2024 NFL Draft Talk

lumberjackchris

2 hours ago, ET80 said:

I found Brugler's mock on The Athletic - if you're a subscriber, check it out. Brugler's got some good gems in there and has a relatively decent hit rate on these things (it was either Brugler or Daniel Jeremiah who floated around the idea of the Texans trading up from 12 to 3 last draft). 

I don't know much about Fuaga, but I hear "best run blocker in the draft" and I get horrible flashbacks to Kenyon Green as a prospect. The success rate of G drafted in the first is pretty low, I'd much rather try to find someone on day 2-3 (or sign a vet in FA - contracts for stater quality G is really cheap compared to the rest of the OL). McKinstry is still on the board there, he'd be my choice.

2nd round does address WR - but both Worthy and Franklin are gone, and Brugler suggests Western Kentucky WR Malachi Corley. I have to admit, I'm a bit behind on my Hilltoppers football so I don't have any immediate feedback on the guy. This being said, a few scouting sites draw comparisons to 49ers WR Deebo Samuel - a guy who earned the nickname "The YAC King". 

Here's a few draft profiles on him:

https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/Malachi-Corley-WR-WesternKentucky

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/malachi-corley-draft-scouting-2024/

https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/10095841-malachi-corley-nfl-draft-2024-scouting-report-for-western-kentucky-wr.amp.html

Honestly - he sounds a little too good to be true. Rookies with his skillset don't last too long, and his plus contact balance along with explosiveness in his change of direction means someone is going to covet him quickly. 

Assuming he tests well and performs at a standard level for the position, I'd surmise he'd go earlier than our selection in the 2nd.

Who does Brugler have us picking in the first?

5 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Tailese Fuaga, OL out of Oregon State.

Thanks.  I read so many different mock drafts that I have a hard time keeping them straight.  I think Fuaga will be gone before we pick.  

By the way, I saw another mock with us taking your boy Franklin out of Oregon with our first.  

17 minutes ago, Heavy_Flow said:

Thanks.  I read so many different mock drafts that I have a hard time keeping them straight.  I think Fuaga will be gone before we pick.  

By the way, I saw another mock with us taking your boy Franklin out of Oregon with our first.  

I mean, I can see it - I personally wouldn't, but I also would have taken Bryce Young over CJ Stroud, so I'm not exactly an authority on the subject. 🤣

16 minutes ago, LORK88 said:

The Texans had Bryce as their #1 QB on their board. Will Anderson was actually their #1 overall, but QB was too important to pass up. 

We are all forever grateful for Lovie Smith and the Carolina Panthers Organization 

Edited by lumberjackchris
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Heavy_Flow said:

I'm not disputing your statement but how do you know that, please?

I've got a very reliable source within the NFL. Others can vouch, but he's been right on Stingley, CJ, and WAJ. It's part of the reason why I'm bullish on not drafting a WR in the first round, becuase I've heard we'll go after Mike Evans in FA and we've hit on day 2 WRs recently. By no means is this gospel or 100% accuracy, but if I feel good about something, I'll share it. This year will be tough since we're picking so late in the day (which is a great problem to have). 

https://forums.footballsfuture.com/topic/36166-2022-nfl-draft-talk/?do=findComment&comment=4510422

https://forums.footballsfuture.com/topic/43223-2023-nfl-draft-talk/?do=findComment&comment=5173601

• Like 5

2 hours ago, LORK88 said:

I've got a very reliable source within the NFL. Others can vouch, but he's been right on Stingley, CJ, and WAJ. It's part of the reason why I'm bullish on not drafting a WR in the first round, becuase I've heard we'll go after Mike Evans in FA and we've hit on day 2 WRs recently. By no means is this gospel or 100% accuracy, but if I feel good about something, I'll share it. This year will be tough since we're picking so late in the day (which is a great problem to have). 

https://forums.footballsfuture.com/topic/36166-2022-nfl-draft-talk/?do=findComment&comment=4510422

https://forums.footballsfuture.com/topic/43223-2023-nfl-draft-talk/?do=findComment&comment=5173601

You definitely have the receipts!  Thanks!  

Any guess on what position we might want to draft with our #1 or might it be best available player? 

Edited by Heavy_Flow
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Heavy_Flow said:

You definitely have the receipts!  Thanks!  

Any guess on what position we might want to draft with our #1 or might it be best available player? 

It's too early to tell. We have money to spend so I heard we're looking to sign 1-2 impact players in FA which will dictate what we do in the draft. I know there's strong interest in Mike Evans and he wants to come back to Texas. It also was easier in the past since we had high picks. I think this year, there will be a few names, but it'll be hard to be definitive on anyone since we're picking so late. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, LORK88 said:

It's too early to tell. We have money to spend so I heard we're looking to sign 1-2 impact players in FA which will dictate what we do in the draft. I know there's strong interest in Mike Evans and he wants to come back to Texas. It also was easier in the past since we had high picks. I think this year, there will be a few names, but it'll be hard to be definitive on anyone since we're picking so late. 

Thank you!  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, LORK88 said:

I do wonder if Mike Evans is having 2nd thoughts with TB playing well and them wanting to give Baker a legit shot? Age and salary may make TB pause though.

• Like 1