2024 NFL Draft Talk

lumberjackchris

Keep in mind, we can also trade for a veteran receiver if we aren’t in range to get an elite receiver in the draft. This worked out for the eagles and dolphins last year, both teams have/ had up and coming quarterbacks.

A player that might want out of their situation is Tampa bay wideout - Mike Evans. 

Also, there have been plenty elite or high end receivers drafted in the 2nd round these last few years.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, ObotimusPrime said:

Keep in mind, we can also trade for a veteran receiver if we aren’t in range to get an elite receiver in the draft. This worked out for the eagles and dolphins last year, both teams have/ had up and coming quarterbacks.

A player that might want out of their situation is Tampa bay wideout - Mike Evans. 

Also, there have been plenty elite or high end receivers drafted in the 2nd round these last few years.

I think the Bucs are of the mindset, let's see what Mayfield can do with at least 1 weapon... but if they start out bad, I could see them selling on Evans around the trade deadline and eat the dead cap.   Might be able to snag him for a 3rd or 4th because he is expiring.  That could be the game plan all along....

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/10/2023 at 12:27 PM, Pastor Dillon said:

I think its nearly a must that we go WR in round 1 next year. Hopefully the browns are pick 10-15 range and miss the playoffs. 

Circling back to this- we’ll have a bunch a cap room and a lot of young receivers in the room for 2024. I think it makes sense to get our WR1 through free agency or trade for a disgruntled one (unless we’re in position MHJ of course) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ObotimusPrime said:

Circling back to this- we’ll have a bunch a cap room and a lot of young receivers in the room for 2024. I think it makes sense to get our WR1 through free agency or trade for a disgruntled one (unless we’re in position MHJ of course) 

I’m sort of in agreement, and think CB2 might be the more important need - depending on where the Cleveland pick is, it might behoove the team to pick the BPA at DB and let that player work their way into a rotation. 

This particular WR class is REALLY deep, much like how this past TE class was REALLY deep - you’ll find elite guys at the top of the 2nd, guys who would have been 1st round guys any other year.

9 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I’m sort of in agreement, and think CB2 might be the more important need - depending on where the Cleveland pick is, it might behoove the team to pick the BPA at DB and let that player work their way into a rotation. 

And wouldn’t you know - there are currently THREE Alabama DBs sitting on first round grades:

CB Kool-Aid McKinstry

CB Terrion Arnold

CB/S Malachi Moore

Given the propensity of this regime to pick ‘bama guys, I’m going to go ahead and bet that one of these three guys are going to be drafted by the Texans (and I’m going to say it’s Moore, the Starbacker who will be starting in Brian Branch’s old spot).

Injuries and poor play could have these guys come down from these lofty expectations, but… one way or another, one of these guys is a Texan next season.

On 5/10/2023 at 10:25 AM, ObotimusPrime said:

Keep in mind, we can also trade for a veteran receiver if we aren’t in range to get an elite receiver in the draft.

Lot of chatter that Raiders WR Davante Adams might be available - his contract is pretty prohibitive, so he’d have to restructure his deal to get under THIS years’ cap. However, the space we have in following years would be more than sufficient. 

Adams is arguably the best WR in football, he’d immediately lock up that top spot in the pecking order with Stroud. Whether or not he wants to join what’s bound to be a dire situation in ‘23 remains to be seen, but it’s on The Captain to convince him of what’s brewing here.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ET80 said:

Lot of chatter that Raiders WR Davante Adams might be available - his contract is pretty prohibitive, so he’d have to restructure his deal to get under THIS years’ cap. However, the space we have in following years would be more than sufficient. 

Adams is arguably the best WR in football, he’d immediately lock up that top spot in the pecking order with Stroud. Whether or not he wants to join what’s bound to be a dire situation in ‘23 remains to be seen, but it’s on The Captain to convince him of what’s brewing here.

If that happens, I'd he much more optimistic if the possbilities this season. #1 WR is glaring. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, ET80 said:

That $30M+ in dead cap to the Raiders probably prevents a deal getting done.   Now Mike Evans....

7 minutes ago, jch1911 said:

That $30M+ in dead cap to the Raiders probably prevents a deal getting done.   Now Mike Evans....

Per Spotrac, that’s dead cap if he’s released post 6/1. If he’s traded post 6/1, it’s $7.8mm dead cap - not quite the hit:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/las-vegas-raiders/davante-adams-14463/?callback=in&code=MDCYMDM1ZWUTYJM5ZS0ZZWU4LTG0MJGTZJEYZDEXZMVINZHK&state=58b78386707a4dedb4a73b70363c7b35

10 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Per Spotrac, that’s dead cap if he’s released post 6/1. If he’s traded post 6/1, it’s $7.8mm dead cap - not quite the hit:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/las-vegas-raiders/davante-adams-14463/?callback=in&code=MDCYMDM1ZWUTYJM5ZS0ZZWU4LTG0MJGTZJEYZDEXZMVINZHK&state=58b78386707a4dedb4a73b70363c7b35

Interesting, usually the signing bonus & restructure $$ would all have to be paid by the Raiders.  That's $30M+.

But I plugged it into Overthecap and you're correct after June 1.  I don't know how that works... lol

https://overthecap.com/calculator/las-vegas-raiders

That being said, I still think Evans would be a better get - but I suggested Adams on another board for 2024 2nd and 2025 1st.

Edited by jch1911
  • Like 1

Just now, jch1911 said:

That being said, I still think Evans would be a better get - but I suggested Adams on another board for 2024 2nd and 2025 1st.

I think Evans is a fine WR, but I also think Adams is better overall. Honestly, it would come down to price, which one could be had for less of a commitment (which is probably Evans, but the financial commitment that’s due Adams could lower his price…)

• 5 weeks later...

https://www.si.com/nfl/texans/news/houston-supplemental-draft-cj-stroud-milton-wright-receiver-pick

Given the need at the position, I’d think about bidding a 4th round pick for Milton Wright. He’s got the requisite size and ball skills to be a dependable perimeter threat - physical, can box out and fight through defenders, smart route runner with exceptional hands (per his PFN scouting report - I’m not going to pretend I watch a ton of Purdue football).

Not sure if another rookie with no NFL experience moves the needle much, but another body with a promising resume never hurts. 

56 minutes ago, ET80 said:

https://www.si.com/nfl/texans/news/houston-supplemental-draft-cj-stroud-milton-wright-receiver-pick

Given the need at the position, I’d think about bidding a 4th round pick for Milton Wright. He’s got the requisite size and ball skills to be a dependable perimeter threat - physical, can box out and fight through defenders, smart route runner with exceptional hands (per his PFN scouting report - I’m not going to pretend I watch a ton of Purdue football).

Not sure if another rookie with no NFL experience moves the needle much, but another body with a promising resume never hurts. 

I forgot the supplemental draft was even a thing. 

1 hour ago, Pastor Dillon said:

I forgot the supplemental draft was even a thing. 

Hasn’t been a thing for the last three years - it only comes into play when a player who would be draft eligible applies for draft eligibility following the draft.