3rd Round Pick - OC Ricky Stromberg

MKnight82

Really like the player.  Played against great competition.  Head coach Sam Pittman is widely considered the OL whisperer in college football.  

However, we already spent a ton at interior line in free agency, and while you should always spend a Day 1-2 pick on OL, I just can’t get behind the glut of interior line guys that we have.  And the worst part is, none of them stick out at one position.  It’s just a mashup of guys who are just dudes, and that’s it.  

22 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Really like the player.  Played against great competition.  Head coach Sam Pittman is widely considered the OL whisperer in college football.  

However, we already spent a ton at interior line in free agency, and while you should always spend a Day 1-2 pick on OL, I just can’t get behind the glut of interior line guys that we have.  And the worst part is, none of them stick out at one position.  It’s just a mashup of guys who are just dudes, and that’s it.  

Feels like maybe they’re changing blocking schemes with the new O Coordinator?  I know we’re going to a zone scheme this year, not sure if we ran that in the past.  Both guys we signed and this guy all seem to be fits for zone.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MKnight82 said:

Feels like maybe they’re changing blocking schemes with the new O Coordinator?  I know we’re going to a zone scheme this year, not sure if we ran that in the past.  Both guys we signed and this guy all seem to be fits for zone.  

I mean, that is always possible, but you would also be expecting some cuts to go along with those additions if that was the case.  

I think after Avila (who would have really  moved the needle )  all the top centers including stromberg are promising. 

I just hope we see that Stromberg is a Center.  Don't make him a guard just cause he has position flex.  Position flex is great in a pinch, but the number one goal should be to maximize players' talents and develop true starters.  He is a center, let him develop as a center, don't ruin his progression by moving him all over the place .  In 4 years if he is a swing backup, fine but lets develop starters, not swappable backup players.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/30/2023 at 3:40 AM, offbyone said:

I think after Avila (who would have really  moved the needle )  all the top centers including stromberg are promising. 

I just hope we see that Stromberg is a Center.  Don't make him a guard just cause he has position flex.  Position flex is great in a pinch, but the number one goal should be to maximize players' talents and develop true starters.  He is a center, let him develop as a center, don't ruin his progression by moving him all over the place .  In 4 years if he is a swing backup, fine but lets develop starters, not swappable backup players.

100% 

This guy is a center, keep him there & it's an absolutely great pick. Now that we cut Roullier, it's become pretty clear that it's between Gates & Larsen to be our starting C with an outside chance of Stromberg beating out both veterans to be the starter.

The loser of the competition between Gates & Larsen should be cut in late August/early September IMO to ensure there’s a spot for Stromberg or hopefully, as I said he beats them both out and one of the vets is his backup.

On 4/29/2023 at 9:34 AM, naptownskinsfan said:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but we only signed one interior OL in FA correct? Who else did we sign by Nick Gates?

Wylie is going to be our starting RT since we didn't have the opportunity to draft one of the top OT prospects in round 1.

It seems to me that currently Cosmi is penciled in to be our starting RG with the outside possibility of Saahdiq Charles, Chris Paul or Braden Daniels (4th rnd pick) being our starting RG over Cosmi.

As for center, it's a 3 man race between Gates, Larsen & Stromberg. Stromberg will have a roster spot, so whoever loses the competition between Gates & Larsen will be cut IMO & there's an outside chance Stomberg beats out both vets to be our starting C this year.

Edited by turtle28