Why I believe Kirk Cousins will be a New York Jet

jetskid007

29 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

I'd probably break my TV if the top 3 QB's are gone by 5.

The reality is this fan base will be extremely happy if we trade up for a QB. We would all get behind that QB (unless it's Allen lol). But if you are a Rosen fan and we trade up for Mayfield or Darnold, or viceversa, we would all just switch our allegiance.

Very true statement, I agree

7 minutes ago, Bianconero said:

If we draft Mayfield, then we have to bring McCown back

Manziel was on Joe Thomas' podcast this week and detailed how much McCown helped him and that in his comeback he is using what Josh taught him as a blueprint

That would be fine with me as well.  McCown is the perfect bar setter for a young QB.  Good enough to start and be mediocre but a great teammate that will be happy to be a backup and teach when the young QB hopefully successfully outplays him in preseason.

2 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

That would be fine with me as well.  McCown is the perfect bar setter for a young QB.  Good enough to start and be mediocre but a great teammate that will be happy to be a backup and teach when the young QB hopefully successfully outplays him in preseason.

That is the perfect scenario, I am on board with that.

10 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

Not much we can do about that unfortunately.  If we miss on Cousins and miss on the top guys then we'll be set back years anyway not having a QB.

If we do go for a QB we just have to hope we pick the right one.  It's really not an option.  Another stop gap QB is going to get this regime canned and we'll be rebuilding again before you know it.  We need to land Cousins or hit on one of these QB's.  It's really the only thing that matters.

I never said not to draft a QB. I said I’m not for trading up to get one.

7 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I never said not to draft a QB. I said I’m not for trading up to get one.

Yeah then you either get stuck with the leftovers or a mid round guy who has an even worse chance to succeed.  If we miss on Cousins I'm saying pick the 1-2 guys you flat out love and think will be great and go get them.  Don't wait get your guy.

2 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

Yeah then you either get stuck with the leftovers or a mid round guy who has an even worse chance to succeed.  If we miss on Cousins I'm saying pick the 1-2 guys you flat out love and think will be great and go get them.  Don't wait get your guy.

Sometimes the leftovers are better than the top picks.

For me, the best-case scenario is we bring back McCown, we sign a Bridgewater/Taylor/Glennon type to compete with McCown and the rookie we draft in Round 2 (hopefully Jackson) and the young holdovers. Competition is key. Depth is key. Not throwing all of our eggs into a saviour's basket is also key. 

I want five QB's in camp, with healthy competition for 3 jobs. The only guy guaranteed a job is the rookie (but he might be inactive as the No. 3 all season if he struggles).

6 minutes ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

For me, the best-case scenario is we bring back McCown, we sign a Bridgewater/Taylor/Glennon type to compete with McCown and the rookie we draft in Round 2 (hopefully Jackson) and the young holdovers. Competition is key. Depth is key. Not throwing all of our eggs into a saviour's basket is also key. 

I want five QB's in camp, with healthy competition for 3 jobs. The only guy guaranteed a job is the rookie (but he might be inactive as the No. 3 all season if he struggles).

You don't want to sign McCown and a bridgewater type.  You'll eat up like 25 mil in cap.

2 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

You don't want to sign McCown and a bridgewater type.  You'll eat up like 25 mil in cap.

OK, but how many free agent starters will we need to sign? If our top 4 picks (1, 2, 2, 3) are all starters for us (let's assume one RB, one O lineman, 1 edge rusher and 1 QB), then we would have enough money to sign a LCB, a WR, re-sign ASJ, bring back our free agents and sign backups.

No?

2 minutes ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

OK, but how many free agent starters will we need to sign? If our top 4 picks (1, 2, 2, 3) are all starters for us (let's assume one RB, one O lineman, 1 edge rusher and 1 QB), then we would have enough money to sign a LCB, a WR, re-sign ASJ, bring back our free agents and sign backups.

No?

We have around 90 mil.  5 mil to the draft, likely 20 min to re-sign ASJ, Demario, etc., so at 65.  Gut says Mac adds two CB's which likely eats up 20-25 of that, so let's say 45-50.  If we sign a top tier lineman, another 10, so 35-40.  If we add an edge and a WR, likely another 15 or so, so we'll be between 20-25.  We could swing two QB's, but we'd be better off going with one and investing the other money in role players.  I'm not saying it's not doable, I just think we're better off drafting a QB and if needed, rolling with McCown for one more year.

1 minute ago, barnaby8787 said:

We have around 90 mil.  5 mil to the draft, likely 20 min to re-sign ASJ, Demario, etc., so at 65.  Gut says Mac adds two CB's which likely eats up 20-25 of that, so let's say 45-50.  If we sign a top tier lineman, another 10, so 35-40.  If we add an edge and a WR, likely another 15 or so, so we'll be between 20-25.  We could swing two QB's, but we'd be better off going with one and investing the other money in role players.  I'm not saying it's not doable, I just think we're better off drafting a QB and if needed, rolling with McCown for one more year.

Nice. We could sign only one CB instead of two, since we traded a draft pick for Robinson, and use that other money on another vet QB to provide depth and healthy competition. 

Just one man's opinion.

29 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

Sure sometimes but most of the time I would say going for your guy is the better way.

Not really though. Look at the top QBs in the NFL... most weren’t Top 5 picks.

Brady, Rodgers, Brees, Wilson just to name a few. I’m not saying a guy like Falk will be better than Darnold. I’m just saying I don’t see any of Darnold, Rosen, Mayfield or Allen worth trading up for.

Clearly you do. And that’s fine. Just a difference of opinion.

2 minutes ago, Bianconero said:

Sign Kirk Cousins

Draft Quenten Nelson at 6

Draft Sony Michel at 37

Profit

I’d be beyond exited for something like this. Even more excited if it was Jones instead of Michel. But that’s nitpicking.

Archived