2018 Draft Prospects

blkwdw13

6 hours ago, Epyon said:

I feel the exact opposite about Davenport..... A dude who can't bend the edge at a position where we need edge bend is inherently useless, and on his best year, was only matching Landry's worst year statistically. I want nothing to do with him, or any other prospect who doesn't know what the hell they're doing, personally. I'm sick of those players and the high bust rate they entail. We already have Kevin White who sucks at his job.... Floyd is honestly a bust for his draft position too. Can't keep wasting picks on athletes who don't know how to do the thing they're being drafted for.

Landry had high level athleticism and knows how to do his job already.... Nelson honestly was a bit of a let down at the combine but he knows how to do his job already... and Ward is an elite level athlete who knows how to do his job.... Why waste time on a players who don't know how to do what they're being drafted for?

How do you know Kevin White sucks at his job?

Kentavius Street tore his ACL a few days ago, and Nick Nelson tore his meniscus today/yesterday. Ugh. I feel for both kids.

BTW, Walter Football has updated the Bears prospect meeting list:

• Mike Boone, RB, Cincinnati (PRO)
  • Brett Toth, OT, Army (EW)
  • Equanimeous St. Brown, WR, Notre Dame (PRI)
  • Deon Cain, WR, Clemson (COM)
  • Bradley Chubb, DE, N.C. State (PRI)
  • Simmie Cobbs Jr., WR, Indiana (WOR)
  • James Daniels, C, Iowa (PRI)
  • Jaylen Dunlap, CB, Illinois (PRI)
  • Minkah Fitzpatrick^, S, Alabama (WOR, PRI)
  • Jarvion Franklin, RB, Western Michigan (PRI)
  • Matthew Gono, G, Wesley (PRI)
  • Mike Hughes, CB, Central Florida (PRI)
  • Hayden Hurst, TE, South Carolina (COM)
  • Joshua Jackson, CB, Iowa (PRI)
  • Lamar Jackson, QB, Louisville (COM)
  • Elijah Marks, WR, Northern Arizona (PRI)
  • Jamar McGloster, OT, Syracuse (EW)
  • Tarvarius Moore, FS, Southern Mississippi (PRI)
  • Isaiah Oliver, CB, Colorado (PRI)
  • Brandon Parker, OT, North Carolina A&T (COM)
  • DeMornay Pierson-El, WR, Nebraska (PRO)
  • Kyle Queiro, FS, Northwestern (WOR)
  • Jeremy Reaves, S, South Alabama (PRI)
  • Malik Reaves, CB, Villanova (PRI)
  • Calvin Ridley^, WR, Alabama (COM, PRO)
  • Brandon Shed^, WR, Hobart (PRO, PRI)
  • Roquan Smith, OLB/ILB, Georgia (PRI)
  • Courtland Sutton, WR, SMU (COM)
  • Jonah Trinnaman^, WR, Brigham Young (PRO, PRI)
  • Denzel Ward^, CB, Ohio State (COM, PRI)
  • Damon Webb, S, Ohio State (EW

FWIW, the only person on this same list last year was Trubisky. They did not meet with Cohen, Shaheen, Jackson, or Morgan. In 2016, they met with Floyd, RRH, and Whitehair but did not meet with Bullard, Kwiakoski, Howard, Bush, Hall, or Houston-Carson.

Probably won't always be the case, but they always meet with their 1st round pick at least once in the Pace era. They did the same with White. Unless something changes (and I'm sure they will since we still have 20 days, the Bears wouldn't have met with Davenport, Nelson, Landry, James, or Edmunds.

Edited by beardown3231
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, G08 said:

Football has been my way of coping with the stressors of life, it's not just the release of built up aggression but it's been my place of alleviation. It's a place where I don't have to worry about the world because on the field it doesn't exist.

I don't even know what to make of this

On 4/5/2018 at 9:58 AM, WindyCity said:

I think one thing that is overlooked is that both Pace and Nagy come from teams that routinely convert OTs to OG and Cs. I would not be shocked if we drafted multiple college OTs and made them OGs.

KCs entire starting interior played OT in college.

NO has done it with great success with Evans, Nicks and Peat.

The Bears have done it twice with Whitehair and Morgan

It makes sense that OTs can move to guard and not vis a versa because better players typically go to OT first at lower levels.

Nelson probably would have been an OT if not for two future  first round picks already manning those positions when he arrived at ND.

Countless can't miss 1st round Tackles, who missed, have been moved successfully to guard.  Few guards move successfully to OT.   

Tony Mandarich, Robert Gallery and Luke Joeckel all #2 overall picks come immediately to mind.   They made adequate guards.  Gallery and Mandarich were very good guards eventually actually.  But at #2 they were supposed to be 10 year all pro OTs so they were busts.     

Most hyped OL ever, Tony Mandarich, was drafted by GB and eventually became a very good but publicly forgotten guard in Indy.   Viewed as a historical monumental bust.  Much more hyped and can't miss than Nelson or anyone, viewed as greatest college OL ever.  Most now think his monumental college success was a product of prodigious PED use that he got off when drafted.  One thing that sports teaches is that PEDs can really help.  People have achieved monumental feats and records while using them and  oft fallen greatly when off them.  People who say they don't make that much difference are naive or blind.  Proof is in the pudding. 

Mandarich used to routinely pancake or run great players 4 or 5 yards off the ball in college.  Gallery was dominant in college as well.  Both much more dominant than Nelson was in college as much hyped as he is.   Joeckel was just a good pass blocker with nice feet, not really a dominant player like others, not sure how he got to be a #2 overall pick.

I digress.  I think if you could get OT Orlando Brown in late 2nd or sometime in 3rd he would be well worth a pick.  Gives you some position flexibility.  I think he beats out Massie and you can move Massie to guard or put Brown at guard next to Massie and have him be OT depth.   Based on tape most had him in first round before poor combine work out.  Gives you a massive front to run behind.  

You could draft Price or Daniels or like in 2nd, but then they are guards/centers only and you need OT depth badly.

7 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Not trying to be condescending or anything but we’re you ever a collegiate/pro athlete? I can tell you for a fact that a TON of elite athletes feel very similar about their respective sport. Its therapeutic in a sense, it’s the one time your mind is free. You hear race car drivers say this too. 

9 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

He's a different kind of dude... very, very introspective from what I've gathered. Read some things that he came off nervous/insecure in meetings.

^ Which is not to say it's a BAD thing, but the insecurity does bother me a little because he's going to be going against big, angry men in the NFL. No room for your feelings to be insecure.

1 hour ago, beardown3231 said:

Kentavius Street tore his ACL a few days ago, and Nick Nelson tore his meniscus today/yesterday. Ugh. I feel for both kids.

BTW, Walter Football has updated the Bears prospect meeting list:

• Mike Boone, RB, Cincinnati (PRO)
  • Brett Toth, OT, Army (EW)
  • Equanimeous St. Brown, WR, Notre Dame (PRI)
  • Deon Cain, WR, Clemson (COM)
  • Bradley Chubb, DE, N.C. State (PRI)
  • Simmie Cobbs Jr., WR, Indiana (WOR)
  • James Daniels, C, Iowa (PRI)
  • Jaylen Dunlap, CB, Illinois (PRI)
  • Minkah Fitzpatrick^, S, Alabama (WOR, PRI)
  • Jarvion Franklin, RB, Western Michigan (PRI)
  • Matthew Gono, G, Wesley (PRI)
  • Mike Hughes, CB, Central Florida (PRI)
  • Hayden Hurst, TE, South Carolina (COM)
  • Joshua Jackson, CB, Iowa (PRI)
  • Lamar Jackson, QB, Louisville (COM)
  • Elijah Marks, WR, Northern Arizona (PRI)
  • Jamar McGloster, OT, Syracuse (EW)
  • Tarvarius Moore, FS, Southern Mississippi (PRI)
  • Isaiah Oliver, CB, Colorado (PRI)
  • Brandon Parker, OT, North Carolina A&T (COM)
  • DeMornay Pierson-El, WR, Nebraska (PRO)
  • Kyle Queiro, FS, Northwestern (WOR)
  • Jeremy Reaves, S, South Alabama (PRI)
  • Malik Reaves, CB, Villanova (PRI)
  • Calvin Ridley^, WR, Alabama (COM, PRO)
  • Brandon Shed^, WR, Hobart (PRO, PRI)
  • Roquan Smith, OLB/ILB, Georgia (PRI)
  • Courtland Sutton, WR, SMU (COM)
  • Jonah Trinnaman^, WR, Brigham Young (PRO, PRI)
  • Denzel Ward^, CB, Ohio State (COM, PRI)
  • Damon Webb, S, Ohio State (EW

FWIW, the only person on this same list last year was Trubisky. They did not meet with Cohen, Shaheen, Jackson, or Morgan. In 2016, they met with Floyd, RRH, and Whitehair but did not meet with Bullard, Kwiakoski, Howard, Bush, Hall, or Houston-Carson.

Probably won't always be the case, but they always meet with their 1st round pick at least once in the Pace era. They did the same with White. Unless something changes (and I'm sure they will since we still have 20 days, the Bears wouldn't have met with Davenport, Nelson, Landry, James, or Edmunds.

Don't know many of those names, but guys I bolded would be potential targets for me depending on how board shook out.  

Fitz, Chubb, Ward, Smith will go early I think, then Ridley.  Other names are intriguing as to where they end up.

Hughes I've heard, from a guy I respect with a good track record, is a very good CB.  I think Oliver is very good. 

19 minutes ago, pigsooie5 said:

Not trying to be condescending or anything but we’re you ever a collegiate/pro athlete? I can tell you for a fact that a TON of elite athletes feel very similar about their respective sport. Its therapeutic in a sense, it’s the one time your mind is free. You hear race car drivers say this too. 

No, I wasn't. I think I should rephrase: "what was the point of posting this tweet?" I think most guys use football as a stress reliever. Aside from that, I literally can't draw anything from it, other than like you said, he uses the football field as an escape.

18 minutes ago, G08 said:

He's a different kind of dude... very, very introspective from what I've gathered. Read some things that he came off nervous/insecure in meetings.

On PTTD or Total Access, I heard him talk after his Pro Day (I think it was). He was very well spoken. Maybe he's just introspective like you said, but again as long as he stays out of jail, doesn't do anything to get himself in jail potentially, doesn't become a huge distraction (Martellus Bennett) and nets 8+ sacks annually, I'm fine with it.

14 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Don't know many of those names, but guys I bolded would be potential targets for me depending on how board shook out.  

Fitz, Chubb, Ward, Smith will go early I think, then Ridley.  Other names are intriguing as to where they end up.

Hughes I've heard, from a guy I respect with a good track record, is a very good CB.  I think Oliver is very good. 

I agree. I'd also put Brandon Parker in that same category. I bet Pace saw a lot of him when he was scouting Cohen. He could be a pick in round 5 or 6. Oliver is a beast. I can't remember who but one analyst has him as CB1. Hughes is good too and also is a dangerous returner, but from what I understand, his off the field is iffy.

Edited by beardown3231
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, G08 said:

Just curious as to where you read that he's very introspective?

The football field quote doesn't really concern me because it tells me that he has a passion for the game and that football is important to him.

As for coming off as nervous in meetings, this isn't really abnormal for a 21 year old guy being interviewed by multiple teams with multiple executives in the same room for the biggest job interview of his life.  I mean think about it.  He should be a little nervous, no?

7 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Just curious as to where you read that he's very introspective?

The football field quote doesn't really concern me because it tells me that he has a passion for the game and that football is important to him.

As for coming off as nervous in meetings, this isn't really abnormal for a 21 year old guy being interviewed by multiple teams with multiple executives in the same room for the biggest job interview of his life.  I mean think about it.  He should be a little nervous, no?

He's just different. This is from packersnews.com

But even in a practice grounded in the peculiar, former Texas-San Antonio (UTSA) edge rusher Marcus Davenport turns heads when he tells personnel men about his love of poetry.

“They’re like, ‘Really?’” Davenport said last month at the Senior Bowl. “And I’m like, ‘Yeah, that’s one of my things.’”

And this is from PFT

Poor Marcus Davenport. The defensive end is expected to be a first-round pick, but his school creates confusion.

A reporter asked him about playing at UTEP. He played at UTSA. It is 551 miles from San Antonio, where Davenport played, to El Paso.

“What motivates me is really when people say the wrong name. They say UTEP. I go to UTSA,” Davenport said. “But yeah, that’s a little bit of motivation. I’ve always got a chip on my shoulder.”

Davenport made 185 tackles, 37.5 for loss, and 21.5 sacks in his four seasons. He also forced six fumbles. He has impressed scouts.

Davenport revealed the craziest question a team has asked, though he didn’t call out the team that asked him if he was a fruit, what kind of fruit would he be?

“I said an apple,” Davenport said. “Hey, an apple a day keeps the doctor away. I have to be healthy.”

Just now, beardown3231 said:

He's just different. This is from packersnews.com

But even in a practice grounded in the peculiar, former Texas-San Antonio (UTSA) edge rusher Marcus Davenport turns heads when he tells personnel men about his love of poetry.

“They’re like, ‘Really?’” Davenport said last month at the Senior Bowl. “And I’m like, ‘Yeah, that’s one of my things.’”

Lol...and?  What's wrong with loving poetry?  It's not for everyone I get that, but NFL players do have other interest besides just football, you know?

10 hours ago, Epyon said:

I feel the exact opposite about Davenport..... A dude who can't bend the edge at a position where we need edge bend is inherently useless, and on his best year, was only matching Landry's worst year statistically. I want nothing to do with him, or any other prospect who doesn't know what the hell they're doing, personally. I'm sick of those players and the high bust rate they entail. We already have Kevin White who sucks at his job.... Floyd is honestly a bust for his draft position too. Can't keep wasting picks on athletes who don't know how to do the thing they're being drafted for.

Landry had high level athleticism and knows how to do his job already.... Nelson honestly was a bit of a let down at the combine but he knows how to do his job already... and Ward is an elite level athlete who knows how to do his job.... Why waste time on a players who don't know how to do what they're being drafted for?

I like the disagreement and debate.

It's tougher to scout Davenport because his competition sucked compared to Landry's.  Davenport did well at Senior Bowl true, but remember former Bear 1st rounder Michael Haynes was unbelievably good at Senior Bowl practice and game, much better than Davenport, and was a bust relative to draft position.  He shot up draft because of the Senior Bowl.  Davenport was more productive than Haynes, but again - he played at a very low level of competition.   Haynes was a weird dude too.   A healthy Landry put up big numbers against top competition.  

Even against low level comp Davenport could not cover or scrape laterally to make tackles.  He could close and accelerate on people in backfield exceptionally well, but that is different. Still a nice tool to have.  Tough to call Landry a one trick pony when he demonstrated ability to flip his hips and drop in coverage and move laterally.   Landry just had trouble holding POA vs tackles, but so do most speed rushers.  Not really their strength or primary function.  

For Bears or any 3-4 team give me Landry over Davenport.  For a 4-3 team give me Davenport over Landry.  I also think Davenport has higher bust potential and a lower ceiling than Landry.

I was not a fan of the Floyd pick, especially trading up for him, but I wouldn't call him a bust.  I wouldn't call him worthy of his pick yet either.  Kind of been just a slightly above avg. player with flashes of potential so far.  I admit guy I wanted to draft, Tunsil, hasn't been that great yet either.  I think he has been at least as good as Floyd though at his position and trade wasn't necessary to get him.   I think problem with Tunsil has been between his ears and not with his ability.   I have a feeling he just isn't that smart.  Once he gets it, I think he will start to excel, if he doesn't lose confidence before then.   I was targeting Conklin, who has been great and who I picked in the GM game here, but he went before Bears picked.  Tunsil was supposed to go first but whole pot thing derailed him.  

Kevin White whom I admittedly did like coming out has not only been injured, but hasn't played well to date during his healthy periods.  Worst is he has ran the wrong routes and made wrong reads on option plays.   So far he has been a bust in every sense of the word.  But so was Fuller from 2nd half of first season all the way up until last season.  Maybe, like Fuller, White has a break out year in a contract year.  He has athletic ability.  Last chance for him.  

• Like 1