Why I believe Kirk Cousins will be a New York Jet

jetskid007

Just now, GangGreen420 said:

In the big picture, no it means very very little compared to the money we offer him. Every team has a draft this year. I don’t think the fact that we have draft picks is really a selling point. You got a crystal ball that tells you we are gonna hit on those picks while the other teams miss? How do you know he wants to make more money outside of football? What if he’d rather not deal with the NY media? It could actually be a negative for all we know. Bates might be intriguing to him, but again that’s not going to trump dollars.The main selling point we have is the money. Period.

Every team in on him can offer money. So my point is that we do have other assets to offer him.

3 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Every team in on him can offer money. So my point is that we do have other assets to offer him.

No, not every team can offer him as much money as us.

I don’t see other teams lining up to give him fully guaranteed contracts. If he comes here he’s chasing the money, don’t fool yourself.

2 minutes ago, GangGreen420 said:

No, not every team can offer him as much money as us.

Yes they can with cuts. Us and Cleveland are the only teams that don’t have to sacrifice a lot in cap casualties to get him. But teams like Denver and Minnesota for instance can create space for him. But for them it doesn’t make sense. For example... Denver can cut DThomas, Sanders and Talib... but then why would Cousins go there. Minnesota can let all 3 QBs walk and have enough space without cutting anyone. But then only have 1 QB. These are just examples. Like I stated every team in on him will offer him money. But I honestly think Cousins has a desire to win where he goes as well, so money won’t be everything.

On 2/19/2018 at 1:02 PM, GangGreen420 said:

A blank check huh? That reeks of desperation.. but I guess we should embrace that now.. lol

I was having a dicussion with a buddy who’s a skins fan last night. He was happy they aren’t paying Kirk but then the Alex Smith thing happened, so he’s miserable. His big reason for not wanting Cousins is he “can’t win big games”  which I figured was the result of a few heart breaks. I remember watching him fail to beat the Giants to make the playoffs two years ago. Then he told me to look up his prmetime stats... he’s 0-8 in prime time (with pedestrian numbers) and “can’t win big games”.. couple that with his overall record, even worse record against winning teams, and stats in the Meadowlands.... THATS why I don’t want to pay Cousins. You can come at me with the team sport and “Redskins incompetence/injuries” all day, but the Jets are just as incompetent a franchise. I don’t know how that doesn’t alarm some of you at all. 

At this point I’m just hoping he takes a little more than Jimmy G (who started WINNING games on a miserable 49ers roster) or he actually values winning as much as he says and finds a way to the Vikings/Jags/Broncos. Hopefully he chooses a destination a few days into free agency rather than taking over a week. That’d be miserable but hes going to take his time.

I'm pretty sure the redskins beat the raiders in prime time last year. 

https://wtop.com/washington-redskins/2017/09/cousins-dominant-defense-lead-redskins-prime-time-win/slide/1/

29 minutes ago, Colt45fool said:

I'm pretty sure the redskins beat the raiders in prime time last year. 

https://wtop.com/washington-redskins/2017/09/cousins-dominant-defense-lead-redskins-prime-time-win/slide/1/

Yeah I think this article was before.

https://www.google.com/amp/ftw.usatoday.com/2017/10/nfl-redskins-eagles-monday-night-football-kirk-cousins/amp

Bravo, monkey is off his back

1 minute ago, GangGreen420 said:

Yeah, I am well aware of his MNF failure.  Now, NY post said Jets could pay Cousins 60m on first year.  Well, at least he can play consistently to complete the contract.  Jimmy G, on other hand, is a high high risk as 49ers could waste at least 37m on first year if he flunks.  7 freaking started games?

12 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

Yeah, I am well aware of his MNF failure.  Now, NY post said Jets could pay Cousins 60m on first year.  Well, at least he can play consistently to complete the contract.  Jimmy G, on other hand, is a high high risk as 49ers could waste at least 37m on first year if he flunks.  7 freaking started games?

http://www.espn.com/blog/san-francisco-49ers/post/_/id/29986/by-the-numbers-jimmy-garoppolo-made-49ers-better-at-everything

While I agree he got overpaid for the sample size, he seems like a franchise changing guy. I just don’t see that from Cousins.

24 minutes ago, GangGreen420 said:

http://www.espn.com/blog/san-francisco-49ers/post/_/id/29986/by-the-numbers-jimmy-garoppolo-made-49ers-better-at-everything

While I agree he got overpaid for the sample size, he seems like a franchise changing guy. I just don’t see that from Cousins.

Jimmy Gs ceiling might be higher than Cousins... but he’s a WAY bigger risk as well.

29 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Jimmy Gs ceiling might be higher than Cousins... but he’s a WAY bigger risk as well.

What is McCarron's ceiling?  He fits in Maccagnan's qb profile.  Macc tried to trade for him and Cousins in the past so now both are free agents.  

9 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

What is McCarron's ceiling?  He fits in Maccagnan's qb profile.  Macc tried to trade for him and Cousins in the past so now both are free agents.  

We actually turned down there offer to us this last season. Not sure what they wanted though. I’d say McCarron has the lowest season of the 3. He’s played even less than Jimmy G. He has the highest “Glennon” factor.

8 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

We actually turned down there offer to us this last season. Not sure what they wanted though. I’d say McCarron has the lowest season of the 3. He’s played even less than Jimmy G. He has the highest “Glennon” factor.

I was hoping for another Matt Schaub, not Mike Glennon.

21 hours ago, Rich51 said:

After spending most of the off season trying figure out who I would want at QB it is my opinion that I  don’t want Cousins. Outside of a few games here and there, I haven’t really seen him play but he never really impressed me as a great QB in those games. His stats on the surface are good but not great (14th in passer eff and 19th at PFF)  His frame of 6’3 202 compares to Lamar Jackson (6’3”, 211) and people like Bill Polian are saying Jackson is too small to play QB. My biggest concern with Cousins is his lack of mobility. In this day and age you want a QB that can move and make throws outside the pocket (unless you’re Tom Brady). Cousins is not mobile.

IMO he will be a mediocre QB that might eventually get us to the playoffs but will never be the type that will take a team on his back and lead them. We all saw Mark Sanchez get to one game of the Super Bowl twice despite poor his statistical rating. We got there because of a top Offensive line and a top 3 defense. At this point we are below average on both (sorry guys you don’t build a defense with Safties)

Thought I'd venture in here and see what Jets fans are saying about Kirk. I'm a Skins fan and a Cousins fan... I'm more biased toward the latter. Kirk can be mobile. Gruden simply didn't many QB options. He was busy calling fades to unproven rookies in the red zone (ouch!). The last three years, Kirk has run in 13 TDs. Each year, his rushing yards have increased too. All I'm saying is he's fully capable... and I've yet to hear anyone say he's slow.

Skins' fans loved Cousins. Best/biggest poll I saw was 86% would be in favor of a long-term deal. Of course, you get your vocal minority that trash him. Many of these were RG3 clingers that wouldn't show Kirk love if he threw for 5K and 40 TDs. The claim that he's a pickle machine is unfounded. Early on, sure. But the past few years, as a regular starter, not at all. He's had plenty of comeback wins... that's a google click away.  He's a good dude... the type of guy you'd want your daughter to bring home. He's savvy with the media. And he's a student of his craft. He does everything he can to get better. He's durable and gets the ball out of his hands quickly... he can make tight window throws and has nice touch. Sure, he's a head scratcher throw here and there. But, like any QB, constantly playing from behind puts you in more situations to make these types of throws.

This past year, while statistically not his best year, was his most impressive year. Injuries absolutely plagued the Skins... Thompson was our top rusher and receiver (not good) until he went down, Pryor was a bust - couldn't catch the ball, apparently Doctson is raw - dropped a great TD pass that would have beaten the Chiefs, Jordan Reed hurt most of the year yet again, no run game yet again, he literally met a guard before a game we had so many injured linemen. And, again (running theme), our defense sucked. So Kirk did what he could and relied on guys like Crowder, Grant, Vernon Davis, Kapri Bibbs. The Chiefs and Saints games were wins if Doctson catches a TD and (against the Saints) Davis OR Perrine catch 1st down passes that hit them square in the hands. In short, he's been surrounded with mediocre receivers, a good offensive-minded coach, a mediocre run game, and a mediocre defense. IMO, he has 5,000 and 30 TDs in him if he has two of those three things (excluding the coach). Cousins can throw the deep ball (a myth he can't) too. The Skins simply didn't have a reliable deep ball threat this year. When they did, in the past, his ave/pass was near tops in the league.

I saw the $60 million/year one rumor floated yesterday. There are way too many fans that 1) can't comprehend QB contracts because of the sheer amounts; and 2) have no idea what a good/bad contract is in terms of structure - even I'm still educating myself. But if $60 million/year one hurts you for one year, but helps your cap figures there out, it's a great deal. The Jets aren't winning the SB next year, even with Cousins. So why not contend for a playoff spot next year... then more after that? Personally, I'd love to have Cousins... trade down from 6 (so much value to be had if a QB is available)... get a burner in the draft or via free agency (Robinson?).

Archived