1. 1. Grade our draft

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

20 hours ago, Ragnarok said:

I'll go a C+

LVN was my third favorite option at 13 after Paris and JSN and fills a need with a great athlete at a premium position.  That's never bad.

I've made my thoughts on Musgrave and Reed known as I greatly disliked both of those picks.  Our OL needs help and Mauch was right there at 42.  There were 5 WRs available at 50 that I would have rather taken over Reed who is a JAG with meh RAS imo.  Darnell was my favorite TE in the draft and I really wanted him.

I don't dislike the Kraft pick in a vacuum, but considering we took a similar TE the round before, I'm not a fan. 

After that, I like the draft much more, QB and K aside.  Wooden and Brooks in particular are two guys I think contribute on game day.  The rest are high upside, high RAS guys which is a great thing to target in the late rounds.

While we did restock the WR and TE rooms and add a lot of bodies to the front 7, I can't give a super high grade on a draft that took zero offensive linemen and didn't address safety until 242 overall. 

I like Kraft better than Musgrave.  Darnell Washington isn't it.  Had a medical and chatter that he didn't interview well.  JSN over LVN are you kidding me?  Reed if you listen to Sullivan he ran a 4.37.  Also a dog mentality.  Love the pick.  Don't know who you're 5 are that you would have rather taken.  I'm fine with the pick especially his versatlity can return punts too.  Gute didn't take any OL because he felt that as the draft went on didn't feel any of them could make our team.  Drafted 9 guys in last 3 drafts.  Likes the room.  Safety class absolutely sucked.  No reason to reach when no decent S prospects were available.  Oh well my 2 cents with isn't worth a whole lot. 

32 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

People really didn't do their homework on Musgrave IMO. I think everone was expecting one of LaPorta, Washington, Mayer, or Kincaid. 

Yah I was wanting Mayer but after we took Kraft I'm all good.  2nd favorite pick behind LVN.  Love this kid.  He's tough.  He'll be our TE 1 he'll beat out Musgrave just watch.

Edited by Scoremore

I'm still a bit surprised by the Reed pick...his size didn't match up with what I thought they'd be looking for.  I'm excited to see what he can do, though.  

I'm surprised they didn't take at least one OL.  Not our most pressing need, but they usually take at least one.

I'm somewhat surprised in the two TE's they took while passing on Darnell Washington.

I'm most surprised (and a bit disappointed) that they waited so long to grab a safety.  I thought they'd address that position early and maybe even take two.

And honestly, I'm surprised they used all those picks.

That said, I like the class overall.  I understand (for the most part) why they went the direction they did.  Wooden and Brooks were some of my favorite prospects for us.  

11 minutes ago, Scoremore said:

I like Kraft better than Musgrave.  Darnell Washington isn't it.  Had a medical and chatter that he didn't interview well.  JSN over LVN are you kidding me?  Reed if you listen to Sullivan he ran a 4.37.  Also a dog mentality.  Love the pick.  Don't know who you're 5 are that you would have rather taken.  I'm fine with the pick especially his versatlity can return punts too.  Gute didn't take any OL because he felt that as the draft went on didn't feel any of them could make our team.  Drafted 9 guys in last 3 drafts.  Likes the room.  Safety class absolutely sucked.  No reason to reach when no decent S prospects were available.  Oh well my 2 cents with isn't worth a whole lot. 

I have Darnell as better than either Musgrave and Kraft.  The medical concern was knee swelling at the combine, but it sounds like it's not a major concern.  Where did you see the interview chatter?

And yes, JSN over LVN.

Reed did run a fast 40, but he had worse agility testing which I hold in higher regard than a 40.

And I get the points about OL and S, but we still didn't address them and we still have needs there.

45 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

I have Darnell as better than either Musgrave and Kraft.  The medical concern was knee swelling at the combine, but it sounds like it's not a major concern.  Where did you see the interview chatter?

And yes, JSN over LVN.

Reed did run a fast 40, but he had worse agility testing which I hold in higher regard than a 40.

And I get the points about OL and S, but we still didn't address them and we still have needs there.

The fact they thought on day three all of our guys were better than what was available tells me they believe in the second-year guys to make a leap and be very good options should someone get hurt. Offensive line has been an area where we excel developing guys. You have Jones, Walker, Rhyan and Tenuta who fit that mold of guys with ability who can become solid players. I'm already counting on Tom as a win so we have six darn good football players on the o-line: Bak, Jenkins, Myers, Runyan, Nijman, Tom. Don't know what to think of Newman, I'm not his biggest fan. 

There are rumors Amos may come back which would solidify that room for another year. 

Edited by Old Guy
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

And yes, JSN over LVN.

Chatter floating around on why Washington dropped.  He doesn't play to his speed either.  I was all about him until I digged deeper.  Personally I like Kraft better.  JSN don't get the hype.  I think we got a similar player in Reed.  No way do I take him at #13.  Let's just say we did.  Pass Rusher was probably our #1 need.  So how do you address that at #42?  All the top tier guys would have been off the board.  Now you could make an arguement of taking Jones over LVN and I wouldn't ***** too much but our need at Edge was more acute IMO.  Nah man I think Gute played it right. 

23 minutes ago, Scoremore said:

Yah I was wanting Mayer but after we took Kraft I'm all good.  2nd favorite pick behind LVN.  Love this kid.  He's tough.  He'll be our TE 1 he'll beat out Musgrave just watch.

Unless injuries or something else unlucky occurs I doubt it. Kraft is a great insurance policy but I think Musgrave will be special. 

22 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

Unless injuries or something else unlucky occurs I doubt it. Kraft is a great insurance policy but I think Musgrave will be special. 

Kraft will be a better blocker and is a more rounded TE.  Up the seam tho it's all Musgrave.  Really like them both but think Kraft will be the starter. 

4 hours ago, Uffdaswede said:

Musgrave and LVN seem to come from high-achieving families, much like CM3. The hope is that the drive to achieve survives to this next level… the safety nets below them are wide and secure.

Kraft’s family seems a lot like Jordy’s…rural high achievers with successful operations, hard work, and hard play.

Wooden’s family really touched me. Just mom and dad and Colby with grateful hearts.

Then you have Kenny Clark and all the drafted players who somehow kept the dream alive through trauma, loss, uncertainty and with the economic concerns of the working poor. I’m sure some of our new players have that background.

Had we known, our hearts were actually broken weeks ago on players like Washington, Branch, and the fast fullback kid when Gute first set his board. Maybe it was RAS, maybe it was skillset or injury, or maybe Gute had a feeling that the player didn’t fit in the locker room. I think the locker room composition— like it or not— is a big ****ing deal for Gute. Which is weird, cuz I don’t like him all that much.

Edit: I guess this long ramble was precipitated by thinking about Musgrave and LVN—and how the security of their well-off youth compares with the background of others and impacts their drive to succeed. CM3 had a similar social profile and there was nothing wrong with his head. Injuries got him.

By far the most overlooked (and unavailable) information during draft season is the personal side. I definitely don't have time to get into that for prospects. But I really enjoy getting into the ones we do take. It's really sold me on Reed and Kraft, for example. Really easy to root for and see what the scouts and eventually the staff likes about those young men in particular.

55 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

And yes, JSN over LVN.

Not sure how you can say the medical on Washington is not a major concern. Many teams passed on him before one took him. It seems pretty obvious the opposite is true, that his medical is a serious concern.

Also, I see you mention LVN as your third choice behind JSN and Paris. Paris was long-gone by our pick. So I don't understand how that's relevant?

55 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

The fact they thought on day three all of our guys were better than what was available tells me they believe in the second-year guys to make a leap and be very good options should someone get hurt. Offensive line has been an area where we excel developing guys. You have Jones, Walker, Rhyan and Tenuta who fit that mold of guys with ability who can become solid players. I'm already counting on Tom as a win so we have six darn good football players on the o-line: Bak, Jenkins, Myers, Runyan, Nijman, Tom. Don't know what to think of Newman, I'm not his biggest fan. 

There are rumors Amos may come back which would solidify that room for another year. 

I'm also not a big Newman fan.  Love me some Tom though.  Ill always have a dislike for Myers cause Creed went one pick later.

53 minutes ago, Scoremore said:

Chatter floating around on why Washington dropped.  He doesn't play to his speed either.  I was all about him until I digged deeper.  Personally I like Kraft better.  JSN don't get the hype.  I think we got a similar player in Reed.  No way do I take him at #13.  Let's just say we did.  Pass Rusher was probably our #1 need.  So how do you address that at #42?  All the top tier guys would have been off the board.  Now you could make an arguement of taking Jones over LVN and I wouldn't ***** too much but our need at Edge was more acute IMO.  Nah man I think Gute played it right. 

Can you show where you saw any of that chatter?  Genuinely curious.  I also disagree about him not playing to his speed.

I think JSN and Reed are very different.  JSN has elite stop-start and short area quickness with enough speed. Reed runs a fast 40, but doesn't have great agility.

Imo, our #1 need was building around Love.  I think JSN and Mauch with a TE at 50 or keep Kraft in the 3rd does that more effectively.  LVN is a really good prospect at a premium position.  No argument there.

Clifford was the only real surprise, surprise that he was drafted that is. I guess a bit surprised we didn't take one of the 2 outstanding safeties in either Round 2 (Branch) or Round 3 (Battle).

Next year we'll have 2 1st Round picks, and likely whatever we get for Bak in trade which will be substantial if he proves his knee is good this year. That being said slightly surprised no O-Linemen drafted, and we passed on some good ones day 1 and day 2.

Washington had medical concerns, he had other less tangible concerns.  Interviews and perception play a role.  I like every single TE taken before him better, far better.

A strong B for me.  If they hit on either the kicker or QB an easy A.  Now we wait for 2-3 years to find out.

4 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Not sure how you can say the medical on Washington is not a major concern. Many teams passed on him before one took him. It seems pretty obvious the opposite is true, that his medical is a serious concern.

Also, I see you mention LVN as your third choice behind JSN and Paris. Paris was long-gone by our pick. So I don't understand how that's relevant?

We've seen teams get scared off by overblown stuff before.  I'm saying that based on the reports since, it doesn't seem like a Tyjae Spears level concern.

I meant that going into the draft, Paris, JSN, and LVN were my three favorite guys for us.  

4 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

I think JSN and Reed are very different.  JSN has elite stop-start and short area quickness with enough speed. Reed runs a fast 40, but doesn't have great agility.

Imo, our #1 need was building around Love.  I think JSN and Mauch with a TE at 50 or keep Kraft in the 3rd does that more effectively.  LVN is a really good prospect at a premium position.  No argument there.

I think Reed's agility is going to surprise you. I think you get in trouble when you start forcing picks. LVN was clearly the better overall prospect than JSN. Mauch doesn't start for us year 1, both the TE's are going to get a lot of snaps on offense. Reed is going to surprise you and JSN isn't going to light up the NFL. 

I think Reed and Kraft will be huge value hits from this class. They both really really feel like they're going to have long successful careers in GB. LVN as well, but being a premium pick, he has to achieve even more to be equivalent value. I think he'll be a good player, but not sure he'll become elite for his draft slot. 

I'm not sold on Musgrave. Want to like him, but not getting the best vibes there. 

Wooden is a really clever insurance pick for LVN. Productive, athletic SEC DL are welcome on the roster at every position in the draft for me. I like this pick a lot, too.

Clifford and the kicker are whatever picks for me. Needed to cheaply fill those roster spots. 

Wicks and DuBose both have NFL bodies but lack elite speed. Both are strong WRs with at least adequate ball skills. Between the two, I think I like DuBose a little more, but both have the ability and opportunity to make the roster. I see limited in-game opportunities behind the big three though (Watson, Reed, Doubs) moving forward. Whoever impresses Coach B on STs most is gonna lock down those 4-6 WR spots.

Brooks is an interesting fella. Dominated in the DL against lower competition. Has a nasty streak. Super productive and a mediocre NFL athlete at position. Like him in the clubhouse to push that DL room though. Probably the personality you want to add there so definitely rooting for him to be good enough on the field to keep around.

Valentine might make the roster due to the depth at position. But he pretty much sucked in college. Gave up over 100 passer rating two years ago and around 95 this year. 

Lew Nichols went from 6.5 to 5.4 to 3.5 ypc from his sophomore yr to senior yr. Unless there's some big underlying circumstances there, this feels like a wasted pick in a class that has some late RB talent. Hunter Luepke would have been a wayyyy better pick here.

Anthony Johnson will be a fun watch. There's openings at safety on this team and he has an NFL body and produced at Iowa St after s position change. Sleeper pick and the best bet of our late round guys to be a contributor I think.

I think we got what we came for in this class and found a couple mid rounders with a chance to shine, but didn't crush a few of the spots, so can't give out an 'A' top to bottom. But it's a solid B to B+ for me. 

Edited by incognito_man