2024 NFL Draft Talk

lumberjackchris

8 minutes ago, ET80 said:

This is why I'm bullish on drafting a WR high - not just because shiny toys for Stroud is good, but because this is hedging against Nico Collins as a FA. 

I believe Collins is locked in for 24'.  If he keeps playing as he has he won't have to worry about Houston paying him what he deserves.  Drafting another WR would make all THREE of them better, presumably. 

4 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Sweat is a massive red flag for me

Yea, I think we'll have to wait and see if he drops some weight and shows up for the combine and pro day in good shape.  That's how Jalen Carter dropped.  Well, he had his off-the-field concern with that tragic car-racing incident in which a couple of Georgia staffers were killed!  And then he couldn't finish Georgia's pro-day because he was too out of shape.  Understandably, some teams passed on him but then the Eagles traded up a spot to pick him.  He's had a great year.  Will it continue?  

A year earlier the Eagles took his teammate, monster DT Jordan Davis.  I haven't follow him closely but did read a thread wherein some Eagles fans were discussing if he's a bust.  Some of these guys are just too damn big and that might true with Sweat too.  

• Like 1

Just now, ObotimusPrime said:We did it with tank, and Puka Nacua was a day 3 pick. 

Even though they didn’t look good yesterday, Washington has some good WRs outside of Odunze that will get drafted after the 1st round. 

Oregon also had some good prospects that aren’t getting super hyped in Troy Franklin and Tez Johnson

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Heavy_Flow said:

Corum is rated as the #2 back in the draft.  

https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/positions/RB/2/2024

It might be tough for him.  Normally when you take a RB early you take him because you think he is a 20+ carry a game type player.  I think Corum is legit but he wont be a workhorse back in the league. Plus his age might work against him. He is already 23 and will be 24 through his whole rookie year. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Texansfan713 said:

It might be tough for him.  Normally when you take a RB early you take him because you think he is a 20+ carry a game type player.  I think Corum is legit but he wont be a workhorse back in the league. Plus his age might work against him. He is already 23 and will be 24 through his whole rookie year. 

Age and the wear and tear he already has. I’m surprised he didn’t enter the draft last year bc of that, but he had visions of being an Ann Harbor legend. 

I think he’s gonna be a late day 3 pick. 

edit: I also think he might be 4.6 forty guy, that might not help. 

Edited by ObotimusPrime
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Heavy_Flow said:
3 hours ago, ET80 said:

This is why I'm bullish on drafting a WR high - not just because shiny toys for Stroud is good, but because this is hedging against Nico Collins as a FA. 

I believe Collins is locked in for 24'.  If he keeps playing as he has he won't have to worry about Houston paying him what he deserves.  Drafting another WR would make all THREE of them better, presumably. 

Yeah, he's in a contract year for '25. It seems straightforward to pay him, but if he's demanding top money for the position (love the guy but he's not Tyreek or Jefferson) then you have to have secondary options waiting in the wings. 

15 hours ago, Heavy_Flow said:

Someone will sign him but what will he cost?  

Player Pos. 2023 Team 2024 Team Type Snaps Age Current APY Guarantees
Mike Evans WR Buccaneers   Void 78.2% 31 $16,500,000 $38,258,000

Well all of our major needs are at premium positions like DT and DB and are gonna cost significant $$$. Adding Evans on a medium to short deal would make our receiver room one of the best in the league. Strength on strength - having a positional dominate unit  (on offense or defense) is how teams go deep in the playoffs.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ObotimusPrime said:

Age and the wear and tear he already has. I’m surprised he didn’t enter the draft last year bc of that, but he had visions of being an Ann Harbor legend. 

I think he’s gonna be a late day 3 pick. 

edit: I also think he might be 4.6 forty guy, that might not help. 

Yeah, Corum feels like a classic Michigan RB - really fun to watch at the college level but has a ton of mileage accumulated (675 carries to be exact) and doesn't really show out in the passing game. RBs who can catch the ball exceptionally well get drafted high nowadays, and Corum is a guy who was never really involved in that sense.

He has a place in the NFL as a two down RB, but you don't really draft those guys high. 

• Like 1

On 1/9/2024 at 11:28 AM, ET80 said:

Yeah, he's in a contract year for '25. It seems straightforward to pay him, but if he's demanding top money for the position (love the guy but he's not Tyreek or Jefferson) then you have to have secondary options waiting in the wings. 

I wonder if we should pay him this off season, maybe get him a little cheaper than what it would cost to lock him up after next year. We have plenty of money to front load his deal this off season and get him on the hook for the next 4 years. After that when Stroud and Anderson are due their big pay days, we can cut bait with him or figure that out. 

What we dont want to do is have him go for 1500 yards next year and then be demanding top 5 WR money and lose him. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

What we dont want to do is have him go for 1500 yards next year and then be demanding top 5 WR money and lose him. 

I presume that Nico will ask for and get something reasonable.  He has to be thankful to finally have a good QB throwing to him and an OC that gets it.  He seems to have good chemistry with the team and so I'm not at all worried about Nico going elsewhere after next season.