Why I believe Kirk Cousins will be a New York Jet

jetskid007

1 hour ago, Skinsin2013 said:

Thought I'd venture in here and see what Jets fans are saying about Kirk. I'm a Skins fan and a Cousins fan... I'm more biased toward the latter. Kirk can be mobile. Gruden simply didn't many QB options. He was busy calling fades to unproven rookies in the red zone (ouch!). The last three years, Kirk has run in 13 TDs. Each year, his rushing yards have increased too. All I'm saying is he's fully capable... and I've yet to hear anyone say he's slow.

Skins' fans loved Cousins. Best/biggest poll I saw was 86% would be in favor of a long-term deal. Of course, you get your vocal minority that trash him. Many of these were RG3 clingers that wouldn't show Kirk love if he threw for 5K and 40 TDs. The claim that he's a pickle machine is unfounded. Early on, sure. But the past few years, as a regular starter, not at all. He's had plenty of comeback wins... that's a google click away.  He's a good dude... the type of guy you'd want your daughter to bring home. He's savvy with the media. And he's a student of his craft. He does everything he can to get better. He's durable and gets the ball out of his hands quickly... he can make tight window throws and has nice touch. Sure, he's a head scratcher throw here and there. But, like any QB, constantly playing from behind puts you in more situations to make these types of throws.

This past year, while statistically not his best year, was his most impressive year. Injuries absolutely plagued the Skins... Thompson was our top rusher and receiver (not good) until he went down, Pryor was a bust - couldn't catch the ball, apparently Doctson is raw - dropped a great TD pass that would have beaten the Chiefs, Jordan Reed hurt most of the year yet again, no run game yet again, he literally met a guard before a game we had so many injured linemen. And, again (running theme), our defense sucked. So Kirk did what he could and relied on guys like Crowder, Grant, Vernon Davis, Kapri Bibbs. The Chiefs and Saints games were wins if Doctson catches a TD and (against the Saints) Davis OR Perrine catch 1st down passes that hit them square in the hands. In short, he's been surrounded with mediocre receivers, a good offensive-minded coach, a mediocre run game, and a mediocre defense. IMO, he has 5,000 and 30 TDs in him if he has two of those three things (excluding the coach). Cousins can throw the deep ball (a myth he can't) too. The Skins simply didn't have a reliable deep ball threat this year. When they did, in the past, his ave/pass was near tops in the league.

I saw the $60 million/year one rumor floated yesterday. There are way too many fans that 1) can't comprehend QB contracts because of the sheer amounts; and 2) have no idea what a good/bad contract is in terms of structure - even I'm still educating myself. But if $60 million/year one hurts you for one year, but helps your cap figures there out, it's a great deal. The Jets aren't winning the SB next year, even with Cousins. So why not contend for a playoff spot next year... then more after that? Personally, I'd love to have Cousins... trade down from 6 (so much value to be had if a QB is available)... get a burner in the draft or via free agency (Robinson?).

I think you hit the nail on the head with some not understanding the market and completely how his contract can be worked. Most onnhere against us signing him say it’s bc if money. And that why are we making him the highest paid QBs when he’s not the best QBs. Not fully understanding that too qb me will be getting pay days during his contract to make him average out over the course of the deal. FA QBs don’t hit the market like this. So yes you have to overpay to get them. And that goes for FAs at any position. Hence why drafting is so important. The jets have been arguably the worst drafting team the last decade. So this is what we have to do to get a QB to get us on track. 

I can't believe the Redskins are still considering tagging Cousins. Talk about harassment. I mean...leave the man alone. Along with filing a grievance, if I am Cousins, I would file a restraining order. It's like a High School breakup. Kind of crazy Redskins fans are still talking about trading Cousins. You can't make this up.

Free Agency is around the corner and the Jets are still the favorites to land Cousins. Good times ahead my friends. Good times.

20 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

I can't believe the Redskins are still considering tagging Cousins. Talk about harassment. I mean...leave the man alone. Along with filing a grievance, if I am Cousins, I would file a restraining order. It's like a High School breakup. Kind of crazy Redskins fans are still talking about trading Cousins. You can't make this up.

Free Agency is around the corner and the Jets are still the favorites to land Cousins. Good times ahead my friends. Good times.

Media keeps talking about this ****.  Not sure if Redskins actually consider to tag him.  Franchise Tag topic is underway so good luck to Cousins.  That is 2 weeks to worry. Oh man!

1 minute ago, JetsandI said:

Media keeps talking about this ****.  Not sure if Redskins actually consider to tag him.  Franchise Tag topic is underway so good luck to Cousins.  That is 2 weeks to worry. Oh man!

Maybe it's just media hype and Redskins management is not considering it. But their fans are still talking about it.

23 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

Ya the players union should be able to win his case easily if tagged and he files a grievance like he will. Bc if that alone and cousins making that clear... I can’t see them tagging him. 

14 hours ago, Skinsin2013 said:

Thought I'd venture in here and see what Jets fans are saying about Kirk. I'm a Skins fan and a Cousins fan... I'm more biased toward the latter. Kirk can be mobile. Gruden simply didn't many QB options. He was busy calling fades to unproven rookies in the red zone (ouch!). The last three years, Kirk has run in 13 TDs. Each year, his rushing yards have increased too. All I'm saying is he's fully capable... and I've yet to hear anyone say he's slow.

Skins' fans loved Cousins. Best/biggest poll I saw was 86% would be in favor of a long-term deal. Of course, you get your vocal minority that trash him. Many of these were RG3 clingers that wouldn't show Kirk love if he threw for 5K and 40 TDs. The claim that he's a pickle machine is unfounded. Early on, sure. But the past few years, as a regular starter, not at all. He's had plenty of comeback wins... that's a google click away.  He's a good dude... the type of guy you'd want your daughter to bring home. He's savvy with the media. And he's a student of his craft. He does everything he can to get better. He's durable and gets the ball out of his hands quickly... he can make tight window throws and has nice touch. Sure, he's a head scratcher throw here and there. But, like any QB, constantly playing from behind puts you in more situations to make these types of throws.

This past year, while statistically not his best year, was his most impressive year. Injuries absolutely plagued the Skins... Thompson was our top rusher and receiver (not good) until he went down, Pryor was a bust - couldn't catch the ball, apparently Doctson is raw - dropped a great TD pass that would have beaten the Chiefs, Jordan Reed hurt most of the year yet again, no run game yet again, he literally met a guard before a game we had so many injured linemen. And, again (running theme), our defense sucked. So Kirk did what he could and relied on guys like Crowder, Grant, Vernon Davis, Kapri Bibbs. The Chiefs and Saints games were wins if Doctson catches a TD and (against the Saints) Davis OR Perrine catch 1st down passes that hit them square in the hands. In short, he's been surrounded with mediocre receivers, a good offensive-minded coach, a mediocre run game, and a mediocre defense. IMO, he has 5,000 and 30 TDs in him if he has two of those three things (excluding the coach). Cousins can throw the deep ball (a myth he can't) too. The Skins simply didn't have a reliable deep ball threat this year. When they did, in the past, his ave/pass was near tops in the league.

I saw the $60 million/year one rumor floated yesterday. There are way too many fans that 1) can't comprehend QB contracts because of the sheer amounts; and 2) have no idea what a good/bad contract is in terms of structure - even I'm still educating myself. But if $60 million/year one hurts you for one year, but helps your cap figures there out, it's a great deal. The Jets aren't winning the SB next year, even with Cousins. So why not contend for a playoff spot next year... then more after that? Personally, I'd love to have Cousins... trade down from 6 (so much value to be had if a QB is available)... get a burner in the draft or via free agency (Robinson?).

Contract structure is the best part of a Cousins deal, I don't believe it will be $60M year 1 but if it is I'm certainly fine with that. The top 12 QB all take up 12% or more of their teams cap, years 3-6 of a Cousins deal would be 8-12%. In short, there is no reason the Jets can't sign talent while he is paid so little, not to mention if the contract is fully guaranteed they have an incredibly valuable asset to trade in the event they want to move on. A team would easily give up a 1st Round pick for Cousins on a 3 or 4 year deal deal averaging $23M or so, especially while all the top QB's will be getting $35M+ in those years.

I'll start this out by saying that I am not really in the Cousins camp, but one thing about the entire Cousins discussion has been bugging me.  That is how every expert says that if Cousins wants to win Denver is a better spot than the Jets.  I just don't think that is the case.  Maybe if he wants to win year 1, but over the course of a 5 year contract it could certainly be argued that the Jets are in a better position to build a long term winner.  

Lets look at the Bronco's core palyers.  Von Miller.... clearly a transcendent player over his career, but only 10 sacks last year (which i would still kill for), and turns 29 next month.  Next DT and Emmanuel Sanders..... both had a down year last year in part due to QB play, but they are also aging WR's.  DT doesn't look like the physically dominating force that he used to be, he is basically a possession receiver now, Sanders turns 31 next month, DT turns 31 during the season.  Chris Harris Jr.  still a good player but not the dominant shut down corner he had been.  He wasn't even the best CB on the team as Talib had a better year.  Harris was PFF's 29th rated CB Talib was 15th.  Having 2 top 30 corners makes for a formidable defense.  As they are going to have to cut Talib to sign Cousins going down to 1 barely top 30 CB is quite a hit.  CJ Anderson is probably being cut.  Shane Ray is still young but has a real hard time staying on the field.  Same goes for Derek Wolfe who has had some serious injuries.  After cutting Anderson they are left with Booker who has been a let down even when on the field.

With all that said the Bronco's biggest obstacle in being a winner with Cousins is their cap.  Elway is constantly against the cap, and after signing Cousins for 30 mill per and cutting Talib and Anderson.... their best RB and best CB from last years team which was known for defense and running...... they would be left with 11 mill in cap and some holes to fill, and a draft class to sign, with an aging roster.

I'm not saying we are the #1 location.  The Vikings are the tailor made landing spot for Cousins, but I'd put us probably in 2nd place out of the 3 teams that I think could show interest.  1. Vikings 2. Jets  3. Broncos.

If were actually going going to do this, I hope we go the front loaded 60M in year one route honestly. Get that cap hit as low as possible in the latter years.

I don’t remember who it was but they were saying on a radio show if Kirk is offered a fully guaranteed contract by the Jets (however likely or unlikely that is) he would probably feel pressure from the NFLPA or whomever to take it because of the impact of precedent. 

54 minutes ago, rampantjet said:

I'll start this out by saying that I am not really in the Cousins camp, but one thing about the entire Cousins discussion has been bugging me.  That is how every expert says that if Cousins wants to win Denver is a better spot than the Jets.  I just don't think that is the case.  Maybe if he wants to win year 1, but over the course of a 5 year contract it could certainly be argued that the Jets are in a better position to build a long term winner.  

Lets look at the Bronco's core palyers.  Von Miller.... clearly a transcendent player over his career, but only 10 sacks last year (which i would still kill for), and turns 29 next month.  Next DT and Emmanuel Sanders..... both had a down year last year in part due to QB play, but they are also aging WR's.  DT doesn't look like the physically dominating force that he used to be, he is basically a possession receiver now, Sanders turns 31 next month, DT turns 31 during the season.  Chris Harris Jr.  still a good player but not the dominant shut down corner he had been.  He wasn't even the best CB on the team as Talib had a better year.  Harris was PFF's 29th rated CB Talib was 15th.  Having 2 top 30 corners makes for a formidable defense.  As they are going to have to cut Talib to sign Cousins going down to 1 barely top 30 CB is quite a hit.  CJ Anderson is probably being cut.  Shane Ray is still young but has a real hard time staying on the field.  Same goes for Derek Wolfe who has had some serious injuries.  After cutting Anderson they are left with Booker who has been a let down even when on the field.

With all that said the Bronco's biggest obstacle in being a winner with Cousins is their cap.  Elway is constantly against the cap, and after signing Cousins for 30 mill per and cutting Talib and Anderson.... their best RB and best CB from last years team which was known for defense and running...... they would be left with 11 mill in cap and some holes to fill, and a draft class to sign, with an aging roster.

I'm not saying we are the #1 location.  The Vikings are the tailor made landing spot for Cousins, but I'd put us probably in 2nd place out of the 3 teams that I think could show interest.  1. Vikings 2. Jets  3. Broncos.

Great post. Never seen it broken down this way. At the moment, Denver with Cousins minus Talib are not winning the Super Bowl. And they won't be able to improve on free agency if they get Cousins. If the goal is to win a Super Bowl, when you put it that way, Denver is the worse situation. I agree with you.  

1 hour ago, rampantjet said:

I agree with you on most points. Few things I’ll add. Denver is a better ran organization than us. A stable franchise might be a factor in his decision for all we know. I also don’t think our roster even with just a couple more additions is enough to get Cousins here. We can’t promise him anything in the draft, bc we don’t know who will be available. But I do feel we will have to make several additions to entice him. Bc fact is, is our roster is the worst of all teams interested. But we also have the cap space and picks to improve that. Can we convince him that we can make hus supporting Cast good enough to make a playoff push will be the thing that we will have to do. We have to make a splash in FA besides just him in other words to get him here I think.

Will we ever know what is on John Elway"s, mind? Or does he want a young QB in his own image? All I hear or read is that Elway is going to push hard to get Cousins, how to we know that is true, I never heard him say "I am going hard for Cousins". All we can do is sit and wait, and we will all know next month what he really wants.

3 hours ago, doumeyer said:

Will we ever know what is on John Elway"s, mind? Or does he want a young QB in his own image? All I hear or read is that Elway is going to push hard to get Cousins, how to we know that is true, I never heard him say "I am going hard for Cousins". All we can do is sit and wait, and we will all know next month what he really wants.

Denver’s situation is different than ours bc they don’t have the money. So if the media asks him if he’s going hard after Cousins and he says yes. The very next question will be who are you cutting to create that cap space. And that’s not a question guys in charge of personnel like to get asked. So I do think they want Cousins. But I don’t think they will be active in the media about it bc people will have to get cut to make it a possibility.

Archived