2024 NFL Draft Talk

lumberjackchris

28 minutes ago, Heavy_Flow said:

This WR might be available at 23.

I mentioned Franklin in a previous post of mine. Was hoping that he would make to the 2nd round with a class the deep at wideout. 

I really like Jayden Reed from the packers who was 2023 2nd round pick. If we could find someone of his caliber that can help stretch the field  I think we’d have a great WR room. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lumberjackchris said:

Im all for BPA, and I trust Caserio, but with the depth of the WR class, I just don’t see the value in getting one at 23

That's my take as well - this team has no glaring hole to address, but can upgrade pretty much every position (except QB, LT, RDE and CB1). Go true BPA and work whoever into the rotation at that particular position. If it's WR, so be it - just trust your evaluation and don't pick a guy just because you need to pick a guy. Work the board, if someone comes calling for a pick swap that gets you a 2nd in '24 and an extra 1st in '25? Bite at it.

As far as scouting what KIND of WR? Give me that downfield threat. Nico occupies that now but I think he's going to draw a lot of attention going forward, so expecting for EVERY coverage to bust would be silly. Tank is a multi level threat who can work all parts of the field and Robert Woods is the crafty vet who can find the soft zone and sit down (ideally, Xavier Hutchinson/John Metchie can occupy this role in the future). What this team lacks is a genuine burner, a guy who can get downfield in a hurry - think of DeSean Jackson or our old buddy Will Fuller. 

For this particular draft, I think Franklin and Texas WR Xavier Worthy fit these molds the best - I'm especially high on Worthy, who has legit track star speed (10.65 in the 100m) and was highly productive in college as a true freshman all the way until now. He's not going to go as high as you'd figure due to his slight in size (6' 0" 172lbs) but he's a great option on day 2 - think about Jalin Hyatt last draft, that pure burner who requires a deep S over the top. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ET80 said:

For this particular draft, I think Franklin and Texas WR Xavier Worthy fit these molds the best

I agree with you.  I like both of those guys.

I do presume it to be a PRIORITY with management to get another quality receiver in the rotation because the question is this: how much better would Stroud, Collins, Dell, Schultz, and the offense overall be with another quality WR?  Either Metchie steps up or they sign a high-quality guy through FA or they draft someone like Franklin or Worthy.  A quality, third, receiver is our greatest need and can deliver an IMMEDIATE impact for the team in 24'.  

4 hours ago, ET80 said:

That's my take as well - this team has no glaring hole to address, but can upgrade pretty much every position (except QB, LT, RDE and CB1). Go true BPA and work whoever into the rotation at that particular position. If it's WR, so be it - just trust your evaluation and don't pick a guy just because you need to pick a guy. Work the board, if someone comes calling for a pick swap that gets you a 2nd in '24 and an extra 1st in '25? Bite at it.

As far as scouting what KIND of WR? Give me that downfield threat. Nico occupies that now but I think he's going to draw a lot of attention going forward, so expecting for EVERY coverage to bust would be silly. Tank is a multi level threat who can work all parts of the field and Robert Woods is the crafty vet who can find the soft zone and sit down (ideally, Xavier Hutchinson/John Metchie can occupy this role in the future). What this team lacks is a genuine burner, a guy who can get downfield in a hurry - think of DeSean Jackson or our old buddy Will Fuller. 

For this particular draft, I think Franklin and Texas WR Xavier Worthy fit these molds the best - I'm especially high on Worthy, who has legit track star speed (10.65 in the 100m) and was highly productive in college as a true freshman all the way until now. He's not going to go as high as you'd figure due to his slight in size (6' 0" 172lbs) but he's a great option on day 2 - think about Jalin Hyatt last draft, that pure burner who requires a deep S over the top. 

I present to you Brian Thomas Jr.

6'4 and is a deep ball threat?  Sign me up.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Texansfan713 said:

I present to you Brian Thomas Jr.

6'4 and is a deep ball threat?  Sign me up.

He's a lock for the first - might even be a top 15 guy after testing. I'm ideally looking to day 2 for WR help, Nico and Tank are my 1/2.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blaze said:

Very underrated chess move.

It's actually pick 86.  That's why I didnt sweat the Anderson trade and giving up a 3rd for Arizona cause we got a 3rd rounder back for this year by trading a 4th.  Underrated move indeed.

• Like 2

Amazing how Arizona thought they were getting a top 3 pick from us this year and the best that pick can be now is #27. It has to be the latest pick the Texans have every had in the first round. 

Its gonna be interesting to see what the Texans do. We have done a lot better than anyone expected this season. So do we continue building like a franchise on the up and up or do we build like a super bowl contender. There is a difference. 

A team building on the up and up would be tempted to trade pick 23 and move back, perhaps to round 2 and pick up maybe two 2nds and a 3rd or perhaps bank a 1st rounder for next year. 

A team building to compete for a super bowl soon would possibly package a 3rd and a 4th rounder to move up into the 2nd round to get a guy. 

It will be an interesting approach. Do we try and hit a few home runs that can get us over the hump while we have a cheap QB or do we go for building depth. 

I disagree with an earlier take that we dont have glaring holes....we do....Safety is a big hole and so is linebacker. Free agency could also be really unkind to us. 

I like the BPA available approach but sprinkle in some need with it as well. I like the BPA at a top 5 area of need approach. We obviously wont be totally 100% BPA, we aren't taking a QB, and i doubt we take an edge rusher unless we lose Greenard. I would say we take the BPA of Safety, CB, DT, LB, IOL, TE. I am going to say that we take WR off the draft board in the first 2 rounds. We will cut woods, but we will have Nico, Dell, Methcie, Xaiver and I suspect we sign a low end WR and possibly a mid tier guy or we bring back Brown. I just don't see spending top end capitol on a WR.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

I just don't see spending top end capitol on a WR.

I guess it depends on if management believes that Metchie is going to step up next season.  If not then I think it's the #1 team need.  

1 hour ago, Heavy_Flow said:

I guess it depends on if management believes that Metchie is going to step up next season.  If not then I think it's the #1 team need.  

Caserio drafted Nico Collins and Tank Dell in the 3rd. His thought process is using a 1st on a WR is a luxury they can do without because they've found success outside of it. 

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, LORK88 said:

Caserio drafted Nico Collins and Tank Dell in the 3rd. His thought process is using a 1st on a WR is a luxury they can do without because they've found success outside of it. 

Another 3rd round target?

Florida State's Johnny Wilson had one of best one-handed catches ever

• Like 2