2024 NFL Draft Talk

lumberjackchris

On 9/24/2023 at 1:07 PM, lumberjackchris said:

This is shaping up a be a deeeep WR class 

I fully agree… but I ALSO think my radar is starting to wane on grabbing a WR early. Our guys are really looking good; Part of that is on Stroud, obviously. The other part is these guys might be a sound fit for what CJ can do. You’d think as Robert Woods starts slowing down, you can probably look to John Metchie or Xavier Hutchinson to pick up those receptions. There’s no star here, but you have plenty to work with.

Pretty much on a weekly basis, I’m starting to think we can pick one up later. Right now - unless they’re on the clock and MHJ is still on the board - burning a 3rd would be a good investment for a WR (AD Mitchell, JaCorey Brooks, Jermaine Burton come to mind). I might even lean to Georgia TE Brock Bowers over MHJ of the Texans are on the board and both are available; Bowers is probably the most gifted TE to declare since Kyle Pitts, he reminds me more of AJ Brown as a target than any other TE. WR could be set, but a TE like Bowers is going to be a significant upgrade over Schultz (an impending FA) Quitty and Jordan.

I think starting this Saturday, I’m going to pay closer attention to the IDL and CBs in this draft. I know Kool Aid McKinstry isn’t having the year expected out of him, so CB is a real crapshoot this season. Most folk say Max Melton out of Rutgers might be the best at the position, but I’ve never watched him play before.

As far as IDL - yipes, it’s thin. Both in talent and size. I’m probably going to keep an eye on Michigan DT Kris Jenkins (yeah, the former Carolina DTs son… yeesh, I’m getting old). Nazir Stackhouse out of Georgia has some size, but is nowhere near the level of player as his former running mates Jordan Davis and Jalen Carter. It doesn’t look like he’s coming into that as well, but who knows.

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

I fully agree… but I ALSO think my radar is starting to wane on grabbing a WR early. Our guys are really looking good; Part of that is on Stroud, obviously. The other part is these guys might be a sound fit for what CJ can do. You’d think as Robert Woods starts slowing down, you can probably look to John Metchie or Xavier Hutchinson to pick up those receptions. There’s no star here, but you have plenty to work with.

Pretty much on a weekly basis, I’m starting to think we can pick one up later. Right now - unless they’re on the clock and MHJ is still on the board - burning a 3rd would be a good investment for a WR (AD Mitchell, JaCorey Brooks, Jermaine Burton come to mind). I might even lean to Georgia TE Brock Bowers over MHJ of the Texans are on the board and both are available; Bowers is probably the most gifted TE to declare since Kyle Pitts, he reminds me more of AJ Brown as a target than any other TE. WR could be set, but a TE like Bowers is going to be a significant upgrade over Schultz (an impending FA) Quitty and Jordan.

I think starting this Saturday, I’m going to pay closer attention to the IDL and CBs in this draft. I know Kool Aid McKinstry isn’t having the year expected out of him, so CB is a real crapshoot this season. Most folk say Max Melton out of Rutgers might be the best at the position, but I’ve never watched him play before.

As far as IDL - yipes, it’s thin. Both in talent and size. I’m probably going to keep an eye on Michigan DT Kris Jenkins (yeah, the former Carolina DTs son… yeesh, I’m getting old). Nazir Stackhouse out of Georgia has some size, but is nowhere near the level of player as his former running mates Jordan Davis and Jalen Carter. It doesn’t look like he’s coming into that as well, but who knows.

What was impressive is that Collins had 2 games where he was looking like a legit number 1 and the Jags took him out of the game completely and Dell stepped up. If those two can continue to feed off each other like that, it’s gonna help a ton. Robert Woods is essentially the 3rd option right now and Metchie is the 4th. Once Metchie gets a year to get back into shape, he can be that 3rd guy. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

i don't like this IDL class. My only real hope for IDL help is that we do well enough that we can convince Chris Jones we are worth coming to, and throw the money we have at him

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, mse326 said:

i don't like this IDL class. My only real hope for IDL help is that we do well enough that we can convince Chris Jones we are worth coming to, and throw the money we have at him

Same thought here, but I’m leaning towards Leonard Williams. Would be stoked for either, as well as Christian Wilkins. 

If ever there was a year to spend that war chest we’ve been building up, it might be next year with this IDL FA bumper crop. With Stroud on a rookie deal, you want to push your chips in and buy a premium asset vs the typical Caserio one year special.

• Like 1