told me to look up his prmetime stats... he’s 0-8 in prime time (with pedestrian numbers) and “can’t win big games”.. couple that with his overall record, even worse record against winning teams, and stats in the Meadowlands.... THATS why I don’t want to pay Cousins. You can come at me with the team sport and “Redskins incompetence/injuries” all day, but the Jets are just as incompetent a franchise. I don’t know how that doesn’t alarm some of you at all. 

At this point I’m just hoping he takes a little more than Jimmy G (who started WINNING games on a miserable 49ers roster) or he actually values winning as much as he says and finds a way to the Vikings/Jags/Broncos. Hopefully he chooses a destination a few days into free agency rather than taking over a week. That’d be miserable but hes going to take his time.

Archived