2024 NFL Draft Talk

lumberjackchris

1 hour ago, Kirby Drive said:

I get your sentiment, but I disagree Caserio needs to add a significant improvement at the WR position. The question is do you do this in the 1st rd (Thomas, Coleman etc...) or wait until the 3rd/4th rd (Wilson/Rice/M. Washington/Pearsall etc...) I lean towards the latter.

I wonder if this narrative holds true if Tank doesn't get hurt - based on per game performance, he was on pace for a little over 1,000 yards; There were only three teams last year with two 1,000 WRs (Miami, Philadelphia, TB). Nico and Tank should be viewed in that sort of category. 

I honestly don't mind grabbing a permanent body for that #3 spot, but I don't think pushing for a 1st (or even a 2nd) for a guy who ultimately is the 3rd option. Day 3 is perfectly fine by me, a 2nd or 3rd tier FA is also acceptable. 

• Like 1

Here is a thought I had. 

let’s say Washington is in love with Marvin Harrison Jr or don’t love Drake Maye 

let’s say they pass a QB and take a WR, figuring they will just give Howell a legit weapon. 

then let’s say that pick 23 rolls around and they have a top 10 grade on a QB like McCarthy or Daniels or a top 20 grade on Penix or Nix or whatever, let’s just say they want a QB at 23 

looking at the trade value chart Pick 23 in exchange for picks 36 and 67 is pretty even, we might pay them a future 4th or something like that. 

would you say no?

• Like 2

I am all for making moves, but I will say that our 2025 1st has to be off limits in trades. We have to keep that pick. There is a ton of room to expect the team to regress next year:

- We were starting a 2-3 year rebuild and vastly overperformed

- We have 1/2 our roster in free agency

- We have a 10x tougher schedule next year

I am not saying we are going to suck, what I am saying is that we cant get too caught up in win now mode and then have 1 injury cause us to trade away a top 10 pick for next year. 

My current thoughts with the 23rd pick -

1. Draft Newton if he falls to us.

2. Draft Cooper DeJean or Nate Wiggins if either of them fall to us. 

3. Draft Brian Thomas Jr if he falls to us.

4. Trade back. I’d rather have three 2nd round picks than overdraft anyone with the 23rd. Was listening to Danial Jeremiah recently and he reminded me of a good point. Most prospects past 20 don’t have a first round grade (depending on the draft). I’d rather have more shots at getting a difference maker than reaching. It’s how the Chiefs sustained their success post Tyreek/ Mahomes big contract. 

…we already hit with 2 franchise players early on with last year’s draft. Let’s really start to round out the roster with a bunch of young talent. 

Edited by ObotimusPrime
  • Like 3

44 minutes ago, ObotimusPrime said:

1. Draft Newton if he falls to us.

2. Draft Cooper DeJean or Nate Wiggins if either of them fall to us. 

3. Draft Brian Thomas Jr if he falls to us.

- Newton is probably my favorite option at 23. I see shades of Ed Oliver in him.

- DeJean, Wiggins and Kool-Aid all fit what I'd like to see opposite Sting. Good with this pickup.

- I'm really thinking WR in round 1 is a luxury that I'd skip on. Is Thomas considerably better than Nico or Tank? I can't say that. I'd prefer later for the position unless something unlikely happens (Nabers or MHJ is there at 23).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

- I'm really thinking WR in round 1 is a luxury that I'd skip on. Is Thomas considerably better than Nico or Tank? I can't say that. I'd prefer later for the position unless something unlikely happens (Nabers or MHJ is there at 23).

I also forgot to mention Troy Franklin to the late 1st round mix. 

But with the depth in the draft, you’re probably right. And I think this was mentioned already - given Caserio’s success in day 2&3 receivers, he’ll most likely wait again. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, ObotimusPrime said:

I also forgot to mention Troy Franklin to the late 1st round mix. 

But with the depth in the draft, you’re probably right. And I think this was mentioned already - given Caserio’s success in day 2&3 receivers, he’ll most likely wait again. 

Franklin is one I'm keeping eyes on - if he slips to the top of the 2nd, I hope Caserio can maneuver up to get him. He fits the mold of different/complimentary talents alongside Nico/Tank. 

• Like 1

On 2/7/2024 at 1:41 PM, Pastor Dillon said:

Here is a thought I had. 

let’s say Washington is in love with Marvin Harrison Jr or don’t love Drake Maye 

let’s say they pass a QB and take a WR, figuring they will just give Howell a legit weapon. 

then let’s say that pick 23 rolls around and they have a top 10 grade on a QB like McCarthy or Daniels or a top 20 grade on Penix or Nix or whatever, let’s just say they want a QB at 23 

looking at the trade value chart Pick 23 in exchange for picks 36 and 67 is pretty even, we might pay them a future 4th or something like that. 

would you say no?

I'd prefer a 1st rounder next year. We actually did a pretty good job getting servicable bodies on the team very quickly. We need playmakers more than depth bodies. So I think our 1st this year is more valuable to us than adding the extra pick, so if we do trade it it needs to be for what we'd expect to be a top 15 pick next year

• Like 1

I would be very happy if Caserio went all offense minus edge in Rd.1 and brought back Most of the Texans FA's minus Greenard and Greenard's money would pay for these FA adds.

FA's Willie Gay LB Kansas City, 7 mil

Micah Hyde S Buffalo, 4 mil

Eddie Jackson S Chicago 3.5 Mil

Re-sign all of the Texans FA's Cashman/Barnett/ Rankins/Nelson/King/Tart/Schultz/Singletary/Jones etc...

Draft

Rd.1 Chop Robinson Edge Penn St.

Rd.2 Bucky Irving RB Oregon

Rd.3 Malik Washington WR Virginia

Rd.4 Ben Sinnott TE Kansas St.

Rd.4 Matt Goncalves OT Pitt

Gives Stroud the playmakers he needs and pairing Robinson with WA for at least the next 5 years would be great stuff.

• Like 1

On 2/9/2024 at 8:06 AM, mse326 said:

I'd prefer a 1st rounder next year. We actually did a pretty good job getting servicable bodies on the team very quickly. We need playmakers more than depth bodies. So I think our 1st this year is more valuable to us than adding the extra pick, so if we do trade it it needs to be for what we'd expect to be a top 15 pick next year

Teams rarely trade a future 1st for a late 1st round pick. 

12 hours ago, Kirby Drive said:

I would be very happy if Caserio went all offense minus edge in Rd.1 and brought back Most of the Texans FA's minus Greenard and Greenard's money would pay for these FA adds.

Re-sign all of the Texans FA's Cashman/Barnett/ Rankins/Nelson/King/Tart/Schultz/Singletary/Jones etc...

Draft

Gives Stroud the playmakers he needs and pairing Robinson with WA for at least the next 5 years would be great stuff.

I agree about Willie (TWSS?) and some of the re-signs.

I just love the energy!

Ty for sharing

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Kirby Drive said:

Draft

A few Buffalo fans I talk to tell me that Hyde is cooked - his legs are just too wrecked, guy can't move well laterally anymore. 

If there's an expectation that he's a 3/4th S, he can work - vet presence and whatnot. But if the expectation is that Hyde pushes for starter minutes, that might not work out well.

• Like 1