2024 NFL Draft Talk

lumberjackchris

2 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

espn mock has us taking Byron Murphey at 26th in round 1 

Very possible.  DT is a need going forward and maybe an immediate need depending on whether or not we re-sign Maliek Collins or another DT.  It's possible, however, that they use the #1 on a WR IF the right guy is available.  

I like to watch various mock drafts.  Some of them are projecting us to take an IOL with our #1 but I don't think that's going to happen this year as they likely will want to give Scruggs and Patterson their sophomore years (so to speak) to prove themselves.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

espn mock has us taking Byron Murphey at 26th in round 1 

They also list our needs as IDL, LB, OL

Haven't watched him play much, but his scouting report sounds promising - a big undersized but a twitched up guy who plays very violently. That's a good fit next to Will Anderson, who is similar in those traits.

I'm going to watch a bit more.

• Like 1

On 1/2/2024 at 2:07 PM, Pastor Dillon said:

I bet he gets out. They don’t have a QB over there at Ohio state. 

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you the power of NIL.

He ultimately understands he's NOT a 1st round guy, so he's banking on another year (a year without a stacked WR class and with better QB play) to get him into that 1st round.

NIL money makes this an easier decision.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, ET80 said:

He ultimately understands he's NOT a 1st round guy, so he's banking on another year (a year without a stacked WR class and with better QB play) to get him into that 1st round.

Guys can make more in college than they can going pro lol what a world. College football is such a mess. the 12 team playoff will help, but money has become more important to college football than anything else. It has led to crazy conference merging. It is the sole reason Florida State was not in the playoffs. I will never be convinced that FSU's defense couldn't have shut down that Michigan offense. Michigan still wins, but they win something like 20-13 or 17-10 in a close game. That's what should have happened, but the dollar got in the way and they needed the SEC in the playoffs. 

As for Egbuka, this could help our chances of landing him. If Nico gets out of our price range, we could be looking for a replacement in next years draft in the 1st round and Egbuka could be it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ET80 said:

In other news:

3 hours ago, ET80 said:

There are a number of other Ohio State guys returning.  It speaks to the culture of that program, although I was sort of hoping he might come out in order to deepen the WR class in case we want to take one.  

• Like 1

On 1/12/2024 at 5:49 PM, lumberjackchris said:

Henderson just announced he’s staying at OSU for his SR year

So is JTT.  Ohio State will probably be ranked preseason #1.  I'm amazed at all of the NFL talent returning to Columbus.

I presume that Dallas losing is also good for our position in the 24' draft as Green Bay would have had a higher pick than Cleveland (our's) but Dallas will not.  Our pick that's going to Arizona will also be lower and so I'm thinking that our pick should NOW be no worse than #22 rather than #24.  A Rams win tonight would move us to no worse than #21.  :)

Edited by Heavy_Flow

Last 10 23rd overall picks 

‘14 - DE Dee Ford
‘15 - DE Shane Ray
‘16 - WR Laquon Treadwell
‘17 - TE Evan Ingram
‘18 - OL Isaiah Wynn
‘19 - OL Tytus Howard
‘20 - LB Kenneth Murray
‘21 - OL Christian Darrisaw
‘22 - CB Kaiir Elam
‘23 - WR Jordan Addison

• Like 1

5 hours ago, lumberjackchris said:

Last 10 23rd overall picks 

‘14 - DE Dee Ford
‘15 - DE Shane Ray
‘16 - WR Laquon Treadwell
‘17 - TE Evan Ingram
‘18 - OL Isaiah Wynn
‘19 - OL Tytus Howard
‘20 - LB Kenneth Murray
‘21 - OL Christian Darrisaw
‘22 - CB Kaiir Elam
‘23 - WR Jordan Addison

Yowza, not a very good list. Darrisaw is one of the best T in football and Addison looked good as a rookie, Engram had to find a home in Jacksonville for it to work out for him...

Not that this really means anything, but this list is bad.

• Like 1