2018 Draft Prospects

blkwdw13

1 minute ago, G08 said:

Alex Brown was kind of a bum, man. Ogunleye came into Chicago overrated... couldn't cut it when he was 'the man'.

By the numbers they were "good" pass rushers.

Robert Mathis has well over 100 career sacks, that is a little better than a "good" pass rusher.

Just now, WindyCity said:

You are not actually arguing that Chubb isn't safer than Davenport?

Level of competition matters a ton when you consider that most of the tape on Davenport right now is physically bullying around OTs that physically cannot play at the NFL level. Davenport beat up on guys because he was the best athlete on the field every game. That will not be the case in the NFL, that is where technique will come into the equation and that is where he is deficient right now.

Chubb is safer because we can watch the consistent technique used to win against 1st round OTs like McGlinchey. We can see consistent production against players that will play on Sunday and physically offer a comp to what he may have to do at the NFL level. On top of it they are very similar athletes.

Chubb

-Athletic

-Productive

-Technically proficent

Davenport

-Athletic

-Somewhat productive, but really should have done more against B level talent.

And against the best, most athletic DL that Notre Dame played, Nelson and McGlinchey were ******* embarrassed

Just now, beardown3231 said:

Alex Brown never had more than 7 sacks in a year. Ogunleye had double digit sacks twice. If that's "very good," maybe that's where we can't get on the same page because I just have different definitions of very good.

Being 30th all time in sacks, which is what I believe Mathis is, is "very good" but not quite "HOF."

I would take Hutchinson over Robert Mathis.

I would do so even more now that I have to play Sheldon Richardson, Linval Joseph and Mike Daniels 4 times a season.

3 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Robert Mathis has well over 100 career sacks, that is a little better than a "good" pass rusher.

No one said "good." The poster said "very good."

Still, what numbers are you looking at to say Alex Brown was "good?" He averaged 5 sacks/year.

Edited by beardown3231

20 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I can give you OG but not Brown.

So on the 2018 Bears, do I want an OG that averaged 7 sacks a season or Hall of Famer Steve Hutchinson?

Give me OG.

15 minutes ago, G08 said:

I can give you OG but not Brown.

So on the 2018 Bears, do I want an OG that averaged 7 sacks a season or Hall of Famer Steve Hutchinson?

Give me OG.

I'll disagree with you now. I don't think 7 sacks/year is "very good." Very good to me is 10-11/year.

7 sacks/year doesn't do it for me at pick #8.

2 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

I'll disagree with you now. I don't think 7 sacks/year is "very good." Very good to me is 10-11/year.

7 sacks/year doesn't do it for me at pick #8.

It's a little more complex in my mind than that because if he's getting 7 a year it means Leonard Floyd won't be getting chipped and doubled as much as I saw him last season, which should make him better as well.

4 minutes ago, G08 said:

It's a little more complex in my mind than that because if he's getting 7 a year it means Leonard Floyd won't be getting chipped and doubled as much as I saw him last season, which should make him better as well.

BTW, no more "OG" when referring to Ogunleye, especially since this argument is about the value of the OG position. It's confusing :D

• Like 2

1 minute ago, beardown3231 said:

BTW, no more "OG" when referring to Ogunleye, especially since this argument is about the value of the OG position. It's confusing :D

Now THAT is funny xD

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

Chubb is a better prospect because he has a better chance of being a top notch NFL player.

I agree he is not Garrett or Von Miller.

Id say Davenport has the better chance to be the elite olb, Chubb has a better chance to be a solid olb.  For me the question is would you rather take a chance on a guy being Aldon Smith or Aaron Kampmann

1 minute ago, G08 said:

^ Nice Hawkeye reference

Well Kampmann was a very good solid edge player for a long time, but he was never a top of the league pass rusher.  Thats what i see in Chubb.  Hes got good technique, is a + athlete and can really play the run.  Davenports physical traits, and hand usage means he could end up being a guy that is an all pro on the edge.  Chubbs floor is significantly higher, but that difference is reversed when we get into the ceiling.