2024 NFL Draft Talk

lumberjackchris

1 hour ago, tab said:

What does the offense need next season? Is Nico that guy or do we need a 1st Rd WR?

I feel like Stroud/Nico are adjacent to Burrow/T. Higgins Year 1 - Then Cinci went out and got Burrow a Jamar Chase to go with Higgins (Which we should totally do as well in next years loaded class). I see Nico as a High End #2 WR, Low End #1; However, how he finishes this year could change my opinion/his trajectory. 

I think we will probably invest heavily next FA Cycle on the defensive side of the ball (Mainly so we can get a controllable 1st Round wide receiver next draft - which are becoming super expensive so better to draft them).

All those short contracts Nick made are gonna pay off because next year we are going to more than likely be a desirable Defensive Team to play for Under Meco. We can pick and choose who we resign and aren't hamstrung by long term deals done previously. The Short "prove it" veteran contracts did exactly what they needed to do by giving us a ton of Cap Space for a couple years, so we can try to do the rebuild correctly. Hardest Part is done now (Finding C.J.), so we can focus on filling in the building blocks around him. 

Super Excited For Next Offseason/Draft!

• Like 5

On 10/12/2023 at 11:44 AM, ET80 said:

So - a topic I've been hearing lately is a need at RB. Yes, we know Dameon Pierce is here and we all love his attitude and his running style.

This being said, there's a belief by many who follow the team that he's simply not a good fit for the offense; Our blocking schemes and run philosophy is heavily based on a ZBS "one cut and go" look we're familiar with during the Gary Kubiak days (back when Kyle Shanahan himself was on this staff). Pierce is a RB that runs to a hole with bad intentions, not the type of player who goes "one cut and go". Pierce has value as a change of pace power back in this system, but as an every down bellcow? Notsomuch.

Given this - does anyone have any specific RB in the college ranks that fits a ZBS?

Will Shipley seems like a poor mans CMC, which isn't bad. It little less speed and power but it still pretty shifty and good in the pass game.

6 hours ago, tab said:

What does the offense need next season? Is Nico that guy or do we need a 1st Rd WR?

2 needs, really 3 with the 3rd being a luxury. 

1. RB. I like Pierce, don't love him. This offense isn't the best fit for him. Seems that he is having problems trusting his eyes and in a zone system, you have to hit the whole and go. He played last yr in the power scheme and it fit him well. Get a speedy back then your offense may really go. 

2. #1 WR. I'd prefer to draft him in a heavy draft. Controllable contract and can grow with your young offense. You'll he committing heavy numbers signing a FA or trading for one and that money needs to go towards defense. Linebackers and IDL.

3. A luxury would be another TE. If Schultz goes down, you'll see a big hole from a pass catching point. I really, really want to see Brevin Jordan step into that role but it just isn't going to happen.

For the first time in forever, your OL is a strength. Both tackles (Howard preferably goes back to RT). Juice and Patterson playing together (G & C), and Shaq Mason. You drafted a LG last year and you still don't know what you have in him as well.

Edited by Blaze
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, lumberjackchris said:

Please push him down draft boards 

I can get behind Bowers, but I'd also be remiss to notice the gaping holes in the secondary - I'm leaning towards CB simply because Steven Nelson is the only reliable body back there. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ET80 said:

I can get behind Bowers, but I'd also be remiss to notice the gaping holes in the secondary - I'm leaning towards CB simply because Steven Nelson is the only reliable body back there. 

I still think Stingley will be HIM. To me, his sample size this year was significantly better than what was shown last year in an inferior system. They also will have the luxury of signing quality depth for when he ultimately gets hurt. Griffin and Varett prove this. 

I know, I know, the best ability is availability. 

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Blaze said:

I still think Stingley will be HIM. To me, his sample size this year was significantly better than what was shown last year in an inferior system. They also will have the luxury of signing quality depth for when he ultimately gets hurt. Griffin and Varett prove this. 

I know, I know, the best ability is availability. 

If Stingley turns out to be HIM, then we still have need of a CB. So far Stingley has turned out to be injuried. 

I agree with the RB being our #1 need people, and man does it feel good. Honestly though, you can't even say that you're guaranteed the best RB in the draft so long as you're willing to take them in the first round anymore. Robinson and Gibbs went really high (both top ten I think?), and I wouldn't be surprised to see that trend continue. Just imagine if we had like, an Arian Foster type guy right now how good our offense would be. With a prime Foster on this roster we might legitimately be a top 3 or 4 offense. 

After RB, in no particular order, I think we could upgrade at starting LB, starting DT, starting TE.. honestly that's probably about it for me in terms of starters. I think we've got enough capable players now to where LG isn't a pressing need anymore. Between Kenyon Green, Josh Jones, that guy from the Steelers, forget his name, and the two rookie interior guys, I think we're pretty solid there. I think we could upgrade Perryman, To'oTo'o, and probably Christian Harris too if we're being honest. Hopefully one or both of the young LBs emerges as a blue chipper by the end of the year. That's still very much possible. 

Maliek Collins is nice, but I was watching the Eagles after the Texans game and couldn't help but to notice that Jordan Davis is way ******* better. Schultz is good also, but he ain't no Gronk. We could use a bonafide all around TE, and that would be a sensible direction in the first round too I think. 

CB is rock solid, I don't know who's in a contract year or whatever, but I feel like we've got CBs coming out of our ears rn and I don't understand ppl saying we need to go CB early. Also, WR we're fuggin shtacked. Just wait until  Metchie gets going. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if he's the most consistently productive WR on our team by the end of the season. 

Can we please take a moment to just appreciate the fact that Caserio hit on Collins, honestly.. Brevin Jordan, Stingley, Pitre, Metchie (imo), Stroud, Anderson, Dell, Patterson, and honestly there's still reason to believe we hit on a lot of other players like Christian Harris and TQ, and Scruggs, and Xavier Hutchinson.. and on and on. I mean, so far he's very rarely missed completely. If we keep this up, I wouldn't be surprised if in a couple years he's regarded as one of if not the premiere general manager in the business. 

55 minutes ago, PAtexansFAN_99 said:

I agree with the RB being our #1 need people, and man does it feel good. Honestly though, you can't even say that you're guaranteed the best RB in the draft so long as you're willing to take them in the first round anymore. Robinson and Gibbs went really high (both top ten I think?), and I wouldn't be surprised to see that trend continue. Just imagine if we had like, an Arian Foster type guy right now how good our offense would be. With a prime Foster on this roster we might legitimately be a top 3 or 4 offense. 

After RB, in no particular order, I think we could upgrade at starting LB, starting DT, starting TE.. honestly that's probably about it for me in terms of starters. I think we've got enough capable players now to where LG isn't a pressing need anymore. Between Kenyon Green, Josh Jones, that guy from the Steelers, forget his name, and the two rookie interior guys, I think we're pretty solid there. I think we could upgrade Perryman, To'oTo'o, and probably Christian Harris too if we're being honest. Hopefully one or both of the young LBs emerges as a blue chipper by the end of the year. That's still very much possible. 

Maliek Collins is nice, but I was watching the Eagles after the Texans game and couldn't help but to notice that Jordan Davis is way ******* better. Schultz is good also, but he ain't no Gronk. We could use a bonafide all around TE, and that would be a sensible direction in the first round too I think. 

CB is rock solid, I don't know who's in a contract year or whatever, but I feel like we've got CBs coming out of our ears rn and I don't understand ppl saying we need to go CB early. Also, WR we're fuggin shtacked. Just wait until  Metchie gets going. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if he's the most consistently productive WR on our team by the end of the season. 

Can we please take a moment to just appreciate the fact that Caserio hit on Collins, honestly.. Brevin Jordan, Stingley, Pitre, Metchie (imo), Stroud, Anderson, Dell, Patterson, and honestly there's still reason to believe we hit on a lot of other players like Christian Harris and TQ, and Scruggs, and Xavier Hutchinson.. and on and on. I mean, so far he's very rarely missed completely. If we keep this up, I wouldn't be surprised if in a couple years he's regarded as one of if not the premiere general manager in the business. 

CBS are definitely coming out of our ears, and out of the woods and off the streets.