2024 NFL Draft Talk

lumberjackchris

56 minutes ago, lumberjackchris said:

Got a feeling Cleveland is about to hit a rough patch.

Combine this with that lingering shoulder issue that Myles Garrett is playing through - and you have a team that is going to be depending heavily on Jerome Ford and Denzel Ward to win games. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mse326 said:

Miami has a DT that looks really raw in Leonard Taylor but a ton of athleticism and a great first step. But he hasn't put together a special resume. I wouldn't mind considering him if we have a late 1st but I'll have to watch more

Yeah, I saw a few mocks that have him as the pick go the Texans. I'd prefer an elite vet DT (Jones, Wilkins) but I bet those end up as no gos as far as availability to sign here.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

This is such a loaded WR class, I think maybe we should take one in round 1. Pair him with Nico and Dell and we would be stacked. 

Don't hate this. I'm still holding out hope that Metchie comes into form at some point down the stretch here. We've spent a day 2 pick on WR three years in a row now. We should be pretty solid there. 

On 12/12/2023 at 8:09 AM, Pastor Dillon said:

This is such a loaded WR class, I think maybe we should take one in round 1. Pair him with Nico and Dell and we would be stacked. 

It is, but I also think the depth of talent is going to get guys to fall down the draft board. This time last year, WR was a very weak position in the draft and the Texans walked away with perhaps one of the best in the group with Tank. (Pukachu is the only one who can claim to be better, and he was drafted later). 

I'm perfectly OK with just taking the best non-QB on the board; Outside of QB, there isn't a position where you couldn't improve - a DE opposite Anderson, a CB across from Stingley or even an OL immediately help this team out. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ET80 said:

It is, but I also think the depth of talent is going to get guys to fall down the draft board. This time last year, WR was a very weak position in the draft and the Texans walked away with perhaps one of the best in the group with Tank. (Pukachu is the only one who can claim to be better, and he was drafted later). 

I'm perfectly OK with just taking the best non-QB on the board; Outside of QB, there isn't a position where you couldn't improve - a DE opposite Anderson, a CB across from Stingley or even an OL immediately help this team out. 

I think we should keep Greenard opposite Anderson. But we do need DTs. We need linebackers and help in the secondary too. 

4 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

I think we should keep Greenard opposite Anderson. But we do need DTs. We need linebackers and help in the secondary too. 

I was thinking about Greenard - having a career year while staying healthy for the first time in his career all in a contract year is just a recipe for disaster when negotiations for a new contract come up. 

I'd like to keep him, but this season tells me he's going to want to get paid - and I don't want to give him anything beyond a 2-3 year deal with minimum guaranteed money, simply because he can't stay healthy. 

I'll take a chance on an older vet and a rookie in a rotation (or maybe Dylan Horton if his medical situation clears up and he can resume playing). Derek Barnett in a rotational role with a day 2 rookie and another low cost FA could replicate what Greenard is doing, IMO.

58 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I was thinking about Greenard - having a career year while staying healthy for the first time in his career all in a contract year is just a recipe for disaster when negotiations for a new contract come up. 

I'd like to keep him, but this season tells me he's going to want to get paid - and I don't want to give him anything beyond a 2-3 year deal with minimum guaranteed money, simply because he can't stay healthy. 

I'll take a chance on an older vet and a rookie in a rotation (or maybe Dylan Horton if his medical situation clears up and he can resume playing). Derek Barnett in a rotational role with a day 2 rookie and another low cost FA could replicate what Greenard is doing, IMO.

Ya, it's funny how many guys magically stay healthy and have career years in contract years.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I was thinking about Greenard

As far as other FAs on roster: 

- Dalton Schultz is the best TE on roster with no real second option to rely on. He's got a nice rapport with CJ Stroud as a pass catcher, so keeping him is priority. 

- CB Steven Nelson is in the middle of a career year and has been very up front on his contract demands. His value is at an all time high, but his age is no doubt going to cap him. For as good as he's been, he's still (at his best) a middle to higher end #2, a guy who can be replaced with the right rookie.

- DT Sheldon Rankins has a bunch of voidable years, you'd probably be served well in redoing those years and keeping him around in the DT rotation. 

- K Ka'imi Fairbairn has proven his worth by missing the last few games. Resign him.

- MLB Denzel Perryman is a savvy vet who still plays very physically. Keep him around.

On 11/30/2023 at 8:38 AM, ET80 said:

Yeah, I saw a few mocks that have him as the pick go the Texans. I'd prefer an elite vet DT (Jones, Wilkins) but I bet those end up as no gos as far as availability to sign here.

Hi et a lot hate now that mayfield is outplaying leshaun this year.

to be honest I think you take the top safety

in this draft plus the Clemson linebacker then trade up and get a cat quick slot receiver.

this would yield you3 above average starter with maybe 2 all stars

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder what kind of relationship CJ has with Emeka Egbuka. He has been falling down draft boards and is now considered a 2nd round pick. If CJ says "go get him" I would not be opposed to adding him in round 2 if he is there. He was a 1,000 yard WR with Stroud while playing opposite marvin harrison jr. It could be a nice add to Nico and Dell. 

There was a rumor during the draft that Stroud told the texans not to draft Wypler, his college center. I dont know if thats true, it seems far fetched and considering Wypler fell to the 6th round, I would say that most teams just didnt like him that much, but if its true, it means that Stroud would have a very unbiased opinion, so if he says go get Egbuka, we should listen. Also the rumors was that Stroud wanted Dell and that might have worked out for the long term. 

Not our problem anymore, buuuuuuut... I think we'll see four QBs go top 10-15:

- Caleb Williams (I think his lock on QB1 is tenuous at best, but I also see him winning the underwear olympics handily)

- Jayden Daniels (boom/bust type but he's got some really nice tools to build on, Lamar's season is going to get scouts and GMs salivating)

- Drake Maye (Probably SHOULD be QB1 - I'll concede he's really good - but doesn't have the athletic upside of the others. He's probably the best QB of the group, but will lose points on the other two because he's not the same sort of athlete)

- Michael Penix (If Maye is the best QB of the group, Penix is the 2nd best, and he's playing his best football right about now)

Bo Nix might crash the party somewhere in the 1st, Cam Ward and Spencer Rattler are both 5th round talents who will be drafted earlier than expected, JJ McCarthy is going to get overly scrutinized but is probably the best non-1st round guy of the bunch... but this particular QB class does have quantity on their side. 

On 12/27/2023 at 1:23 PM, Pastor Dillon said:

I wonder what kind of relationship CJ has with Emeka Egbuka. He has been falling down draft boards and is now considered a 2nd round pick. If CJ says "go get him" I would not be opposed to adding him in round 2 if he is there. He was a 1,000 yard WR with Stroud while playing opposite marvin harrison jr. It could be a nice add to Nico and Dell. 

There was a rumor during the draft that Stroud told the texans not to draft Wypler, his college center. I dont know if thats true, it seems far fetched and considering Wypler fell to the 6th round, I would say that most teams just didnt like him that much, but if its true, it means that Stroud would have a very unbiased opinion, so if he says go get Egbuka, we should listen. Also the rumors was that Stroud wanted Dell and that might have worked out for the long term. 

I like Egbuka a lot and think his drop has more to do with the ineptitude of Kyle McCord than with Egbuka himself. Kyle McCord might be the worst College Football QB I've seen since Reggie Ball - he's *bad* at football.

Egbuka lacks top end speed, but he's got everything else - incredible quickness and acceleration at 6' 1" 205lbs, runs really good routes, has impeccable hands and can contort to make really tough grabs. He reminds me of the Rams' WRs - Kupp and Pukachu aren't going to win any foot races, but they get open with relative ease and make catch after catch. 

Here's something new we have to consider - Egbuka has yet to declare. With a better QB coming down the pipeline (either freshman phenom Air Noland or Kansas State transfer Will Howard) along with a VERY deep WR class (former teammate Marvin Harrison Jr, Malik Nabers, Keon Coleman, Rome Odouze, AD Mitchell all jockeying for the top spot) and a ton of NIL money - is Egbuka even going to declare?

9 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I like Egbuka a lot and think his drop has more to do with the ineptitude of Kyle McCord than with Egbuka himself. Kyle McCord might be the worst College Football QB I've seen since Reggie Ball - he's *bad* at football.

Egbuka lacks top end speed, but he's got everything else - incredible quickness and acceleration at 6' 1" 205lbs, runs really good routes, has impeccable hands and can contort to make really tough grabs. He reminds me of the Rams' WRs - Kupp and Pukachu aren't going to win any foot races, but they get open with relative ease and make catch after catch. 

Here's something new we have to consider - Egbuka has yet to declare. With a better QB coming down the pipeline (either freshman phenom Air Noland or Kansas State transfer Will Howard) along with a VERY deep WR class (former teammate Marvin Harrison Jr, Malik Nabers, Keon Coleman, Rome Odouze, AD Mitchell all jockeying for the top spot) and a ton of NIL money - is Egbuka even going to declare?

Ya, he honestly is probably staying due to all those factors